Best Soundtrack for your FH sessions?

TheTemplar

Music goes a long way in setting the mood for fantasy games.

Here is a list of some of my favorites.

Last of the Mohicans

Conan

X-MEN (dark)

13th Warrior

Gladiator

Bram Stoker's Dracula (dark)

Sleepy Hollow (dark)

Dark means that the music is particularly suited for a gothic/horror themed adventure. Excellent stuff for the party's exploration of a haunted castle, etc.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but I recommend and use all of the above titles.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some suggestions that I've not yet seen amongst all the really great ones:

- Stavisnsky (particularly "Firebird Suite")

- Some of the "gradiose" themes from 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

- The music track from the old PC Game "Fantasy General" - the best game music I've ever heard.

- Glass Hammer (some of it, anyhow)

- Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" - parts of it.

- Tangerine Dream

- Wishbone Ash

- Loreena McKennant

Originally posted by TheTemplar

Seems like Rimsky-Korsakov had another piece that would lend itself nicely to gaming...can't for the life of me think of the name of it though (And I've got a music degree, for crying out loud!!) It's a very regal processional type piece...the theme behind it was that the listener was progressing through a Great Hall, or perhaps a museum. Please....somebody throw me a bone on that piece before I bash my head into my desk trying to remember what it was called! Thanks!!

Oh..and incase I forgot to mention it...gaming to Wagner is top-notch, too.

I wonder if you are thinking about Mussorski's Pictures at an exhibition? It is often put together with Rimsky Korsikov music in collections.

Carmina Burana by Orff is good (used in Excalibur), Wagner's Ring (ride of the valkarie etc) has several good bits (several also used in Excalibur). Gloria by Vivaldi (particularly if you can get the version done for the movie Runaway train). Joe Satriani's surfing with the Alien has several good songs (particularly the second side, I've always thought Hill of the skull would be good for a last stand Boromir vs the orcs kind of scene). The sound track from Backdraft also has some useful stuff.

Ahhh....MUCH thanks, Toadmaster. I stand corrected. That piece IS by Mussorski. I KNEW it had to be one of the Big 5 in Russian Composers. Yes...Pictures At an Exhibition. I believe it's either the first or second movement...Standing at the Great Gate, or something along those lines. It's a wonderfully regal processional for giving the feel of a Royal Castle or something along those lines.

(Not to throw this discussion on a tangent..but I dig the avatar, Toad. I keep my fingers crossed for a sequel to that game someday.....someday...)

Originally posted by TheTemplar

Ahhh....MUCH thanks, Toadmaster. I stand corrected. That piece IS by Mussorski. I KNEW it had to be one of the Big 5 in Russian Composers. Yes...Pictures At an Exhibition. I believe it's either the first or second movement...Standing at the Great Gate, or something along those lines. It's a wonderfully regal processional for giving the feel of a Royal Castle or something along those lines.

(Not to throw this discussion on a tangent..but I dig the avatar, Toad. I keep my fingers crossed for a sequel to that game someday.....someday...)

Glad I could help, I think its The great gate of Kiev or something like that. That is an advantage to having a Dad who really likes classical music, I got a good informal education on the subject. Throw in a younger wife who grew up in a rural area (country and rap :confused: ) and my growing up with 80's rock and I've got quite a weird CD collection. Someday I'm going to have to burn a CD combining a little bit of everything just to annoy the neighbors, perhaps as a celebration for the release of Starcraft 2 "I am about to distribute some indescriminate Justice!!!" :D

When I was playing D&D waaay back when, the guy running the game had us trained to start either screaming or whimpering every time he hit 'play' on the Terminator soundtrack. We knew something nasty was about to happen. To this day, hearing it gives me images of thieves getting hacked to pieces by relentless hordes of kobolds or some such nonsense.

My FH campaign gets kind of dark and gritty.

-We use the Soundtrack for Stoker's Dracula quite a bit.

-We use O Fortuna almost every climactic combat.

-For a lighter mood, the Score from Princess Bride.

-I tried LOTR Soundtrack but found it to be a little too specialized. I use a couple of the more powerful tracks.

-I avoid Danny Elfman like the plague. Everything he writes sounds exactly alike to me. I don't want my players thinking they're Batman.

-If you can make the mental seperation, the Star Wars score has real potential. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

Now the stuff you didn't expect:

-The score from Crimson Tide (Players' favorite)

-If you think you're up for it, try Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I know what you're thinking, and true, it looks incongruous before you try it. But it lends a great fantasy feel, and creates the perfect role-playing mindset, and other-worldly atmosphere (without the need of psychoactive substances).

Originally posted by Plastick Hero

-I avoid Danny Elfman like the plague. Everything he writes sounds exactly alike to me. I don't want my players thinking they're Batman.

I agree completely. *Everything* he does sounds like his original Batman score.

• 10 months later...

Re: Best Soundtrack for your FH sessions?

Heroes!

I can suggest 2 CDs.

1. soundtracks for Myst and Riven by Robin Miller

2. Cathedral Oceans vol. 1 + 2 by John Foxx

They are background music with no melody, but they help create a mysterious fantasy atmosphere. BUT Sunset Rising on Cathedral Oceans is really moving if you listen to it loudly. Cathedral Oceans was made to be background music for a cathedral. If you buy it, be sure to get 1+2, because originally only volume 1 was released.

This site has some sound samples if you want to listen.

Myst

Cathedral Oceans 1+2

Say, can anyone recommend some CDs of authentic European medieval music? Not medieval music fused with modern music, and not Celtic folk music.

Cheers!

I have lots of Medieval and Renaissance music CDs, as well as classical music. Unfortunately, my friends don't care much for period music, so I use sound scores from Conan, Gladiator, and Return of the Jedi. I also use the Big O score and some oldies when I run my noir campaign.

