Marvel's Ultimate Universe: Cyclops

Allandrel

Standard Opening: I’m preparing to run a game set in Marvel’s Ultimate Universe. I’ve been roleplaying for ten years, but I’m new to the Hero System. To help prepare for my game, and more importantly to help learn the ins and outs of the system, I’m statting up the entire Ultimate Universe. What I’m looking for here is feedback and suggestions on how to get the effects I want using the Hero system, rather than precisely replicating the abilities of the characters (though I’d like to do that, too).

(In addition, whenever I lack information about a character’s abilities, I’m going to fall back on the assumption that they’re pretty much the same as their Marvel Universe counterpart.)

I’ve already gone over Spider-Man, and was going to do the Green Goblin next. But he’s got some complicated Multiform stuff that I’d rather hold off on. Since the main thing I’m focusing on right now is Power Modifiers, I thought I’d look at a guy who is just loaded with them: the X-Men’s Cyclops.

Cyclop’s mundane abilities are very straightforward. Good (but not exceptional) characteristics, lots of skills. The main area of interest is his powers. Cyclops’ optic blasts present an interesting challenge. As a power, it’s easy enough to place. He does two things with the blast: hits things to damage them, and deflects incoming attacks. Thus we have the Energy Blast Power and the Missile Deflection power. Since they are both uses of the same power, and would be equally affected by Adjustment powers like Drain, we’re probably looking at a two-power Elemental Control.

So here’s the traits we’re looking to represent, starting with the easy ones:

1. Beam Power: Judging from the beams effectiveness against various targets, we’re looking at 12-14d6 here. It loses power with range, so Reduced By Range is appropriate. Cyclops can widen the beam at the cost of diminished power. The combat rules for “spreading an attack†represent this perfectly, so we don’t need a Modifier.

2. Cyclops’ flesh absorbs the beams with no effect. The Personal Immunity advantage in action.

3. Persistent eyebeams. The only thing that turns them off (short of a Drain or Suppress) is being absorbed by Cyclops’ flesh (i.e. closing his eyes) or being reflected by ruby quartz. The Champions book suggests Reduced Endurance (No END), Persistent, and Always On, with Always On partially bought off with OAF (visor).

This seems a bit incomplete, as it doesn’t cover the effects of losing his visor. Cyclops can still turn the beam off at will, but at the cost of being blinded. And if he gains another Targeting Sense (such as through a telepathic link), he can still use his blast to fair effect. In addition, if he is unable to operate the visor, his can’t use his power at all.

To open his visor, Cyclops needs to either press the button on it (or raise his glasses), requiring a free hand – the Restrainable Limitation in action. However… his combat uniform has button for his visor on his gloves, which would require restraining his fingers, not just his arms.

So what we have is a power that Cyclops can usually use, but certain circumstances can prevent it. How to we represent this? Restrainable seems a bit too broad, since his gloves let him get around Grabs or Entangles that would normally Restrain a power. On the other hand, his fingers could be restrained (hard enough to do that I wouldn’t qualify it for a Limitation), or his gloves could be removed (an IIF, except that he doesn’t need the gloves to use his power, just to avoid being Restrained).

I still don’t know what to do about the blindness factor. Possibly a Physical Limitation.

4. How much of this would also apply to Missile Deflection? Its use is restricted in all the same ways as the Energy Blast – should it have all the same Modifiers except for those like Reduced by Range, Reduced END, and such that don’t apply to a Missile Deflection.

Anyway, feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by Eyendasky80

Only thought I have is that Physical limitation is the way to go on the Blindness. Just make it roughly half as limiting as being blind since, for the most part, his vision is unhampered.

That's what I'll probably go with. Infrequently, Fully Impairing.

Rage wrote:

Cyclops has variable limitation. Infact he's the posterboy for it.

Either OIF Visor OAF GLASSES or UNCONTROLLED Wearing that.

Variable Limitation sounds good, since that will avoid things like Restrainable partially bought off with IIF, etc.

