Spend Experience to payoff Complications

greysword

Thanks for the input, HeroGM.  That didn't work for the 6e character.

Thanks Simon.  Unfortunately, that didn't change the Experience Used.

Do I reduce the Experience Earned and Matching Complications?  I'm using build Build 20160607.

The only way to get Experience Spent to move is to reduce the Point (initial points), but keep the matching complications the same.

You need to reduce all - the base/initial points are based on the character having the GM defined amount of matching complications. When you reduce the matching complications, you need to reduce the base points accordingly.  It’s an awkward side effect in the change from Disads to Matching Complications.

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

You need to reduce all - the base/initial points are based on the character having the GM defined amount of matching complications. When you reduce the matching complications, you need to reduce the base points accordingly.  It’s an awkward side effect in the change from Disads to Matching Complications.

Awesome, thanks! 

So to summarize:

1) Add the Experience

2) Reduce the (starting) Points by the amount of the payoff

3) Reduce the Matching Complications by the same amount

4) Delete the Complication

It's really the reduction of the (starting) Points that increases the Experience Spent.  The Matching Complication reduction and the deletion of the Complication are just bookkeeping exercises.  The downside; there is no log of the initial (starting) Points and their later reduction, so no one would know what the actual starting points were, unless this is kept in the Notes log.somewhere.

Again, an awkward effect of the way they wanted Matching Complications to function.

You can always leave the Matching Complications set to the original level - they don't factor into any calculations.  Reducing the Points, setting the Experience Earned, and eliminating the Complication(s) that have been bought off through Experience will show what you need.

On 8/29/2023 at 7:54 PM, Simon said:

Again, an awkward effect of the way they wanted Matching Complications to function.

You can always leave the Matching Complications set to the original level - they don't factor into any calculations.  Reducing the Points, setting the Experience Earned, and eliminating the Complication(s) that have been bought off through Experience will show what you need.

I think that is the approach I have used with players who wanted to buy down complications.  Then we just put a note in one of the note fields that we did that.

I would put a Custom Complication as Paid Off for the points and then reduce the Points by the listed amount paid off. Otherwise you are just getting rid of a Complication but not paying anything for it.

It was much simpler in 5th edition and before that disadvantages were just part of the points you could spend. I like much of 6th edition but that is one thing that I think shouldn't have been changed.