An open question about "Speed"

Rick

In one of the Matrix DVD special bits, Keanu Reeves mentions that in some of the battles, the Brothers would ask him "how many maneuvers can you do in ten seconds?" He would answer "seven?" They would respond "Do eighteen".

92 takes later, he gets it perfect.

The point is, Keanu Reeves is a slightly trained normal, sure they had intensive martial arts training for the movies, but it was only for nine months, and it was only to look good and move fast. However, being able to do 18 punch, kick, block, throw combinations in 10 seconds could certainly be construed to be more than a 2 speed. Of course this was with the special effects folks doing their tricks, so perhaps he actually did these moves a bit slower (like in 20 or 30 seconds) it's hard to judge without seeing the whole process.

So sure Neo has like an 8 speed maybe even a 10, but even a trained normal can get up there.

I think Speed is basically a measure of how quickly you can act in a stressful or fast-paced situation, like a combat or athletic event. It's closely related to Dexterity, so reaction time and reflexes are the single biggest factors. But fast thinking, fast movement and training and experience could all be good SFX explanations for a high SPD.

Classic real world example--Bruce Lee, one of the fastest martial artists who ever lived.

Classic comic book examples--Captain America, who has the optimal human physique, reflexes and combat training and experience.

Spider-Man, superhuman reflexes and reactions, plus extensive experience in the use of his ability, and quick thinking

Silver Surfer--swoops around at superluminal speeds, dodges autofire laser beams with effortless grace, has cosmic level perceptual speed

The Barry Allen Flash. If he's not a SPD 12, who the #@$% is?

Originally posted by Chromatic

In one of the Matrix DVD special bits, Keanu Reeves mentions that in some of the battles, the Brothers would ask him "how many maneuvers can you do in ten seconds?" He would answer "seven?" They would respond "Do eighteen".

92 takes later, he gets it perfect.

Is this Speed, or levels in Sweep/Rapid Attack? The book provides examples of chgaracters using Sweep to make several attacks, each using a diferent maneuver.

You can simulate this multiple ways, in other words.

Originally posted by Rick

Barry Allen could be a 6 spd W/levels for sweep, multiple move by/through and area effect powers.

No where does it is say he has to be a 12 spd. Though it is a viable option.

He can run at or close to lightspeed, and move, think and react at those speeds(at his peak level).

At any rate, I would have a hard time putting anyone at a higher SPD than Barry:D

Originally posted by megaplayboy

He can run at or close to lightspeed, and move, think and react at those speeds(at his peak level).

At any rate, I would have a hard time putting anyone at a higher SPD than Barry:D

I dunno. All he is is fast. You take a sufficiently powerful supercomputer AI and it can justify a SPD beyond 12. A full second is an awfully long time to a fast computer.

Besides, like I said, all he is is fast. That's nothing compared to somebody who can actually manipulate timespace. An infinite number of actions between post phase 12 and the end of phase 1? Plausible for somebody who manipulates timespace, not so much for somebody who is just faster than normal.

And then there's speed beyond infinitely fast, the ability to actually blink back in time a bit and do something. How fast is that?

In actual play, though - I wouldn't want there to be anything in the game faster than the Flash. For sanity's sake if nothing else.

$0.02

re Barry Allen Flash

He can run at or close to lightspeed

Put enough Megascale on your base 6" of running, and attaining Lightspeed is pretty easy. Let's assume he's got +40" at 0 END for combat (60 puoints). Put that in a multipower with Megascale on normal (6") running, and he can have a +10 naked advantage. That makes each inch 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 km. Fast enough for you?

Maybe we should add Megascale on sight so he can see where he's going. Now he can get about 8 levels of Megascale (+2 advantage) for 62 points, so we'll need another couple points in the MP base. Each inch is now only 10,000,000 km. Assuming a 6 Speed (and he certainly doesn't have less than that), he runs at 18,000,000,000 KPH. Every added +1/4 megascale provides a 10x increment. A 12 speed only doubles it.

and move, think and react at those speeds(at his peak level).

I don't recall him doing a lot at those speeds, except when DC would go over the topn and have him fight another speedster at those velocities. Even then, if he moves faster than sound, he would create a sonic boom (he did that once or twice in the books; probably went desolid at those speeds if he wanted to avoid it).

Thinking speed and reaction time does imply a higher SPD to me.

I would put him in the upper echelons, in any case. But the point his abilities can be simulated in ways other than a 12 Speed is valid.

Chromatic, that is without question the most intensely irritating avatar I've yet seen on the internet. It's like watching a popup add repeat itself over and over and over and...

I don't suppose I can possibly persuade you to use a.. er, less flashy one? :(

EDIT: Never mind; I just blocked any animations from your avatar's web-address. Now it just stands there looking vaguely menacing. :cool:

Originally posted by Hugh Neilson

Put enough Megascale on your base 6" of running, and attaining Lightspeed is pretty easy. Let's assume he's got +40" at 0 END for combat (60 puoints). Put that in a multipower with Megascale on normal (6") running, and he can have a +10 naked advantage. That makes each inch 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 km. Fast enough for you?

Maybe we should add Megascale on sight so he can see where he's going. Now he can get about 8 levels of Megascale (+2 advantage) for 62 points, so we'll need another couple points in the MP base. Each inch is now only 10,000,000 km. Assuming a 6 Speed (and he certainly doesn't have less than that), he runs at 18,000,000,000 KPH. Every added +1/4 megascale provides a 10x increment. A 12 speed only doubles it.

My most recent Speedster was built along these lines: