Need a MacGuffin - help please

Echo3Niner

I did develop a plot I was going to write up for Xarriel, the CU's Thanos/Darkseid analogue, to use three specific official cosmic artifacts to essentially pull off MCU Thanos's final gambit, destroying the entire universe then recreating it in his image; although not nearly as simplistically as snapping his fingers. ;) There are reasons for Xarriel to seek those artifacts on Earth. It wouldn't be too improbable to substitute Istvatha for him.

How about a god or robot that needs to be reassembled?

For example, in Egyptian mythology, Set killed his brother Osiris and scattered the pieces of his body.

Isis went on a quest and retrieved the body parts and temporarily revived Osiris with a spell. Their son Horus was conceived and when he grew up eventually defeated his uncle Set.

Or maybe a giant Power Ranger's style Zord which needs all the heroes inside to power it. And maybe a few follow-up sessions with at least some of the players being partially depowered because their powers were "used up" in the Zord. (The depowering being negotiated with the players in advance with an eventual small experience bonus attached.)

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

I did develop a plot I was going to write up for Xarriel, the CU's Thanos/Darkseid analogue, to use three specific official cosmic artifacts to essentially pull off MCU Thanos's final gambit, destroying the entire universe then recreating it in his image; although not nearly as simplistically as snapping his fingers. ;) There are reasons for Xarriel to seek those artifacts on Earth. It wouldn't be too improbable to substitute Istvatha for him.

I did see another thread on this - very nice.

2 hours ago, archer said:

For example, in Egyptian mythology, Set killed his brother Osiris and scattered the pieces of his body.

Isis went on a quest and retrieved the body parts and temporarily revived Osiris with a spell. Their son Horus was conceived and when he grew up eventually defeated his uncle Set.

I do like the idea of Osiris...

I've read that Osiris in Egyptian religion was less an actively worshiped god, and more a symbol of the concept of rebirth after death, which Egyptian society was obsessed with. So perhaps "Osiris" is a metaphor for something that was separated and broken apart. Something with the power of life and death?

5 hours ago, archer said:

Or maybe a giant Power Ranger's style Zord which needs all the heroes inside to power it. And maybe a few follow-up sessions with at least some of the players being partially depowered because their powers were "used up" in the Zord. (The depowering being negotiated with the players in advance with an eventual small experience bonus attached.)

How about the idea that the dismemberment and scattering of a being so ancient and powerful that every sentient race in the cosmos has a racial memory imprinted in their consciousness and a resulting story/myth in their history?

6 hours ago, Tjack said:

How about the idea that the dismemberment and scattering of a being so ancient and powerful that every sentient race in the cosmos has a racial memory imprinted in their consciousness and a resulting story/myth in their history?

What if the being once brought together is much worse than who he is supposed to fight? Fight villain with villain (which makes enough sense as Fight Water With Fire...it is doable but strange).