What's the most useless supplement you'd actually like to see?

BobGreenwade

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by archer

Heh. That means I actually have to work on it. :)

Edit: Seriously, I'm getting to a point where very soon I'm probably not going to have a lot of spare time, so it's probably not in the cards.

Aw, fiddlesticks. :(

Well, Steve's probably following this thread, so at least he'll be able to get the idea in his head and consider whether he thinks it's a project worth doing. :)

The Big Book of Disads. Not just the physical, social, and psychological ones from the web site, but a full discussion of distinctive features; hundreds of pre-generated DNPC's (at least 100 at each level); list of substances a character may be dependent on, suceptable to, and special effect list for vulnerabilities. Circunstances where the character might accidently change or go berserk. All set up to allow random selection if a GM wants to flesh out a one-shot character in a hurry.

Originally posted by McCoy

The Big Book of Disads. Not just the physical, social, and psychological ones from the web site, but a full discussion of distinctive features; hundreds of pre-generated DNPC's (at least 100 at each level); list of substances a character may be dependent on, suceptable to, and special effect list for vulnerabilities. Circunstances where the character might accidently change or go berserk. All set up to allow random selection if a GM wants to flesh out a one-shot character in a hurry.

I posted a thread a while back about this. I'm still holding out hope it may not be so unlikely as some things listed in this thread.

Originally posted by RavensPath

I stumbled across the UNTIL database because someone posted it and have yet to find it on the site.

Click on "Champions" on the "Genre Pages" sidebar (right side of the main page). Then click on the "Online USPD" balloon.

Just in case you lose your bookmark.

(Many sites put plain text links near the bottom of each page, because sometimes picture links aren't obvious.)

This thread has been somewhat more successful than I expected! :D We've even seen some ideas that (in my opinion at least) might actually fly.

So here are a couple of my runners-up; let's see if anyone holds high opinion of them.

The Galactic Bestiary: A tome of creatures from across the galaxy, from Denebian slime worms to even more Xenovore critters.

The Ultimate Sidekick: A full-length treatise expanding the Follower rules (also touching on Summon, Duplication, and other ways of representing secondary characters) for instances ranging from the classic Silver Age "teen sidekick" to a wizard's zombie horde, along with advice on running them in combat and in stories, and several sample "sidekicks" from several genres.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

The Galactic Bestiary: A tome of creatures from across the galaxy, from Denebian slime worms to even more Xenovore critters.

This would be great especially if it had "alternate" versions of classic SciFi creatures (Like Gort the robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still"and those nasty little cute things from "Galaxy Quest") and maybe some alien racial packages to round it out.

The Ultimate Sidekick: A full-length treatise expanding the Follower rules (also touching on Summon, Duplication, and other ways of representing secondary characters) for instances ranging from the classic Silver Age "teen sidekick" to a wizard's zombie horde, along with advice on running them in combat and in stories, and several sample "sidekicks" from several genres.

This could be cool also but it's going to be potentially very hit or miss since Followers, Summon, Duplication etc. are I think some of the most debated "powers" in the book (with the possible exception of Transformation).

Originally posted by farik

This would be great especially if it had "alternate" versions of classic SciFi creatures (Like Gort the robot from "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and those nasty little cute things from "Galaxy Quest") and maybe some alien racial packages to round it out.

Pastiches of several popular movie and TV alien animals would certainly be in line. I think Gort, as a robot, would belong better in Spacer's Toolkit 2 and we'll probably see plenty of alien racial packages in Worlds of Empire, but the Galaxy Quest critters, targs (that's what I think[ the Klingon beasties from Star Trek are called), and many others would be needed, along with explorations of some of the more unusual biospheres in the Terran Empire (particularly Mon'dabi, Donburil, Xenovore, Sholarron, and Korundar creatures, just to give the ones that come right to mind).
This could be cool also but it's going to be potentially very hit or miss since Followers, Summon, Duplication etc. are I think some of the most debated "powers" in the book (with the possible exception of Transformation).
Such a book might be good, then, since it could potentially settle such debates. :D

Okay. Next on my list is Robot Warriors for 5e. Not Giant Robot Hero, but an actual book containing the full robot construction rules from RW updated for fifth edition. I'd likely be the only person to buy that book. :)

I've been contemplating the possibility of an article showing how to convert old Robot Warriors mecha to 5th Ed (via TUV). :)

I've been contemplating the possibility of an article showing how to convert old Robot Warriors mecha to 5th Ed (via TUV). :)

I really really liked the robot construction from RW and would love to see it ported intact to 5e. I can do mecha in 5e myself. :)

I've actually done some of what I'm looking for at http://home.comcast.net/~archer7/rw2hero.html but I'd rather have one book with all of the info, nice and cleanly edited. I'm almost certain it's never gonna happen, and like I said I'm probably the only one who wants it. :)

Re: So many possibilties

Originally posted by topcapfan

Well, I guess they are not useless, if I would use them. . .

