What's the most useless supplement you'd actually like to see?

BobGreenwade

Re: What's the most useless supplement you'd actually like to see?

The Big Book of Comeliness --an exhaustive look at the least expensive, least used stat in the Hero system, discussing benchmarks, how to use it, optional COM-based skills, and a couple representative writeups, maybe even some "comeliness" tricks. Should be a solid 32 page supplement.

;)

I just decided to allow COM as the basis for many appropriate skills if so desired, with the understanding that of course there's a basic limit as the target must appreciate the COM of the one using the skill. No one's biting yet, but at least I feel better about COM being on the sheet!

And that's a great useless supplement idea, in any event.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or a similar thread - after all, I don't think as a sticky anyone wants to see "most useless supplement"! :)

Topic drift is inevitable, but it's too bad this one didn't stay more on the "most useless" examples, some of those are pretty weird and interesting.

Maybe it could be renamed Wish List?

Yes and no. My whole original thought was for a supplement that probably wouldn't sell really well or apply to a lot of people's campaigns' date=' but that some of us would actually buy, use, and appreciate. In such sharing, we might just find that some of our ideas aren't so "useless" after all -- I've little doubt Steve peeks in every so often (if only for a few laughs) and he might get an idea or three from our ramblings. :)[/quote']

I must admit I was a bit uncertain about this thread initially, but after I had read it I must admit that it's one of the most entertaining ones if seen this far. Several of the books sound interesting enough to buy.

It would be cool if Steve could spare some "slots" in the future schedule for books on this list.

The Big Book of Comeliness --an exhaustive look at the least expensive, least used stat in the Hero system, discussing benchmarks, how to use it, optional COM-based skills, and a couple representative writeups, maybe even some "comeliness" tricks. Should be a solid 32 page supplement.

;)

Nasty typo...I'm sure that should say "320", right? :confused:

I'd like to see a "Supers and You" guide, with info on how the normal citizens are affected by a world full of supers.

The Duck and Cover info for super battles when they come to your neighborhood.

Super tech devices avalible at Best Buy.

What to do if you find out your son or daughter is a closet sidekick.

That kind of stuff.

Such a book could include information about the backside of supers, like normal people trying to act like the supers, fan clubs, and groupies.

It also could include fanatic groups (both pro supers and against supers), and avengers (relatives to people who have been injured due to super battles).

;)

If I were to write such a book I would probably make it a book with more pages and renaming it to something like Ultimate Grace (I couldn’t come up with something better).

In that book I would have Comeliness as suggested above, but I would add social skills. It would have common package deals like “fashion slave†and “alluring but dangerousâ€. The book would go into greater detail on how to handle PRE, COM and Presence Attacks.

Maybe it could be renamed Wish List?

I must admit I was a bit uncertain about this thread initially, but after I had read it I must admit that it's one of the most entertaining ones if seen this far. Several of the books sound interesting enough to buy.

It would be cool if Steve could spare some "slots" in the future schedule for books on this list.

Steve's given the green light to posting amateur freebie PDFs on the site; perhaps interested individuals could pursue a few of these projects.

Steve's given the green light to posting amateur freebie PDFs on the site; perhaps interested individuals could pursue a few of these projects.

That would be interesting. Exactly how would we do that? :confused:

My guess is accoring to the same procedure as the one used for DH.

That would be interesting. Exactly how would we do that? :confused:

My guess is accoring to the same procedure as the one used for DH.

There's some info in this thread, http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19098, that's where it came up. Apparently Steve doesn't require that freebie amateur publications follow the same guidelines as other publications, but I would suggest as much as possible following the regular HERO books guidelines as that will be immediately more embraced by fans.

There's some info in this thread' date=' http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19098, that's where it came up. Apparently Steve doesn't require that freebie amateur publications follow the same guidelines as other publications, but I would suggest as much as possible following the regular HERO books guidelines as that will be immediately more embraced by fans.[/quote']

I must admit that I was lazy enough to just skim trough the text, but if I understood the text correctly this is how it works:

• The person producing the text (for example, the source book) could be anyone, since there is no application form or approval via e-mail.
  • The only control of the text (by DOJ) is done by the web master, and it is more or less only a control to see if the material doesn’t offend someone (like racism) and if it has any form of relevance
  • If external resources (like characters from CU) are used, try not to duplicate the information more than necessary.
  • One way of avoiding duplication is by using the external information in the text, and only giving away the most relevant information (for example, Defender is a rich man who use a powered armor to help him fight crime). For those that don’t have the mentioned external source you could write down a temporary solution (either in the text or in an appendix).

