NBA 2023-2024

unclevlad

Talking about ugly....

Watching SVP post game.  Harden played his first game for the Clippers, with the desirable result...they lost.  

But they had a post-game interview.  CRIPES!  His beard has become ridiculous!  Not so much long as bushy...out of control bushy.  5,6 inches long ALL OVER bushy.  I read it like he's saying "I don't care what you think, in fact I dare you to comment about it."  

It's been bushy for years, but now it's MUCH more so.

11 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The Harden Effect is in full swing.

The Phillies are 8-1.

The Clippers have gone 0-4 in the games he's played.  +/- is a tricky stat, but...in those 4 games, he's been -18, -15, -6, and -28 tonight...against the bottom-dwelling Grizzlies, who get only their 2nd win of the season.

Following up, my cousin the Clippers fan is quite sick about this. Beyond Harden being Harden, they lost too much of their bench to match salaries.

Draymond Green gets suspended for 5 games for escalating, putting a choke hold on Rudy Gobert.  Joe Dumars. now a league exec VP, noted that an extensive history was a contributing factor to the length.

Didn't post anything about this last night cuz I wanted to see what the league would do.  I'd have preferred it to be longer...but we know long suspensions are hard to hand down.  At this point, tho, Draymond has completely thrown away any forgiveness I might've had for his style.  

My, my...more on Harden.  Chris Broussard let a really bad word..."retarded"...slip out, applying it to Harden.

https://sidelinesources.com/nba/chris-broussard-calls-james-harden-the-r-word-quickly-apologizes/

Broussard's experienced and solid, he doesn't toss out clickbait lines like most of the FS1 crew does.  I read it that there were strong feelings there...that got the better of him.  Given that it's Harden, that's a rather easy interpretation to draw.

BTW, Dameris apologized for his remarks...because no one's allowed to disrupt the NBA Hype Machine THAT much.  Which is likely the root of the problem that results in a Harden or Irving.

Plus, it's highly unusual for any suspension to exceed one or two games, for on-court actions.  There's obvious exceptions;  the longest was, I believe, the Kermit Washington suspension, but that was multiple orders of magnitude worse.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/longest-suspensions-adam-silver-era-draymond-green-choke

Also note that a baseball suspension for something on-field is rarely more than 5 games...of a schedule twice as long.

I also think this is the last warning...that next time it's going to be much longer.

The West is topsy-turvy so far.  T'wolves are 8-3;  Rockets are 6-3;  Thunder are 7-4;  Kings are 6-4.  They're 3-6 in the West right now, after being mostly doormats.  

• 4 weeks later...

And this phrasing suggests it is NOT directly appealable.  That phrasing suggests the basis is conduct detrimental to the league.  League's saying enough is enough.  A decent suspension...based on usual NBA suspensions...didn't fix things.  Just a couple weeks later, there's this?  Yeah, it's a bigger hammer than I'd guessed, but it makes sense.  In some ways, this actually feels similar to the Ja Morant suspension.

EDIT:  apparently Green has agreed that he needs help, so there will be no appeal, despite the indeterminate length.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good question.  You beat me to it. 

Scuttlebutt...

a)  bottom 10 in defense...after #4 last year.

b)  rookie coach...strong vets.  ESPN SC discussion noted he never had the locker room, which with Lillard, Giannis, Middleton, and both Lopezes...that's a whole lot of years of experience.

Huh...Around the Horn's opening topic was Embiid's big night.  Cowlishaw brought up a Chamberlain stat, from the '61-62 year of insanity...the year he averaged *50* per game.  Well, Cowlishaw tossed in another NEVER EVER BE BROKEN record...Chamberlain averaged 48.5 minutes per game.

Yeah, an NBA game is only 48 long.

Chamberlain missed 7 minutes...TOTAL.  13 OTs bring it up over 48.

Load management...?  What's that?  

Almost no one averages 41 minutes a game...missing 7 minutes...much less 7 minutes for the *season*.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

b)  rookie coach...strong vets.  ESPN SC discussion noted he never had the locker room, which with Lillard, Giannis, Middleton, and both Lopezes...that's a whole lot of years of experience.

Inmates running the asylum. That used to be unusual.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

Huh...Around the Horn's opening topic was Embiid's big night.  Cowlishaw brought up a Chamberlain stat, from the '61-62 year of insanity...the year he averaged *50* per game.  Well, Cowlishaw tossed in another NEVER EVER BE BROKEN record...Chamberlain averaged 48.5 minutes per game.

Yeah, an NBA game is only 48 long.

Chamberlain missed 7 minutes...TOTAL.  13 OTs bring it up over 48.

Load management...?  What's that?  

Almost no one averages 41 minutes a game...missing 7 minutes...much less 7 minutes for the *season*.

This is amazing. Sure, the game is different now, but it's almost impossible to imagine any modern athlete in any sport with that kind of durability.