These aren't really funny, just obscure topics that no one else would be interested in.

Underwater Hero - Um, pretty much self-explanatory. Y'know for Aquaman-type characters.

The Ultimate Ancient Egypt - An under-utilized but great era for role-playing.

Serial Movie Hero - Y'know, the old Dick Tracy and Rocketeer type serials from the 30's and 40's. A great genre to play in, a bit like pulp but not exactly.

Baseball Hero - Role play baseball games with players generated on Hero-level rules.

Just my little contribution to the list.

I would unquestionably buy all these books, especially Baseball Hero (genius idea) :)

The Ultimate Dimension. This would not be Champions In 3-D; the latter was a book of alternate worlds. TUD would be a book of how to create other dimensions, how to run games where the whole point is interdimensional adventures (Time Police/Dimensional Police, etc.), how to run genre games interdimensionally (interdimensional fantasy, interdimensional superheroes, etc.) and basically everything C3D wasn't.

Tech-Magic Hero. This could probably use a better name, but it would be a worldbook for games taking place in modern day worlds with publically known magic (a la Poul Anderson's Operation Chaos, Heinlein's Magic, Inc. or Harry Turtledove's Case of the Toxic Spell Dump). It might have a short blurb or two on secret magic worlds, but those are done to death already (Witchcraft and Mage being two).

I'd buy 'em both.  Cool TUD idea!!

Originally posted by zornwil

I'd seriously like to see a complete explication of the HERO system, a detailed treatise on the underlying philosophy and its expression via the text of 5th edition.

me too :)

Originally posted by McCoy

I'd buy this one in a second!

Originally posted by RavensPath

There is a list of disadvantages on this site? Please tell me where. I stumbled across the UNTIL database because someone posted it and have yet to find it on the site. Lucky I bookmarked it!

Thanks

Matthew

If no one else has posted it yet (I haven't read the whole thread yet, myself) here's Surbrook's List

A WWII era vehicle book seems a must, especially for pulp (Indiana Jones style) adventures - much less more 'period' serious gaming.

This one actually may be silly, but I would really like to see an equivalent of Green Ronin's Ultramodern Firearms for FREd, getting into the detailed minutia of the various (present day) real firearms.

I'd love to see a series of HERO books on different periods/places, as others suggested such as Ancient Egypt, I'd also include things like "Dark Ages Europe" and such. I think it'd be cool if they were small books with enough for some accuracy/general knowledge but provided a series of other books you could reference for greater detail. I'm thinking like 64 pages or such, perhaps even less. Could be great e-books at like $5 a whack, contributors could easily come from these boards. If I dug out my "late old West" (c. 1880) notes and wrote them up it'd qualify (when I think of how much of that stuff I've COMPLETELY forgotten it bugs me).

Unfortunately, the Hero Plus line is being discontinued. And I don't think 64-page books would be economically feasable for DOJ, at least at this point.

However, some historical books could be possible (IMO) as full-fledged setting books, or even as genre books (your Wild West information, for instance, probably will be a part of Western Hero -- there was some good information in the original, and with Steve's standards there would probably be quite a bit more).

Though not on the calendar, there are many good historical spots in the Hero Universe document that I'd wager would be good setting books for 150 pages or so, and a few that were missed (such as ancient Egypt or ancient China).

Got some more.

The Ultimate line of fantasy archetypes, one book for each (warrior, wizard, priest, rogue). Includes not just a bunch of Package Deals for each, but stuff on their organizations, notes on running a party full of them, running equivalents in other genres, and so forth.

Dark Champions: the Real World. Characters are all 75 + 75, no Powers other than gadgets that exist in the real world, no Talents, no weirdness. Skills only. Mundane equipment is free. These are people in the real world who put on masks and pretend to be superheroes fighting crime. It can go anywhere from goofy ("Angle Grinder Man" and the woman in New York who befriends women who have too much to drink) to dark and grim (psychotic nutbars who put on masks and drive vans full of guns).