Running Viper’s Nest

Ninja-Bear

Hello All,

Hopefully in the near future I’ll he running a scenario for some friends and their kids. My friends have some experience. Its been a long time and we’re going to play 4th cause that is what they are most familiar with. I have both Viper Nest in pamphlet form (which I think is 1st ed) and also 3rd which is in the 3rd ed rules book. If any one has used it is there anything I should watch out for? Right now I’m looking at Viper Blasters themselves. 1st ed they’re only 5D6 EB AF, 3rd they’re 2D6 RKA AF and 4th 8D6 EB AF. The other stats are basically the same.  I want Viper to be a minor threat. Oh and I’m GMing this blind as my buggy wants them to have their own characters which is fine but I don’t know their Defenses at all.

2 hours ago, Tech said:

Since you're looking at making Viper a minor threat, I would go with 5 or 6d6 EB. Also, don't give the blasters Autofire. Of course, this depends on the average defense of the characters that will be played.

6D6 is where I’m leaning to. Like I said, I’m going in blind with average DEFs so I might build them with an Overload option- +2D6 with limitation must use extra charges. Basically Boost-able but custom since this is 4th.

13 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Are you expecting PCs to use a lot of killing attacks against her?

Again, coming in blind on that. However, to me a Hallmark of Power Armor is to have some Resistant Defenses. I’ve worked her so she has the same PD/ED overall. She actually has 8 PD/ED out of suit and 5 PD/ED Armor. I also gave her a END Reserve too.

Ninja-bear:  if you don't have it, pick up the campaign book for Champions 3e: more than just VIPER's Nest: there are a couple of scenarios leading up to it as well.  If I can find it in my collection, I can also point you to the magazine in which Microfilm Madness was finally published- it was cut from the campaign book (I think because if a page count vs printing cost decision, but I cant say for certain).

Now, I _am_ getting old, and I have a serious (Diet) Coke habit, and,I can confirm the rumors that long-term addiction affects the memory,  but I believe I recall Taylor discussing revamping the 3e campaign book to 6e, complete with Microfilm Madness reinserted.

I dont know if it came to pass, or if it was just a (Diet) coke-fueled dream...

I recomend it highly _if_ you are running the entire campaign book, as it helps the extended story feel more complete, and because it is another opportunity for the heroes to figure out just what is going on.

Even if you are just doing VIPER's Nest, this scene helps provide some context and framing.

If I recall, Steve Jackson Games offers the PDF relatively inexpensively (I know he did; I have picked up a couple over the years, but it has been _while_, as I prefer print).