Cyclops' visor is an OAf, though, as someone can grab it and yank it off his head with a simple attack (as Nightcrawler did in #7). Uncontrolled also seems to apply to "fire and forget" powers, not to constant streams of energy.

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by Lightray

Also, Cyclops either blasts things OR deflects things, not both at the same time. So you don't want an EC, you want a multipower.

I'd also suggest three slots:

1) Energy Blast (broad beam)

2) RKA (focused beam)

3) Missile Deflection

Both powers involve him doing the same thing: pushing his button and zapping something. He only does one thing at a time, but a Multipower would require him to shift power between zapping things and zapping things.

Since rearranging Active Points in a Multipower is a zero-phase action, a multipower eye beam would prevent Cyclops from being able to abort to a deflection because he spent his last phase attacking, or to limit the power of his beams so that he could deflect attacks before his next phase. His power doesn't work that way. I'll stick with an Elemental Control.

Patrick J McGraw

Cyclops does not possess the power Missle deflection

What he does is, attacks objects and destroys them with his optic blasts.

There is no citiation in marvel cannon of cyclops deflecting energy attacks. Scott just saves his phase and waits for incoming.

personal Immunity, Cyclops immune to his and any attack with the same special effect, his brother Havoc

If anything Cyclops is the poster boy for Variable Advantage.

A weird property of the optic blasts is that they gain power at distence, close up they have les force.

Originally posted by lensman

Cyclops does not possess the power Missle deflection

What he does is, attacks objects and destroys them with his optic blasts.

That's the special effect of his Missile Deflection. The game effect of Missile Deflection is "stops ranged attacks," which is what destroying the incoming attacks does.

There is no citiation in marvel cannon of cyclops deflecting energy attacks. Scott just saves his phase and waits for incoming.

It has happened a number of times. There have even been instances where he blocked a sustained blast with one of his own, holding an attack at bay while his teammates took another angle of attack.

While we haven't seen Ultimate Cyclops do this, everything he have seen indicates that his power is unchanged.

personal Immunity, Cyclops immune to his and any attack with th esame special effect, his brother Havoc

Actually, Cyclops and Havok have different special effects for their EBs. They are immune to each other's powers because they are brothers - the section of Personal Immunity notes that it sometimes applies to siblings as well.

If anything Cyclops is the poster boy for Variable Advantage. [/b]

I don't really see how. All of the different ways he hits things can be replicated with maneuvers like Spread Attack and Rapid Fire.

Patrick J McGraw

Upon further thinking I’m not 100% sure that Cyclops can do most of his special ‘tricks’ without his visor. Without it he basically has an unfocused EB. The visor is what lets him do things like focusing the beam.

One way to do this would be with a limited advantage. Buy the basic beam with Variable Advantage +3/4 or better only with OAF visor.

For example:

- 50 Eye Beams EB (12d6) Personal Immunity (+1/4), Variable Disadvantage -1 (-1/2) [OAF Visor, OAF Glasses, or No Conscious Control]

- 45 Visor Tricks Naked Advantage: Variable Advantage +3/4 on EB (+1 & 1/2) OAF: Visor (-1)

- 10 Visor Focusing Skill Levels with EB (+4) OAF: Visor (-1)

The downside to this is that you loose the RKA and Missile Defection (if you want it).

The upside is that the beam can have a *lot* of different settings like these for instance:

- x2 KB

- 1/2 End & Area Hex

- 1/2 End & Armor Piercing (this might be a good substitute for his ‘focused’ blast

- 1/2 End & Line of Sight

Etc.

And BTW I agree that the visor is an OAF in the comics. Silly but true. You would think that he would at least put something on there that would make it harder to pull off … or even wear a helmet or something that would be really hard to get off.

The alternative would be to build a MP and slap a Variable Disadvantage on the whole thing as discussed above.

