Comics, Nostalgia, and a Podcast

I recently had a wonderful hit of nostalgia. By way of LinkedIn (where I have an account but almost never use) I found an old high school friend was going to be on a podcast called Comics on Comics. It seems the whole premise of the show is about performing comics talk about comic books. Great premise. 

My friend Doug was on an episode called Batman is Boring. Doug was my single theater friend that was also into comic books. We made trips together to multiple comic book stores once a week to fill out our collections. We discovered Justice League International together, and that's still my favorite series ever. He was the Blue Beetle to my Booster Gold :)  To hear him talking about it again was just wonderful. I sat there the entire time thinking, "Yes! I remember when we got those!" I moved away to college during the Breakdowns storyline. This was the saga that ended the JLI and it felt very fitting and sad that my friend was lost to me now, too. He mentioned the death of Ted Kord, and I remember thinking of Doug when that happened. I wanted so bad to talk with him at the time. Even though I found other comic book friends in college, none of them were quite into the JLI like Doug was. 

I haven't collected comics in quite a while, though I try to keep tabs on the industry. Listening to this podcast reminded me how and why I used to love comic books. He was also my Champions friend. We shared a love of supers in general. I'm so sorry we drifted apart. 

Anyway, I thought some others here would be interested in the podcast. If you've ever been curious about my background, listen to the episode with Doug. To this day, the complete run of JLI during the Giffen/DeMatteis years is the pride of my collection. I follow J. M. DeMatteis and Kevin Maguire on Twitter. (Giffen, sadly, doesn't do the Twitter.) 

Blue and Gold forever! 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLSon0Ze3puNfPChTvvEQ