first mission

Mark Rand

Batman, Batgirl, and their associates have gathered in the Batcave.

Harold Allnut, Batman's engineer, says, "We have gear for you."  He points to utility belts, each with a Mini-Bat Computer (Absolute Range Sense, Absolute Time Sense, Eidetic Memory, Lightning Calculator, Speed Reading, Mind Scan/Mind Control 6d6 [Machines], & link to the main Batcomputer), a Bat Communicator, a launching grappling hook, starlite nightvision gear, a penlight with red, white, and infrared LEDs, a magazine of 6 conventional gas masks, a magazine of 6 smoke bombs, and a magazine of 4 folding batarangs.

He continues, "While the communicator is designed to slip over an ear, we have wrist communicators, too.  The nightvision gear, which is available either as lenses for masks, or as goggles, need light to work."

Lady Heart sighed. "I'm ok with the communicator, night vision device, and even the mini-computer. But I don't need the grappling hook. I can fly. Among other things. Am I supposed to be the designated carrier of spare items?"

"I am what the media calls a metahuman. Othoe I seem to take after a typical Japanese magical girl show heroine than, say, um, Superman."

10 hours ago, steriaca said:

Lady Heart sighed. "I'm ok with the communicator, night vision device, and even the mini-computer. But I don't need the grappling hook. I can fly. Among other things. Am I supposed to be the designated carrier of spare items?"

"I am what the media calls a metahuman. Othoe I seem to take after a typical Japanese magical girl show heroine than, say, um, Superman."

"You can forgo the grappling hook," Batman says.  "However, you might need the other gear."

Batman turns to Batgirl.  "Any leads on that burglary you're looking into?"

"It's something Sara Matthews could've done," Batgirl replies.  "However, she tends the Gotham Harbor Lighthouse, which is on an island one half mile east of Gotham City, and there was a small craft advisory from 6 PM last night to 6AM."

"That lets her off the hook," Batman says.  "Her only watercraft is a 17-foot Boston Whaler.  Besides, Detective Renee Montoya was visiting her last night.  Keep at it.  Any other news?"

"Report of something called a sea bat on Gotham University Oceanic Institute's research ship, the RV Laurel Blair Clark," Batgirl replies.

"Very expensive jewelry was taken from the Vanlandingham mansion here is Bristol Township's Crest Hills neighborhood," Batgirl says.  "It looks too sloppy to be Catwoman's work.  No finess to it at all."

"She helped Catwoman solve a burglary that everyone thought was hers," Batman says.  "It was Rolland Daggett's handiwork.  He and his gang are in jail."

1 hour ago, Mark Rand said:

"Very expensive jewelry was taken from the Vanlandingham mansion here is Bristol Township's Crest Hills neighborhood," Batgirl says.  "It looks too sloppy to be Catwoman's work.  No finess to it at all."

"She helped Catwoman solve a burglary that everyone thought was hers," Batman says.  "It was Rolland Daggett's handiwork.  He and his gang are in jail."

"Any chance of Daggett having relatives? Or friends? Remember that this is his 'job'. Daggett probably does crime in order to provide for himself and his family, with prison being an 'occupation hazard'."

"On the other hand, any notable enemies? Well, beyond Johnny Law. Anyone wanting to send a message to Daggett?"

"Roland Daggett was a corrupt business executive whose corporations are either on the block or have been sold," Batgirl says.  "He probably gypped a lot of people with his underhanded ways.  He's also responsible for turning actor Matt Hagen into Clayface and forcing Hagen to work for him."

"Wayne Enterprises, which I own, has bought a number of Daggett's companies," Batman adds.

13 minutes ago, Mark Rand said:

"Roland Daggett was a corrupt business executive whose corporations are either on the block or have been sold," Batgirl says.  "He probably gypped a lot of people with his underhanded ways.  He's also responsible for turning actor Matt Hagen into Clayface and forcing Hagen to work for him."

"Wayne Enterprises, which I own, has bought a number of Daggett's companies," Batman adds.

"Then I guess Mr. Wayne would be a subject, if we didn't know he is you instead of your financier of your campaign, which is what the world can guess about. Is there anything special about what was stolen? Waa it covered in diamonds, which would point twords Mr. Freeze being a potential buyer on the black market for it? A special shape? If it was vaguely skull shaped, that would point twords either Scarecrow or Lord Death Man. Birds or fish? Something hispanic? Prehaps it was just extra shiny, that would be enough for Magpie."

"Nothing special," Batgirl replies, "just expensive stuff.  However, the Vanlandinghams are friends of Sara's parents, who own an estate in the same neighborhood.  After Sara's arraignment, her mother asked, "What will my friends say?'  Sara replied that she considered them to be pigeons ready for the plucking."  She then added, "I'm planning to take the Batboat and visit Sara.  She might be able to give me some leads." 

The young man leaning against the wall finally spoke as he stepped forward into the light.  He took his hands out of the pockets of his jacket. The strange emblem over its heart matched the one on the chest of his dark red costume.
“Well sir, it looks like we’ve got our work cut out for us.” he said in a slight Western drawl. He began to load his equipment from the table into his own pocketed belt and slipped the grappling gun in the holster like pocket on his hip.

“Exactly where do you want us stationed, Miss?” pointing at the map.

“How are ‘ya doing miss.”  “I guess you can call me Paladin, I’m a little new at all this and I’m just a guy trying to help.” “I’m pretty strong and fast, I can fly and throw energy bolts but the thing I think that will be most useful tonight is that I can turn invisible.”

"Batgirl's going to visit Sara once Harold finishes prepping the Batboat," Batman says.  "It seats two."

"The lighthouse is on a 50-foot tall rock," Batgirl says.  "We'll dock at the bottom and walk up the stairs.  Who wants to come with me?"

"I'll have a look at this sea bat, then patrol the Crest Hill and Brentwood neighborhoods.  They're the two wealthiest neighborhoods in the Gotham City area."

Harold comes up from the lower level and says, "Batboat's ready."

29 minutes ago, steriaca said:

Lady Heart follows Batgirl to the Batboat. "So, who is the oddest superhero you ever worked with?"

(In case you want to know, I just bought Season One of Doom Patrol.)

"A couple of mermaids helped me with a water rescue," Batgirl says as she powers up the Batboat and flips on the marine band and weather radios.  "Ready?"