Originally posted by Vanderbilt_Grad

Upon further thinking I’m not 100% sure that Cyclops can do most of his special ‘tricks’ without his visor. Without it he basically has an unfocused EB. The visor is what lets him do things like focusing the beam.

According to the much-maligned Official Handbook of the Marvel universe, Cyclops does tricks by focusing his eyes.

One way to do this would be with a limited advantage. Buy the basic beam with Variable Advantage +3/4 or better only with OAF visor.

For example:

- 50 Eye Beams EB (12d6) Personal Immunity (+1/4), Variable Disadvantage -1 (-1/2) [OAF Visor, OAF Glasses, or No Conscious Control]

No Consious Control wouldn't apply. He can choose whether or not to use the beams by closing his eyes.

- 45 Visor Tricks Naked Advantage: Variable Advantage +3/4 on EB (+1 & 1/2) OAF: Visor (-1)

- 10 Visor Focusing Skill Levels with EB (+4) OAF: Visor (-1)

The downside to this is that you loose the RKA and Missile Defection (if you want it).

The upside is that the beam can have a *lot* of different settings like these for instance:

- x2 KB

- 1/2 End & Area Hex

- 1/2 End & Armor Piercing (this might be a good substitute for his ‘focused’ blast

- 1/2 End & Line of Sight

Etc.

The beams would be Reduced END (O END), in my opinion.

And BTW I agree that the visor is an OAF in the comics. Silly but true. You would think that he would at least put something on there that would make it harder to pull off … or even wear a helmet or something that would be really hard to get off.

That would be kind of like Spider-Man getting an unstable molecule costume from the FF and no longer needing to engage in tailoring every Thursday afternoon.

The alternative would be to build a MP and slap a Variable Disadvantage on the whole thing as discussed above.

Like I said, I definitely see the nature of his power more as an EC than a Multipower.

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by Agent X

Steve Long doesn't use the variable limitation idea to represent Cyclop's need of a focus. I believe there is an example of how he would construct it in the sidebars of the Champions Genre Book.

I'd just go with variable limitation though.

The writeup they have is Persistent and Always On, with OAF applied to Always On (not kidding). My dissatisfaction with that writeup was partly what led me here.

Patrick J McGraw

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've spent the last week or so getting a fair amount of work done. Expect to see another character posted every two to three days.

Regarding point ranges: I’m building Cyclops as a Standard Superheroic character. For my Ultimate Universe, Legendary Primary Characteristics go from 18-25, with 26+ as superhuman.

CYCLOPS (Scott Summers)

CHARACTERISTICS

STR 15 (Roll 12-; Lift 200 kg; 3d6 damage) – 5 points

DEX 15 (Roll 12-; OCV: 5; DCV: 5) – 15 points

CON 15 (Roll 12-) – 10 points

BODY 15 (Roll 12-) – 10 points

INT 13 (Roll 12-, PER Roll 13-) - 3 points

EGO 15 (Roll 12-, ECV: 5), - 10 points

PRE 13 (Roll 12-, PRE Attack: 3d6) – 3 points

COM 14 (Roll 12-) – 2 points

PD 6 (Total 14 PD, 8 rPD) – 3 points

ED 6 (Total 14 ED, 8 rPD) – 3 points

SPD 4 (Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12) – 15 points

REC 7 – 2 points

END 30 – 0 points

STUN 32 – 1 point

Total Characteristic Points: 80 points.

Running: 8â€

Leaping: 3â€

Swimming: 3â€

POWERS

Optic Blast: Elemental Control, base pool of 25 points (25 Active Points), Limited Power: Will not affect Ruby Quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage(-1/2)*. Pool Cost: 17 points.

1) Concussive Blast: Energy Blast 12d6, Double Knockback (+3/4), Persistent (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) (180 Active Points: 25 pool +155 remaining); Reduced by Range (-1/4), Limited Power: Will not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2). Total cost: 89 points.