If we follow the above mentioned guidelines, will DOJ format it so that it have the familiar two column layout? :confused:

If we follow the above mentioned guidelines, will DOJ format it so that it have the familiar two column layout?

No, we don't have the time. If it's not easily readable as it comes to us, we're that much less likely to post it on the Free Stuff page. (Though of course, being "easily readable" doesn't necessarily mean "looks like a published Hero book.")

in case it hasn't been mentioned there was an Ancient Egypt sourcebook for the Hero System (which I have and like) as well as an Ancient Greek (bronze age, not classical). They were for Hero/Rolemaster.

I would like to see a book of non-magical and non-tech "powers" for use by all types of genres. Things like trap building (AoE entangle on trigger), stretching as an aid to Dex, etc. There is some of this already scattered around like the extra dice damage you can buy to use with a gun, etc.

Would be cool to use for fantasy for non-magic characters, or pulp characters, etc.

I would like to see a book of non-magical and non-tech "powers" for use by all types of genres. Things like trap building (AoE entangle on trigger), stretching as an aid to Dex, etc. There is some of this already scattered around like the extra dice damage you can buy to use with a gun, etc.

Would be cool to use for fantasy for non-magic characters, or pulp characters, etc.

There will be a bunch of these in Dark Champions.

in case it hasn't been mentioned there was an Ancient Egypt sourcebook for the Hero System (which I have and like) as well as an Ancient Greek (bronze age' date=' not classical). They were for Hero/Rolemaster.[/quote']It always seemed to me Hero got short shrift from ICE in those supplements. I'd love to see them redone; I wonder if Aaron Allston has any ideas.

I would like to see a book of non-magical and non-tech "powers" for use by all types of genres. Things like trap building (AoE entangle on trigger)' date=' stretching as an aid to Dex, etc. There is some of this already scattered around like the extra dice damage you can buy to use with a gun, etc.[/quote']There'd be a lot of this kind of thing in The Hero System Guide To Everyday Stuff, I'd imagine.

[Edit - Attempted to add an updated list, but it kept screwing up the formatting. That's it! I'm getting a Mac!]

• 5 months later...

I think the list is actually so long, it's exceeding the board's ability to edit it. I'm getting a "Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded in /home/dans/www/herogame/forums/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 466" error every time I attempt an edit. I'd have PMed Ben earlier, but he wasn't on the boards. I'll ask him to delete the original #166.

[EDIT - Ben deleted the original #166. Now to repost the list, in parts, with decent formatting.]

I think the list is actually so long' date=' it's exceeding the board's ability to edit it. I'm getting a "[b']Fatal error[/b]: Maximum execution time of 15 seconds exceeded in /home/dans/www/herogame/forums/includes/functions_bbcodeparse.php on line 466" error every time I attempt an edit. I'd have PMed Ben earlier, but he wasn't on the boards.

And the names are just bylines, of the people who first suggested such a book. If they were actual authors, I'd be salivating at a couple of them since they'd be so much further toward reality.

I just noticed when I was quoting it with the idea of reformating that you had some breaks there but they aren't parsing.

I think a problem is you are using brackets, those screw things up easily because they have special meaning. Let me check something...

PS - yes, I edited my post but you saw it before that, when I realized what the names were, I had forgotten. Okay, if you change the "[*]"s to "(*)"s it seems to do better, adding line breaks. I tried a post with that and it worked, you may need to quote your own post and then edit it that way.

Yeah' date=' see, I can't even edit the post. When I try to edit it, it gives me the error. I'll just repost it in two parts down here and ask Ben to delete message 166.[/quote']

I think you can post it in one part once you get the formatting acceptable to the boards parser, I did but then deleted it because I didn't want to presume how you wanted it to look (I just did a copy/replace of the "[*]"s with "(*)"s.)

10' date='000 Ways To Be Cool[/b'] - a book with thousands upon thousands of one liners, ready to be delivered by your favourite character or villain. All perfectly indexed by situation and superpower.

"Let off some steam, Bennet." :)

This si actually a REALLY good idea!