WWYCD?: Doppelgänger?

Drhoz

1peaka.jpg

This has probably been a WWYCD? before, but what the hell -

Your character is off duty at the base, or at home, when an apparently exact duplicate of yourself opens the door and walks in. They certainly seem surprised to see you there. Wot Do?

Harshal, from the Streets of Magnimar game, would immediately knife them in the throat, since there is no good reason for a duplicate of himself to be coming in. His actual allies would know better, magical and monstrous duplicates are a thing, and if it's some good adventurer who investigating organised crime in Magnimar, using Disguise Self, and didn't expect Harshal to actually be home, then Harshal can always claim self-defense on the grounds of the fact that magical and monstrous duplicates are a thing.

Jrska would go find that time machine from the other WWYCD and enjoy a threesome with herself.

Vitus would be suspicious, but is aware that alternate universes are a thing, as is time travel, etc. A few protective spells and a defensive stance are in order, at least until questioning can confirm whether or not this is a Doppelgänger, clone, multiversal duplicate, transporter accident, android body-double, or so on. The biggest risk would be if they ARE some kind of alternate-universe Vitus, and they seem to be happier in their life then him. Because Vitus' white-hot furious despair that any version of himself is actually HAPPY would be difficult to describe, and probably murderous.

Zero is quite a powerful telepath. If they are some kind of clone duplicate, the telepathic resonance as they confirm each other's identity would probably put everybody in Edge City into a coma. 

Felix from Shadowrun would be diving for cover and casting spells and screaming for help as soon as he got over the initial surprise. He's not aware of magical duplicates or holodisguises that good, but there's no way that one showing up is a good thing. 

Ripper K would probably go 'huh.' Might use furniture as a barricade just in case. Ask a few questions that anybody trying to imitate him are staggeringly unlikely to know even if they combed through his social media. Contact the rest of the team, and warn them that there's a body double at the apartment, and to start using identification codephrases until this is sorted out. Probably a 50/50 chance of this suddenly going into combat, or ending up in bed together. 

Techmarine Tawhaki would immeadiately go into combat and broadcast a warning about the Alpha Legion infiltraitor on every channel. He's probably still going to die, but there's a small chance that the warning will get out. 

Lady Heart: Rob would be cautious, but wouldn't exactly be eager to fight (s/he thinks if s/he resorts to violence outside of self defense or the defense of others is wrong). Rob would probably think it might be one of his magical enimies (maybe Incubus or the Dark Kingdom from Sailor Moon or Dark Agency from Salor V). Which is more likely Zoicite in disguise. 

Sunburn: He is in semi-retirement and a public identity, so of course a shape changing mutant would assume his identity. But can the ganger be able to mimic John's powers of light absorption and emition? He'll find out soon.

Sailor Titan: Not a Champions character but created for a Amino roleplay. It would be likely be either one of two things.

1) Her younger self using Sailor Pluto's Time Door to pay her Crystal Tokyo self a visit.

2) A youma created to discredit Sailor Titan. 

In 1 there will be no fight at all. In 2 there has to be a fight.

Martin Power: "Oh, good.  😕    It's going to be one of _those_ days again...." then largely ignore it until something threatening actually happens.

The Good Guy: "Wha-- aw, _CRAP_!  Aw crap aw crap aw crap--!  NO!  NooOOOooOOO!  It can't be!  It can't be!  I've worked so hard- so stupidly hard!  And for what?  Just to find out I'm an evil twin?!  I didn't know!  I swear; I did NOT know!  How?  How could I know?  No one expects to become an evil twin!  Why would you even-- THE GUNS!  [stares at the guns in his hands as if he has never seen them before.  Glances at reflection in storefront window and the bandoliers strung around him and the four long guns on his back]   The gun!  Oh my _GAWD_!  I should have known!  I should have known right away!  The guns!   I have _always_ been the villain.... [breaks into sobs and tears]   it's too late....   it's too late.....    Damn.   Well, I guess it's a done thing, then.  Time to get started on that killing spree.....    [points gun at doppelganger] Hey, Handsome!  Smile for the camera! [fires.  a lot.]  Wha---?  Non lethals?!   Crap, I'm an idiot, too!  [fires some more.  Stops. Looks apologetic]  I'm sorry; I'm sorry....  Look, I only just found out I'm evil like.... like, two minutes ago.  I'm not happy about it, but it is what it is.  So, if you'll wait right there for just a few minutes while I do a little shopping [fires different gun].  Crap!  Okay, a _lot_ of shopping-- anyway, I'll be right back, okay? [fires different gun. Looks at carbon copy]  Gawd... so much shopping....  Okay, look, I'll be right back.  Don't go anywhere...!   Wait a minute-- I'm an evil twin!  I can _steal_ the stuff I need!  Sweet!"

Armorine: is full-well aware that there are at least four other copies of her, and will assume that this is one of them.  Study / investigate, act accordingly.

hmm, I forgot how ROVER would react.  Not shoot at him, obviously, which is the result of a programming shortcut that his creator installed to avoid having to programme in self-recognition in a world that still has mirrors. 'Don't Shoot At Anything That Looks Like This Even If It Has A Gun'. If the dopple IS a duplicate, somehow, then I expect considerable mutual confusion and lots of whirring of their tape memory. 

"QUERY: Identify Yourself?"

"This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton"

"PARSING: +++ ERROR+++ This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton. Restate Identification?"

"This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton.QUERY: Identify Yourself?"

"This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton"

"PARSING: +++ ERROR+++ This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton. Restate Identification?"

"This Unit Nomeclature ROVER, Mobile Personal Defence Automaton.QUERY: Identify Yourself?"

And so on.

Any kind of AI that doesn't run on an old ATARI and 8-track tapes will no doubt run circles around ROVER if it's careful (although most humans are too wide to fit into an accurate disguise), but even if they're somekind of shape-shifter, alien, illusionist etc they'd have to be careful not to trigger ROVER's usual default - shoot them and let somebody more intelligent ask questions later. 

9 hours ago, Drhoz said:

Any kind of AI that doesn't run on an old ATARI and 8-track tapes will no doubt run circles around ROVER if it's careful (although most humans are too wide to fit into an accurate disguise), but even if they're somekind of shape-shifter, alien, illusionist etc they'd have to be careful not to trigger ROVER's usual default - shoot them and let somebody more intelligent ask questions later. 

Most players seem to have the same default setting....

Mechahawk test unit L: Is well aware that he has an evil counterpart running around somewhere. But since R has a very different paint job normally and L is aware of time travel, he'll ask questions first and shoot later.

Lupe: Immediately guesses time travel, unless she smells something off about the duplicate.

*facepalm* forgot to include Hero Shrew.

Hero Shrew: ...Well, I hope you're not some alternate or time travelling version of me, because I'm about to punch your head in. 

(although if we're being honest, the team's underground base is probably going to be trashed in the ensuing fistfight even if it IS an alternate Scooter of time traveller)