SHAME on us!!!!

unclevlad

Mount Charleston received 7.87 inches of rain over two days. flooding damaged some of the pipes for their water system, so they are on a boil notice for drinking water.

Lee Canyon and Kyle Canyon received 8" of rain between Friday and Sunday night. The road to Kyle Canyon is washed out.

Red Rock Canyon had 3.23 inches at the visitor's station between Friday and Sunday night. Summerlin West (which is near Red Rock Canyon) had between an inch and an inch and a half.

Some parts of the Southwest part of the Vegas Valley received between 1 and two inches. 

My part of town (east side) might have received about a half-inch of rain over the weekend. 

Henderson received between .31" and .39" at the Raiders training center over the weekend.

There's a large homeless population that lives in the drainage system; teams went in beforehand to evacuate them. The Flamingo Wash has been routed under Caesars Palace and the Las Vegas Strip, and it continues through the Linq parking garage (the video below is the system working as intended; this is what happened before the flood channel was constructed

Geez lou wheeze

Pardon, that wasn't helpful. I used to live in North Las Vegas. I remember my mom scoffing when my grandfather told her of flooding there. She said there just wasn't that much rain there for flooding. However what we learned she didn't consider was that much of the ground was pretty hard baked. It didn't drink in the water as quickly as the soil we had been used to. So yeah, it could flood.

And that was minuscule compared to this

48 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Geez lou wheeze

Pardon, that wasn't helpful. I used to live in North Las Vegas. I remember my mom scoffing when my grandfather told her of flooding there. She said there just wasn't that much rain there for flooding. However what we learned she didn't consider was that much of the ground was pretty hard baked. It didn't drink in the water as quickly as the soil we had been used to. So yeah, it could flood.

And that was minuscule compared to this

Flood control has greatly improved in Clark County since I first moved here in 1982. A bunch of retention basins have been constructed (mainly on the west side--water flows from west to east on its way to Lake Mead). Drainage projects have improved the situation in many places, like the Charleston Underpass, which hasn't flooded since 2009. 

2504e7d8-bbd5-4bb9-bd9f-4e156f81a516-Tak 

1 hour ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Hey, I moved from Florida to the West Coast going on 30 years ago. I'm pretty sure none of those things followed me out here. Had to be someone else.

Nah, just took that long to trace you.

We're getting the effect of Harold now.  Nothing nearly as bad, altho flash flood warnings are out.  

On 8/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, Hermit said:

Good to know! I spent some time in the mid to late 80s there before moving thus my memories are all I have of the area. Glad they improved Flood Control.

Speaking of Lake Mead, I am guessing this is helping it's recently dwindling water levels catch up again?

'This buys a year': Hurricane Hilary edges up Lake Mead water level

Lake Mead water levels are at the highest point this year after Hurricane Hilary swept through the Southwest.

The lake stands 1,063.95 feet above mean sea level according to information collected by LakeLevels. This is over 20 feet higher than where the lake was on this day last year, almost four feet below where it was the year before, and almost 20 feet under where the lake was in 2020.

A wet winter helped fill the reservoir on the Arizona and Nevada border on the Colorado River. At the beginning of the year, the lake was around 1044 feet above mean sea level, reaching 1050 feet in May. Prior to Hurricane Hilary making landfall, the lake measured 1063.49 feet above mean sea level.