Penetrating HAs?

Bengal

The character conception I have is a martial artist who can focus his Chi powers in such a manner that he can always do some body damage with his (blunt) escrima sticks. Is Penetrating an acceptable way to build this, and if so, how does one determine how much body gets through? If not, what is an appropriate construction?

I'm POSITIVE this has been answered, but I'm failing to find it.

How does an advantaged Hand-to-Hand-Attack work with Martial Arts? Here's concrete example(s):

STR 20

Martial Strike (+2d6)

HA +2d6 - no advantages

Full up Martial Strike does 4d6 (STR) + 2d6 (HA) + 2d6 (MA)

Next, same guy with Penetrating HA - what happens?

This is really pissing me off, I KNOW I've seen this answered!

Originally posted by TaxiMan

I'm POSITIVE this has been answered, but I'm failing to find it.

How does an advantaged Hand-to-Hand-Attack work with Martial Arts? Here's concrete example(s):

STR 20

Martial Strike (+2d6)

HA +2d6 - no advantages

Full up Martial Strike does 4d6 (STR) + 2d6 (HA) + 2d6 (MA)

Next, same guy with Penetrating HA - what happens?

This is really pissing me off, I KNOW I've seen this answered!

He can do either a 4d6 Penetrating attack -or- an 8d6 normal attack.

When an advantage like Penetrating, AP, or the like is on a HA you can add up to an equal number of DCs as the base HA. So a 2d6 Penetrating HA can only ever go up to 4d6. A 4d6 Penetrating HA could be doubled to 8d6 via some combo of STR and Martial Attack by the same fellow.

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

Or he can do an 8d6 attack of which 4d6 is Penetrating, thus almost always leaking through 4 Stun per attack versus any non-Hardened opponent.

My martial artist uses just such a Penetrating HA to simulate her Supersonic Palm Strikeâ„¢.

Perhaps I might point out that the original poster stipulated that some body damage always leaks through. All of the examples using penetration will not achieve this as the leaking damage is STUN not BODY.

In order to fulfill the original request, I would use a stacked NND does body.

$0.02

AH HA! A stacked NND, Does Body. Very good! Or perhaps a 1/2d6 KA Penetrating Does no Stun, stacked with the normal attack?

thank you, thank you. I usually use some sort of stacked abilities when designing interesting powers, but on this occasion it had eluded me.

Guest Keneton

Well?

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

When an advantage like Penetrating, AP, or the like is on a HA you can add up to an equal number of DCs as the base HA. So a 2d6 Penetrating HA can only ever go up to 4d6. A 4d6 Penetrating HA could be doubled to 8d6 via some combo of STR and Martial Attack by the same fellow.

This answer is incorrect. Martial arts damage and strength are base damage. The advantaged hand attack can add to to the attack up to its unmodified base. The unmodified HA add as base damage.

20 Str (DC4) + Martial Strike (DC +2) + 2d6 HA w/ no advantages = 8d6 Normal.

Advantaged (Penetrating) HA (2 DC Base) + max add from strength (2DC) + martial Arts (2dc) = 6d6 Penetrating.

That is the correct way. (See FRED pages 270-272 specifically paragraph 1 of 272.) Your thought process is correct, but unless the FAQ has changed the rules, the Martial arts adds straight to advantaged HA's. (See aforementioned section)

I hava attached a remarkable piece that explains this better written by Talon I believe.

:)

Actually, since he wants to leak BODY through, it should be a HKA, not HA, and you would then convert the DC's in Martial Arts (including maneuvers and accounting for the +1/2 advantage penetrating) into Killing DC.

Thus: 20str guy with 8d6 punch maneuver and 1 point escrima sticks weapon style uses his:

2d6 HKA penetrating +1/2 OAF escrima sticks [total 18DC possible]

and he can now do 17DC of killing damage which converts to 3 1/2D penetrating killing attack. when he rolls out damage, he will always get at least 1 pip of body through for each 6 rolled on the body dice (including the half die) and the accompanying stun pip to boot.

I don't think your penetrating HKA really accomplishes his stated goal. While it is true that a 3 1/2 d6 Penetrating KA will leak through 3 or 4 points of body damage, it will also cause an unarmored opponent to explode like a blood filled water baloon, which is rather unlike a blunt escrima stick embued with chi. (unless you are using a very Fist of the Northstar sort of definition of Chi energy)

I think a few dice of NND does body linked to the martial arts attack fits the description nicely and doesn't cause normals to explode into kibble.

$0.02

Originally posted by Chromatic

Actually, since he wants to leak BODY through, it should be a HKA, not HA, and you would then convert the DC's in Martial Arts (including maneuvers and accounting for the +1/2 advantage penetrating) into Killing DC.

Thus: 20str guy with 8d6 punch maneuver and 1 point escrima sticks weapon style uses his:

2d6 HKA penetrating +1/2 OAF escrima sticks [total 18DC possible]

and he can now do 17DC of killing damage which converts to 3 1/2D penetrating killing attack. when he rolls out damage, he will always get at least 1 pip of body through for each 6 rolled on the body dice (including the half die) and the accompanying stun pip to boot.

Technically, the guy does 15 DC of killing damage. His str adds 4 DC, but the 4 DC of martial maneuver bonuses are halved for killing attacks. Thus 3d6+1 penetrating HKA.

I don't have the sheet in front of me, but this is how I wrote it up last night:

WF: Escrima Sticks

+2d6 H2H Attack PD OAF (6D6 w/strength, 8D6 w/martial strike)

plus

1d6 NND Does Body, Defense is full-coverage Hardened Resistant PD or having own Chi Powers (+2) OAF

total cost 11