College Football 2023-2024

Pariah

Ohio State may not have a QB they trust;  UCLA looks to have a full-blown QB controversy.

Starting QB Ethan Garbers is 10/17, 1 TD, 2 picks.  5 possessions...1 TD, 2 punts, 2 picks.

HIGHLY touted true freshman Dante Moore's been in for 2 series...4/5, 115 yards, and 2 TDs, including laying one on a line, 30-odd yards into a streaking receiver's hands for an easy 6, finally giving UCLA a working margin at 21-13.  He's also getting another one after UCLA forces a TO...and this time UCLA's pretty much gashing them in the run game.

Northwestern lost to Rutgers 24-7.

Rutgers.

Now we see just how serious a state of disarray this program is in at the moment.

I checked NW's schedule, and their non-conference schedule includes UTEP, Duke, and Howard. Plus they have a game against Nebraska, who lost to Minnesota over the weekend.

I'd say Northwestern is looking at 2-10 at best this year. 

But that was  pretty much inevitable, given what happened, and how late it happened.

Brian Kelly may have built up some goodwill from last year, but that second half BEATDOWN last night started doing a number on it.

The Deion hype...particularly in Boulder...is likely to fire afterburners Saturday.  Burning nitro fuel.  It's the Fox Big Noon game, in Folsom.  Sold out.  ESPN is saying tickets are going for over $350 on the secondary market.  Line before Saturday...Nebraska -9.5.  Now...Colorado 2.5.  For the old timers?  This is a vengeance game, of sorts.  Nebraska *tortured* Colorado forever back in the Big 8 days.  It wasn't a rivalry because it takes two...but Colorado did target Nebraska as the team they needed to beat. 

That was before Nebraska cratered under Scott Frost...and before they were totally punchless in their season opener. 

Colorado did manage to beat Nebraska handful of times in the late 80s and early 90s, but yeah, for the most part Nebraska ran that rivalry. A lot of folks in Boulder will still point to the Cornhuskers as the school's biggest rival, even though they haven't been in the same conference for a generation.

At this point, Nebraska has not looked impressive ... well, for a long time. I can see Colorado winning that game at home. And then they get Colorado State, who looks to have regressed from any progress they might have made last year. So I see Colorado sitting comfortably at 3-0 and possibly in the top 15 before conference play starts.

Then they get Oregon and USC back-to-back, and reality ensues.

Edited by Pariah

Colorado vs. USC?

I don't care what the point total is.

Take the over.

I grant, Colorado is likely to win the next 2.  I don't *think* that'll get them into the top 15, but....who knows.  The hype will play a factor.  If they can smack Nebraska...and score against a better defense than TCU...it's possible.  CSU...won't move the needle per se, but of course, there's always upsets, and the Buffs might move up as the other team slips.  SI actually predicts the Buffs will be at 21 when the rankings come out tomorrow or Wednesday.  We shall see, soon enough.

I'm watching Clemson versus Duke at the moment, and I had a crazy thought come to mind. Clemson and Florida State are looking for a way out of the ACC (to join the $€¢, one presumes). Could the schools claim that the recent additions of cal, stanford, and Southern Methodist will add travel expenses for their Olympic sports that exceed the expected financial benefits from football, and sue to be released from the conference on that basis?

Like I said, a crazy thought. But I'll bet they could find a judge down there somewhere who would sign off on it.

Clemson's in many fewer sports, especially men's...only 8.

But no, I don't think that claim would constitute a basis for being released, even if they could prove it would be true.  Which they can't until at least a full year's worth of travel issues goes through.  Even then, some of the cost will be schedule-dependent.  Who knows how they'll resolve the massive issues there?

SMU isn't bad.  It's just a bit north of Dallas.  It's only 900 miles by I-20.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1dZLDy1TjPosJF4U9KjJUbnYKfPxxM-0C&hl=en_US&ll=35.9623961984051%2C-89.82137771249998&z=5

That's no worse than travel to Notre Dame, BC, or Syracuse.  OTOH, to be sure...Clemson to the Bay Area is about 2300 miles by air.

And consider the flip side...the problems for Stanford and Cal.  THEY have that distance, or more, EVERY trip other than to each other.  The same problem exists for the Big 10 and Big 12.  The SEC is the only Power conference that's still reasonably geographically compact.  And yes, it's why I simply don't believe the current setup is sustainable.  

I swear.

Every year there's calls I don't get, rulings that make little sense.

Just now, Clemson-Duke.  Clemon QB goes into a slide on a 4th down run.  He's clearly given himself up, no issue there.  Duke defender comes in high and late, and against a protected player...pow.  Personal foul with targeting...sure.

But it's ruled AFTER the play's dead...with the slide NOT starting before the first down, it's Duke's ball.  The QB's slide hadn't even stopped, tho.

The play should NOT be considered over when it's a freaking personal foul still within the continuing action of the play...like a late hit 2 steps out of bounds.  Heck yeah, PENALIZE personal fouls.

TCU, Baylor, LSU.....and now Clemson.

These are your nominees for Chump of the Week.  Pick whomever you like.  There are no winners here.

Duke 28-7 with 3 minutes to go.  

EDIT:  ESPN's rankings out.  Colorado #21;  Clemson drops to #25, LSU to #17.  TCU falls out for now, but IIRC they were only #17, and early season rankings are notoriously volatile.  FSU climbs to #2.

EDIT 2:  AP rankings are out.  LSU #14, Duke #21, Colorado #22, Clemson #25.

Coaches poll:  Duke 24, Colorado 25;  LSU 14, Clemson 21.  So, a bit less over-reaction.

The most interesting part of the story to me is the arrogance of the NCAA.  I can't say surprising, because, well, there's no reason to believe their arrogance was LESS, in those years, than it was before they got their heads handed to them AGAIN on NIL.

Before the Supreme Court hearing, Coats added, the plaintiffs tried to make a deal with the NCAA and “they just wouldn’t talk about it. They had never lost. And I guess they thought they never could lose.”

Coats and Neinas joke with each other over which one of them came up with the line they’ve used countless times – that NCAA stands for Never Compromise Anything Anytime.

That said, it's hardly surprising.  There is no justification for what the NCAA was doin, not even the marginal justification for the "amateurism" of the players, and refusing to pay them directly.

Huh.  The timing...1984.  Cable was around, but hardly utilized.  Wikipedia article puts cable access at 8% in '78...but 53% in '88.  It makes me wonder how much opening up the college football market had to do with it.  It's not the only factor...TBS went national, and was really the first BIG station.  The Braves' national popularity exploded in this period.  WGN was similar...probably helped the Bulls more than the Cubs, as the Cubs played all day games for quite a while.  And HBO and ESPN.  So there's multiple draws, creating the positive feedback loop that grew almost out of control until very recently.

I think there's also a lesson.  The cycle of increasing rights fees leads to increasing salaries, increasing ticket prices, increasing fees...the pushback is there, to a degree, with the cord-cutting.  The failures of the regional sports nets that banked on the continuing growth.  It's not enough yet, to really impact anything, but it could easily be the warning signs.....

51 minutes ago, Pariah said:

So much red in the stands at Folsom Field today. It ain't right.

Have you ever BEEN in Folsom Field for a CU-Nebraska game?

It's always that way.  Regrettable, I grant, but true.  And they were *obnoxious*.  2nd worst fans I ever saw there.  Worst?  LSU.

Early returns suggest 1 thing.  TCU may be REALLY bad.

Have to admit, the Huskers have been most generous guests.  Or perhaps we should say, the QB has been...?

Fundamentally responsible for 8 turnovers in 2 games...7 direct, then that handoff just now, he was too far from the back.  And they can't replace him?

I really can't say Colorado's outplaying Nebraska for the most part...4 turnovers is just a total killer.  And moving into the 4th, the Nebraska defense is losing a step, much like last week.  Buffs run a reverse that sets up to a T to finish off a short-ish drive after TO #4...29-7 with the extra point to come.  The ONLY question left is whether Nebraska pulls their disastrous QB.

NOT happy to see multiple unsportsmanlike calls on the Buffs...this is a serious concern in my book, with Sanders as coach.  A couple...I can live with em.  One was after a defender hit Shedeur as he was sliding...but it was real close.  Still, protect your guy.  Other...Husker defense smacked a lineman away from the play, another retaliated.  Also...not horrible.  Now Sanders takes his helmet off coming back from OB, while the play's still going, or perhaps JUST after.  No brainer call, you just can't do that.  And that many?  The negative side of swagger is lack of discipline.  It won't cost today, but Nebraska may soon see the Bottom 25, the way they're going.

EDIT:  if Matt Rhule wasn't in his first year, I'd predict he wouldn't last out the season.  Cuz this is now a beatdown.

ARGH!!!

HATE HATE HATE!!!!! RG III saying the refs NOT calling a blatant PI is "not wanting to take over the game."  THEY DID, by NOT calling a PI in the end zone.  It's my absolute, #1 HATE in sports...that saying NOT making the call, is "letting the game play out."  NO, IT'S NOT.  Utah escapes 20-13 as the refs steal Baylor's chance.

But we can't celebrate the victors.  I mean....man...Texas football is THE MOST obnoxious program in all of college sports.  

New aphorism for the modern sports fan.

To err is human.  To really foul things up requires replay.

No, it's not tied to any specific call from today, it just bounced thru my head on its own just now.