2) Focused Blast: Ranged Killing Attack 4d6, Persistent (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) (135 Active Points: 25 pool +110 remaining); Reduced by Range (-1/4), Limited Power: Will not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2), Beam (-1/4). Total Cost: 55 points.

3) Intercepting Blast: Missile Deflection (all ranged attacks), Missile Deflection At Range (+1), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points: 25 pool +25 remaining); Limited Power: Will not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2). Total Cost: 17 points.

X-Men Uniform: Armor 16 (8 rPD, 8 rED) (24 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), OIF (-1/2). Total cost: 12 points.

Athletic: Running +2†(4 Active Points). Total cost: 4 points.

Athletic: Swimming +1†(1 Active Point). Total cost: 1 point.

Perceptive: Enhanced Perception +1 to PER Roll with all Sense Groups (3 Active Points). Total cost: 3 points

* Cyclops’ Variable Disadvantages must be chosen from the following options: 1) OAF (Visor)(-1); 2) OAF (Glasses)(-1), Restrainable (-1/4); 3) Side Effect: Blind (-1). Whenever deprived of a Focus, Cyclops must immediately switch to option #3 until he reacquires a Focus. He usually keeps a spare pair of glasses on his person at all times, and spare visors and glasses are stored in all X-Men vehicles.

Option #2 has a greater value than the Variable Limitation requires; this is why Cyclops generally doesn’t wear his glasses into combat.

Option #3 proved a tough cookie. I finally decided that the flexible nature of Side Effect worked best. I based the value of the Side Effect on the fact that the Side Effect is constant and directly hinders using the power.

Total Powers cost: 198 points.

SKILLS

+2 with Optic Blast (6 points)

+2 vs. Range with Optic Blast (4 points)

Climbing 12- (3 points)

Combat Driving 12- (3 points)

Combat Piloting 12- (3 points)

Deduction 12- (3 points)

Demolitions 12- (3 points)

Electronics 12- (3 points)

KS: Mutant Affairs 11- (2 points)

KS: Mutant Powers 11- (2 points)

Martial Arts: Defensive Strike, M. Dodge, M. Strike (13 points)

Mechanics 12- (3 points)

Navigation: Air 12- (2 points)

Paramedics 12- (3 points)

Survival: Temperate/Subtropical 12- (2 points)

Systems Operation 12- (3 points)

Tactics 12- (3 points)

Teamwork 12- (3 points)

TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Planes, Combat Aircraft, Small Motorized Boats (4 points)

PERKS

Reputation: Mutant Super Hero 11- (Known to the general public)(2 points)

Total Skill & Perk cost: 72 points

Total Cost: 350 points

DISADVANTAGES

Distinctive Feature: Mutant (Concealable, Major Reaction, Detectable only by Genetic scans or tests) (5 points)

Hunted: Hellfire Club 8- (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Watched) (15 points)

Hunted: S.H.I.E.L.D. 11- (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Watched) (20 points)

Hunted: Sinister 8-* (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Capture) (25 points)

Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total) (20 points)

Psychological Limitation: In Love with Marvel Girl (Common, Strong) (15 points)

Rivalry: Wolverine (Romantic Rival, Wolverine is More Powerful, Cyclops seeks to outdo Wolverine, Wolverine is Aware of Rivalry) (10 points)

Social Limitation: Mutant (Frequently, Major) (15 points)

Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Major) (15 points)

*Sinister has only been briefly mentioned in the Ultimate Universe, and no connection to Cyclops has been established. But since Sinister will be one of the main villains in my campaign (one of the PCs will be Cable), I went ahead and included this in Cyclops' writeup.

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Total Points: 350

On a side note::

Restrainable (-1/4) + Side Effect (-1/4) (Blind if Restrained) + Always On (-1/2) is just as valid I would think.

And as a long time X-Men fan, I cite the EC as being as equally valid a construct as the Multipower, EXCEPT for the following mechanics related discussion::

1) An EC is primarily constructed to allow usage of multiple powers within it simultaneously. Cyclops in the comics cannot fire multiple TYPES of Beams simultaneously, he has to refocus or switch.

