NBA 2023-2024

unclevlad

Well, it's a tad early, as training camps don't open for a while but...

In what some are calling explosive but I'd call predictable...

James Harden *blasts* Sixers GM Daryl Morey and vows never to play for an organization of which he's a part.  Even doubled down on it, in case people didn't get the message.

ESPN story says he's upset about not getting a long term max deal...poor baby.  Only signed a $35M extension...in order to facilitate a trade, but he turns 34 this month.  Consistent comments from analysts during the playoffs were, he's lost a step.  He was completely MIA in all 4 losses to Boston...12 for 55 from the field, 3 for 24 from 3...and had 2 terrible games against Brooklyn.  2 good games, as well, but that isn't good enough when you're talking $35M.  

And his consistent petulance can't be ignored.  Well, OK, too often it is...but what's he got left, in the *best* case?  Plus, given that he says "Clippers or bust"...there's no leverage to make a deal.

If Harden doesn't play another minute this season, I'm fine.  If he never plays again...I'm ecstatic.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Uni-Watch just released their article on this year's NBA City Edition jerseys.

And may I simply say ... woof.

From the article:

Obviously, most of these are somewhere between pointless and awful. I can’t bring myself to dignify them with any further commentary, except to say that the Nuggets’ design is particularly bad because it fails both aesthetically and functionally — putting “5280” on every jersey is going to annoy spotters, refs, broadcasters, and probably fans too.

The two teams closest to me:

F9F90xhbwAAPdxZ-672x672.jpeg  F9GFuIgbAAASXhv.jpeg 

Edited by Pariah

No, you may not say "woof."  

You offend dogs with that comparison.  They're smarter and have better taste.

Individually...some are OK.  I'm fine with Chicago's, and Detroit's...individually.  I do agree with *many* of the comments, tho...some black and/or gray is fine, but there's far too much of it.  And most range from poor to terrible.  So...no, not woof.  More like that potato salad you stashed in the fridge...then forgot for a month....

The NBA has bugged me for a while. I've never been a huge fan of basketball anyway, even back in the glory days of Magic and Bird and Michael and Stockton to Malone. But the NBA always seemed a little ... off compared to the other major sports. Today, I think I realized why. Someone finally put my subconscious thoughts into words.

Taken from an article at Uni-Watch today:

That’s pretty rich. [NBA Commissioner Adam] Silver, as much as anyone, is responsible for transforming the NBA into more of a lifestyle brand than a sports league, and for encouraging fans to view the players more as celebrities than as athletes.

Sure, a lot of professional athletes are celebrities, and professional sports has always been entertainment. But in the case of the NBA, I think the pendulum swung too far for my taste. To me, the NBA is half a step above WWE, with too many people being famous for being famous. 

YMMV, of course.

Edited by Pariah

So now, apparently based on the roaring success of the play-in games to get into the playoffs, the NBA is instituting an in-season tournament.

Yay, I guess?

I do know they have new court designs and new merchandise to sell for the event, which I guess is probably all the justification they need to have it.

Somebody let me know how it all turns out, will you?

I also don't watch much NBA anymore myself, but I did get a chance to watch a whole half of Victor Wembanyana the other night.  Wow...he is definitely a unicorn.  Every bit of 7'4" but absolutely moves and handles the ball like a 6'5" guard.  It was pretty impressive.

Edited by Starlord

On 11/4/2023 at 8:01 AM, unclevlad said:

LOL  that would require me to pay attention to it.

And might mean I have to watch some of the games...on those *hideous* courts..........

20 hours ago, Pariah said:

Looking at some of those court designs makes me wish for the glory days of black and white television.

Some of the courts are ... distinctive but others are pretty nice. The red ones should all go into the woodchipper as soon as their team is eliminated though.

NBA debuts In-Season Tournament courts for all 30 teams | NBA.com

On 11/5/2023 at 7:36 AM, Grailknight said:

Some of the courts are ... distinctive but others are pretty nice. The red ones should all go into the woodchipper as soon as their team is eliminated though.

NBA debuts In-Season Tournament courts for all 30 teams | NBA.com

And then there are these comments....

There is no reasonable world in which your eyes must adjust to this visual simply to watch a basketball game.

image.png.e6cff631d97f124c8b85333f316c6baa.png

image.png.709107474492e52ef1e361fd89d19c92.png

The Smurf Turf at Boise State is bad.  There's a school that has red turf;  it's also bad.  But neither comes close to these atrocities, IMO, because these are very saturated, and that blue is blindingly bright.  AND eye assault yellow!

Just now, unclevlad said:

The Smurf Turf at Boise State is bad.  There's a school that has red turf;  it's also bad.  But neither comes close to these atrocities, IMO, because these are very saturated, and that blue is blindingly bright.  AND eye assault yellow!

The school with red turf is Eastern Washington. It's pretty horrific. Coastal Carolina has teal turf; it's close enough to green that it makes you wonder if your TV settings are askew. But the worst one has to be Central Arkansas, which has alternating purple and gray. Ish.

But I would still rather watch an entire game on any of these fields than watch even five minutes of an NBA game on any of these monstrosities.