Operation Ubermachien

tiger

On 4/13/2024 at 12:54 PM, tiger said:

Ok guys, I'm having a major brain f**t. I know i've seen Thugmaster, but now I can't find him to save my life

Only mention of Thugmaster and his "School for Thugs" I can recall is IIRC in The Great Supervillain Contest, in the background for one of the villains. (Obviously inspired by Marvel's Taskmaster.) You might be thinking of the Hexmaster, from an early issue of Adventurers Club. I used to confuse those two often myself.

19 hours ago, DShomshak said:

Well, *that's* a tease...

In the meantime, I shall immodestly mention my Shared Origins: the Dynatron supplement (available in the HERO Store!) as an example of one way to handle the tropes of the "origin machine" and "supoer-powers for sale."

Dean Shomshak

I enjoy them. Welcome to advertise them on my Tiger Paw Press Facebook page if you like

I long-since created stats for Thugmaster (in 4th ed).

How I play him:

He's a leader and able to go head-to-head with a hero but he's not a megavillain, nor is he supposed to be. I play him as the guy behind things happening in episodes, with the heroes occasionally meeting him - and fighting him. He always has an escape route prepared; those escape routes are not supertechnology such as a teleportation belt or anything like that. Instead, his escape routes involve things such as mirrors, sliding doors, smoke grenade, etc.

He is the one that the heroes will grow to dislike (but not the players) because he lures young people to a temporary lair, no more than 10 at a time to minimize his scheme. He looks for people who have latent or actual powers but aren't at any level that would turn them into an instant hero. He plans to train them to be his stooges and with training, help them to develop their powers. His goals are long-term.

I gave him 1d6 Unluck to represent his failings and that heroes always seem to be able to pick up his trail so they can thwart him. You can add other skills as you like.

Edited by Tech

Okay, the little snag I mentioned is the fact that Heroic Publication and Dennis Mallonee actually own the rights to the Umbermachine and the characters there of. Also, found out he owns the rights to Enemies III as well, who knew? However, talking with him we are working on making gaming supplements together. These will be available on DriveThruRPG exclusively, and the first will be Umbermachine. Pomagraner twins, Jabberock, Spectra, Darkon, Blonde Bombshell, Gladiatrix, Thugmaster with thugs, Goldrush, Goldmind, Goldbrick. Could be additional as well but these at the moment

At least 11 writeups before adding original characters. I honestly forgotten about Darkon. Nice to know you worked with Dennis to make it happen.

If you actually need more characters to put in this, an ex-villain turned hero could work. You might actually ask Dennis about the 'rules' around the Ubermachine. Can people die instead of gaining powers? Exactly what powers can a person get when using it? What would happen if someone with powers uses the machine? And, any other questions I can't think of.

11 hours ago, Mark Rand said:

Didn't have photographic reflexes and run a school for training thugs?

The modern writeup for Thugmaster would probably have that.

Mostly because that didn't exist till 4ed.

Oops. Was thinking of Lighting Reflexes. I see this as a 50 point VVP, only to mimic skills and skill defined powers (examples: Invisability defined as Stealth, Flight defined as hyper climbing only when in contact with vertical surfaces, Healing which requires a first aid roll).

Edited by Stanley Teriaca