In keeping with this, Missile Deflection is an aborted/defense action. He cannot perform the action in a phase he attacks in (according to mechanics). So why waste an EC? You can just as easily abort to Missile Deflection in a Multipower.

2) Missile Deflection IS appropriate for thrown objects, and possibly bullets. i cannot think of a bullet example. His ENERGY deflection howver can be overwhelmed by superior force. Deflection has no such limitation. I would be more likely to model it as a Dispel versus RKA and EB.

3) Cyclops often fires Area Affect attacks at agents. However, that may be spreading for multiple targets. Tomato => GM preference.

4) The Gemoetric Cubist attacks used by Cyke (the literally dozens of bounces) are very difficult to duplicate with levels. That's actually a use of the Indirect power advantage.

5) If a multipower, he can buy the slot with "TK" "Fine Manipulation" "Burst Only" to push buttons... as a matter of fact, a TK slot would be better for the "knock him far away" attacks in some cases. I must ponder that idea.

I actually prefer Cyclops with the One Big Active Point EB using Variable Advantage for the flexibility on the power suite. I don't think he actually HAS a killing attack, I think he switches to Armor Piercing, or Penetration, or (in extreme cases) NND, def => Hardened Defenses. Keep in mind, NORMALLY Cyke will be using Increased Knockback and Reduced END as a default in many cases. Variable Advantage accounts far more closely to comic book variability of his one trick pony.

Don't forget the END battery that recovers through solar power, unless that's been removed from his conception.

He can even use his Varaible Advantage to get off an occadional attack AFTER his END battery goes flat. The varialbe advantage can be switched to "personal or battery", and Cyke is hardly EVER without power.

We don't have anywhere near as much information regarding Ultimate Cyclops powers as we do Marvel Cyclops; as I noted in the first post, I'm operating on the assumption that their powers are the same unless I see something to indicate otherwise.

On a side note::

Restrainable (-1/4) + Side Effect (-1/4) (Blind if Restrained) + Always On (-1/2) is just as valid I would think.

It doesn't quite cover the range of his limitations, though. The variable disadvantage I've got seems to be about the best option.

1) An EC is primarily constructed to allow usage of multiple powers within it simultaneously. Cyclops in the comics cannot fire multiple TYPES of Beams simultaneously, he has to refocus or switch.

In keeping with this, Missile Deflection is an aborted/defense action. He cannot perform the action in a phase he attacks in (according to mechanics). So why waste an EC? You can just as easily abort to Missile Deflection in a Multipower.

Good point. Having looked over the Abort rules again, I see that a character can abort to reallocating a power framework's points into a defensive power to use that power, so whether the blast is an EC or a Multipower, he'll still be able to abort to a Missile Deflection.

2) Missile Deflection IS appropriate for thrown objects, and possibly bullets. i cannot think of a bullet example. His ENERGY deflection howver can be overwhelmed by superior force. Deflection has no such limitation. I would be more likely to model it as a Dispel versus RKA and EB.

True. Problem is, one cannot abort to a Dispel. I'll have to look into finding some other form of power vs. power defense.

3) Cyclops often fires Area Affect attacks at agents. However, that may be spreading for multiple targets. Tomato => GM preference.

Yep. My preference is for the Spread Maneuver, since this reduces the power of his attack (and his wider beams are less powerful).

4) The Gemoetric Cubist attacks used by Cyke (the literally dozens of bounces) are very difficult to duplicate with levels. That's actually a use of the Indirect power advantage.

It depends on what effect you're trying to generate. For the most part, the rules for Bouncing an attack cover it, and he has the CLs to pull off a bounce.

As for the dozens of bounces to hit targets that Cyke doesn't even have proper LOS to... Ultimate Cyclops doesn't have that level of skill yet. But if he did, Indirect would be pretty appropriate - perhaps with a Trick Shooting skill roll required.