I agree that Myst has a great soundtrack. I also recommend Arcanum and Heroes of Might and Magic IV as good soundtracks.

Soundtracks I've used often:

The Planets (I used this a lot when I was in the Navy)

Clannadde

XenoGears

FFVIII (EXCELLENT!)

Heroic Legend of Arslan

Excalibur

Various classical collections.

I haven't used the LotR soundtrack yet, but I probably will next time I run fantasy. It is quite excellent.

My all time favorite fantasy sountracks to use are:

Record of the Lodoss War. This sountrack is fantastic! I suggest tracking it down, its well worth the effort

Vision of Escaflowne. Beyond excellent! This soundtrack is so good I found myself using this more often than anything else in recent years.

#1 all time favorite: Conan the Barbarian (and Destroyer too). Simply classic. There is no better battle music than The Anvil of Crom.

I use a number of the scores listed here, including, but not limited to: Last of the Mohicans, Conan, and LotR.

Additionally I have: The Omen (part 3), the Patriot, Silence of the Lambs, Aliens (though I need to go get a new copy...), and a few others.

Speedball mentioned a Pavlovian-like response to the Terminator soundtrack. I have trained my players to a similar response with Pink Floyd's Dogs of War from their album A Momentary Lapse of Reason. They hear that and they know that the Black Company is marching. 20 giants who are mercenaries and hardened veterans, riding chariots pulled by teams of gigantic bears. What's to worry about? :fear:

EDIT: The funny thing is this, my players have not even been threatened by these guys. They just figure I threw these dangerous guys into the world to beat them down eventually. Hehe, paranoids.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to buy some new CDs today. :)

-Dave

I found some nice Medieval stuff for download at very reasonable prices on http://www.magnatune.com/' date=' so for those of you who [b']do[/b] get to use that for their groups...

As for soundtracks, Gladiator is very good, and so is Troy.

Thanks for the link Korvar. I'll rep you once I'm able to do so.

The Arjuna soundtracks by Yoko Kano

1492 score by Vangelis

anything by Rasa Devotion

Voices of Light by Eric Rhienhorn

Mary Shelley's Frankenstien soundtrack by Patrick Doyle

Aria 2 by Paul Schwartz (arias sung over techno)

the Dot.Hack soundtracks (mix of techno and fantasyesque)

Jubilee collection, Music of the Crusades (best mixed in with more orchestral stuff.. IMHO)

Nostradamus soundtrack by Barrington Pheloung

Escaflowne soundtrack by Yoko Kano

hell.. anything by Yoko Kano.

Passion by Peter gabriel

The Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles soundtracks are good for a more honest, playfull, and innocent sound.

As mentioned above I went to buy some music.

I looked for, but could not find O Foruna or Record of the Lodoss War. I'll just have to do an internet search and buy them online, I guess.

I did get:

Pirates of the Carribean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - It's good but has such a nautical sound to most of it's music that it's sorta campaign specific. I know this 'nautical sound' is just a cultural bias, so YMMV. I knew this was the case but bought it anyway because I have some nautical stuff in a lot of the fantasy games I run. Composed by Klaus Badelt and 'Overproduced' (thier word, not mine) by Hans Zimmer.

The 13th Warrior - Pretty good but with a number of the pieces being so neutral that it's more of a background setter, so far. It has some good action/combat music too. I'll give it a deeper listen over the coming weeks. Composed by Jerry Goldsmith.

King Arthur - A really great soundtrack for all things heroic and martial. Very inspirational for me because I'm a sucker for that sound. I used it for a couple fight scenes in last nights game and my players liked it too. Composed by Hans Zimmer.

Rocketeer - I had this in the past but needed to re-buy it. It's got some powerful stuff in there that could be overused so easily... in fact a lot of movie companies do just that. The main theme on this disc has been used for the music in MANY previews over the years when a movies own score is not yet ready. About half of the tracks are useable for Fantasy or super-heroic adventure. It's all very upbeat. There's very little darkness here, even for the bad guys in the film. Composed by James Horner.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... $75 well spent. Ouch. :straight:

Maybe I should just start downloading music.... nah.

-Dave

I have lots of Medieval and Renaissance music CDs, as well as classical music. Unfortunately, my friends don't care much for period music, so I use sound scores from Conan, Gladiator, and Return of the Jedi. I also use the Big O score and some oldies when I run my noir campaign.

I agree that Myst has a great soundtrack. I also recommend Arcanum and Heroes of Might and Magic IV as good soundtracks.

Cheers. Can you tell some names of the Medieval CDs you have?

I found some nice Medieval stuff for download at very reasonable prices on http://www.magnatune.com/' date=' so for those of you who [b']do[/b] get to use that for their groups...

As for soundtracks, Gladiator is very good, and so is Troy.

Thank you. It's a helpful site.

Medieval and Renaissance (up to the 17th century) Music I have:

Music for a Medieval Banquet, by the Newberry Consort

From Spain to Spain, by Vox

Richard Coeur de Lion, by Alla Francesca

Crossroads of the Celts, by Altramar

Joan of Arc: Music of the 15th Century, by the Amadis Ensemble

Music of the Crusades, by The Early Music Consort of London

Stadtpfeiffer: Music of Renaissance Germany, bu Piffaro

Folias Festival, by the Belladonna Baroque Quartet

Monteverdi: Madrigali guerrieri et amorosi, by The Consort of Musicke

Gregorian Chant: Sequences, by capella antiqua Muenchen

Gregorian Chorale, by various choirs (Esxcelsior)

A Concert of Early Music, by the Musica Reservata of London

The Art of the Bawdy Song, by The Baltimore Consort and The Merry Companions

Elizabeth's Music, by the Toronto Consort (Dorian Recordings)