5) If a multipower, he can buy the slot with "TK" "Fine Manipulation" "Burst Only" to push buttons... as a matter of fact, a TK slot would be better for the "knock him far away" attacks in some cases. I must ponder that idea.

Again, Ultimate Cyke has not displayed that level of skill. I would probably just make that an aspect of Trick Shooting (which I didn't give Ultimate Cyclops, because he hasn't demonstrated it).

I actually prefer Cyclops with the One Big Active Point EB using Variable Advantage for the flexibility on the power suite.

And that is the question. One big blast with Variable Advantage? Or a power framework representing each use of the power? It's essentially a matter of taste. For MU Cyclops, I'd be more inclined towards variable advantage, allowing him to pull new tricks out of his hat by making a Skill Roll. But Ultimate Cyclops has shown a pretty limited repretoire.

I don't think he actually HAS a killing attack, I think he switches to Armor Piercing, or Penetration, or (in extreme cases) NND, def => Hardened Defenses.

Going from what has been displayed in Ultimate X-Men, a Killing Attack seems apprpriate for his tight-focus blasts.

Keep in mind, NORMALLY Cyke will be using Increased Knockback and Reduced END as a default in many cases. Variable Advantage accounts far more closely to comic book variability of his one trick pony.

Like I said, Ultimate Cyke hasn't displayed all that much variability.

Don't forget the END battery that recovers through solar power, unless that's been removed from his conception.

He can even use his Varaible Advantage to get off an occadional attack AFTER his END battery goes flat. The varialbe advantage can be switched to "personal or battery", and Cyke is hardly EVER without power.

Ultimate X-Men hasn't mentioned anything about the source of the beams' power, whether a solar battery of the "extradimensiona portal eyeballs" of the OHBOTMU (ugh). In either case, we haven't seen any indication that Ultimate Cyclops' power burns out at all. Apparently all he needs to do is open his eyes and all that power just keep pouring out indefintely - hence the 0 END.

(I agree with you, though, that MU Cyclops would have an END reserve, given the "burnout" caused by continuous use.)

Patrick J McGraw

We had a long discussion a while back on aborting to Dispel. General consensus seemed to be that in that case it would be a defensive action to many GM's. Personally, I allow abort to Dispel in my campaign, unless it IS an obvious attack. ie: "I dispel his Flight as he attacks"

However, the FAQ still states that you cannot abort to a defensive Dispel manuever, so a rules purist would use the Ranged Missile Deflection. That can continue to be used to cover teamates as Cyclops is often seen to do.

Pleasure chatting with you. Who's next on your list?

Just don't ask me for commentary on Cable. I will refuse.

Self regenerating telekinetically operated bionics, more contacts than Nick Fury and Captain America put together, and suficient speed and power to take down Wolverine? Bleh.

His abilities were obvioussly assembled by Rob "see my superior characters" Liefeld.

I really like your Cyclops. No Offense, but I thought your Spidey was bit too powerful in many aspects and weak in others. All a matter of personal taste of course, he was still well built. But Cyclops looks great and he looks like he'll be fun to play too. (Got room for one more?;))

I have one little question. What about the old "He can punch through a mountain," thing, is that just MU? I've read all the trades and cannot recall any mention of his optic blast being reduced by range. Can you name me your source? Again, great job.

Originally posted by Farkling

We had a long discussion a while back on aborting to Dispel. General consensus seemed to be that in that case it would be a defensive action to many GM's. Personally, I allow abort to Dispel in my campaign, unless it IS an obvious attack. ie: "I dispel his Flight as he attacks"

However, the FAQ still states that you cannot abort to a defensive Dispel manuever, so a rules purist would use the Ranged Missile Deflection. That can continue to be used to cover teamates as Cyclops is often seen to do.

I think I'll stick with the Missile Deflection, since it creates less rules problems.

Pleasure chatting with you. Who's next on your list?

Same here. I'll be posting Wolverine in a few hours, along with an alternate (Multipower-based) version of Cyclops.

Just don't ask me for commentary on Cable. I will refuse.

Self regenerating telekinetically operated bionics, more contacts than Nick Fury and Captain America put together, and suficient speed and power to take down Wolverine? Bleh.

His abilities were obvioussly assembled by Rob "see my superior characters" Liefeld.

The character created by Rob Liefeld sucked as much as Liefeld's art (which is to say, a lot). Fortunately, other writers came along and turned him into an interesting character - a telepathic messiah fighting a war against an ancient enemy, human nature, and his own body. Also fortunately, this is the aspect my player is interested in playing up, rather than the tough guy with big guns. That's for the player playing Ultimate Bishop.

Patrick J McGraw

Originally posted by Eyendasky80 I really like your Cyclops. No Offense, but I thought your Spidey was bit too powerful in many aspects and weak in others.

None taken. I was trying to reflect the character, who has a tendency to veer between dominating fights and getting his scrawny butt kicked (and then berating himself while Mary Jane bandages his wounds - lucky Peter).

All a matter of personal taste of course, he was still well built. But Cyclops looks great and he looks like he'll be fun to play too. (Got room for one more?;))

Do you live in central Ohio?

I have one little question. What about the old "He can punch through a mountain," thing, is that just MU?

It's hyperbole as far as I can tell. The limits of his blasts have been pretty well established.

I've read all the trades and cannot recall any mention of his optic blast being reduced by range. Can you name me your source? Again, great job. [/b]

It's in the OHBOTMU. While that... lofty tome is usually useless regarding how characters' powers work (often conflicting with established continuity over strength levels, sources of energy, etc.), it description of the limitations of Cyclops' power seemed very workable for game stats.

Plus, I needed more Limitations. :(

Patrick J McGraw

Here's Version 2. After some of the discussion here, I went with a Multipower, but kept the powers otherwise the same. I used the extra points to round out Cykes skills, bring up some of his characteristics (considering what happens in Volume 6, the guy is friggin tough), and slip in the conspicuously-missing Mental Defense that all the X-Men get from Xavier's training. All changes are in blue.

Regarding Perks: I'm following the same considerations as laid out for the Champions: They get team membership, vehicles, and headquarters for free because the GM said so.

Regarding point ranges: I’m building Cyclops as a Standard Superheroic character. For my Ultimate Universe, Legendary Primary Characteristics go from 18-25, with 26+ as superhuman.

The following profile represents Cyclops as of the beginning of the X-Men's world tour, prior to facing Proteus.

CYCLOPS (Scott Summers)

CHARACTERISTICS

STR 15 (Roll 12-; Lift 200 kg; 3d6 damage) – 5 points

DEX 15 (Roll 12-; OCV: 5; DCV: 5) – 15 points

CON 15 (Roll 12-) – 10 points

BODY 15 (Roll 12-) – 10 points

INT 13 (Roll 12-, PER Roll 13-) - 3 points

EGO 15 (Roll 12-, ECV: 5), - 10 points

PRE 13 (Roll 12-, PRE Attack: 3d6) – 3 points

COM 14 (Roll 12-) – 2 points

PD 7 (Total 15 PD, 8 rPD) – 4 points

ED 10 (Total 18 ED, 8 rPD) – 7 points

SPD 4 (Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12) – 15 points

REC 7 – 2 points

END 32 – 1 point

STUN 34 – 3 points

Total Characteristic Points: 88 points.

Running: 8â€

Leaping: 3â€

Swimming: 3â€

POWERS

Optic Blast: Multipower, 180 Point Reserve (180 Active Points); Limited Power: Does not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage* (-1/2). Reserve Cost: 120 points.

1) Concussive Blast: Energy Blast 12d6, Double Knockback (+3/4), Persistent (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) (180 Active Points); Reduced by Range (-1/4), Limited Power: Does not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2). Total cost: 10 points (fixed).

2) Focused Blast: Ranged Killing Attack 4d6, Persistent (+1/2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) (135 Active Points); Reduced by Range (-1/4), Limited Power: Does not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2), Beam (-1/4). Total Cost: 7 points (fixed)

3) Intercepting Blast: Missile Deflection (all ranged attacks), Missile Deflection At Range (+1), Persistent (+1/2) (50 Active Points); Limited Power: Does not affect ruby quartz (-0), Variable Disadvantage (-1/2). Total cost: 3 points (fixed).

X-Men Uniform: Armor 16 (8 rPD, 8 rED) (24 Active Points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), OIF (-1/2). Total cost: 12 points.

Athletic: Running +2†(4 Active Points). Total cost: 4 points.

Athletic: Swimming +1†(1 Active Point). Total cost: 1 point.

Mental Defense Training: Mental Defense 10 (7 Active Points).

Perceptive: Enhanced Perception +2 to PER Roll with all Sense Groups (6 Active Points). Total cost: 6 points

* Cyclops’ Variable Disadvantages must be chosen from the following options: 1) OAF (Visor)(-1); 2) OAF (Glasses)(-1), Restrainable (-1/4); 3) Side Effect: Blind (-1). Whenever deprived of a Focus, Cyclops must immediately switch to option #3 until he reacquires a Focus. He usually keeps a spare pair of glasses on his person at all times, and spare visors and glasses are stored in all X-Men vehicles.

Option #2 has a greater value than the Variable Limitation requires; this is why Cyclops generally doesn’t wear his glasses into combat.

Option #3 proved a tough cookie. I finally decided that the flexible nature of Side Effect worked best. I based the value of the Side Effect on the fact that the Side Effect is constant and directly hinders using the power.

Total Powers cost: 170 points.

SKILLS

+2 with Optic Blast (6 points)

+2 vs. Range with Optic Blast (4 points)

Leader: +2 with Deduction, Tactics, and Teamwork Rolls (6 points)

AK: Savage Land 11- (2 points)

Breakfall 12- (3 points)

Climbing 12- (3 points)

Combat Driving 12- (3 points)

Combat Piloting 12- (3 points)

Deduction 12- (3 points)

Demolitions 12- (3 points)

Electronics 12- (3 points)

KS: Mutant Affairs 11- (2 points)

KS: Mutant Powers 11- (2 points)

Martial Arts: Defensive Strike, M. Dodge, M. Escape, M. Strike (17 points)

Mechanics 12- (3 points)

Navigation: Air, Sea 12- (4 points)

Paramedics 12- (3 points)

Security Systems 12- (3 points)

Survival: Temperate/Subtropical 12- (2 points)

Systems Operation 12- (3 points)

Tactics 12- (3 points)

Teamwork 12- (3 points)

TF: Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Small Planes, Combat Aircraft, Small Motorized Boats (4 points)

PERKS

Reputation: Mutant Super Hero 11- (Known to the general public)(2 points)

Total Skill & Perk cost: 92 points

Total Cost: 350 points

DISADVANTAGES

Distinctive Feature: Mutant (Concealable, Major Reaction, Detectable only by Genetic scans or tests) (5 points)

Hunted: Hellfire Club 8- (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Watched) (15 points)

Hunted: S.H.I.E.L.D. 11- (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Watched) (20 points)

Hunted: Sinister 8- (More Pow, NCI, Cyclops has Public Identity, Capture) (25 points)

Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing (Common, Total) (20 points)

Psychological Limitation: In Love with Marvel Girl (Common, Strong) (15 points)

Rivalry: Wolverine (Romantic Rival, Wolverine is More Powerful, Cyclops seeks to outdo Wolverine, Wolverine is Aware of Rivalry) (10 points)

Social Limitation: Mutant (Frequently, Major) (15 points)

Social Limitation: Public Identity (Frequently, Major) (15 points)

Total Disadvantage Points: 150

Base Points: 200

Total Points: 350