What WOULDN'T your character do?

Hermit

Originally posted by Chuckg

Speaking of dating Foxbat, my DM has already promised me that Starguard is going to get Foxbat as a romantic stalk... errr, suitor.

Help? :)

Find an even more attractive female character to point out to him ?

Barring that... run, fly, flee as fast as she can....

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> Find an even more attractive female character to point out

> to him ?

COM 20 and PRE 30, defined as "cuteness" and "she's just so darn likeable".

Who's left?

> Barring that... run, fly, flee as fast as she can...

"Psych Lim: Takes Her Responsibilities Seriously", and a full-time superheroing job.

Jeff (my DM) is being /horrifically/ sadistic here, and he knows it. :)

One slight problem with that strategy...

Helene could get kicked out of a Disney movie for excessive wholesomeness. She makes Trebuchet's "Zl'f" look like Britney Spears. If she even /suggested/ she wanted to sleep with Foxbat... or for that matter, anyone else she hadn't already been going steady with for months in a wholesome monogamous relationship... her teammates would immediately suspect mind control, if not demonic possession.

She's also a truly pathetic liar.

nonononoNo.

"No sex, not till after marriage, which simply must be held in "X Cathedral". And I need to invite my 43 bridesmaids, and I'd really like *this* dress from *that* magazine. What do you think would go with that, the teal or the vermillion?"

Oh, yeah, drag out a book of invitations, and ask him to pick colors and typefaces and styles.

It works better if you're a prop kinda guy, and drag out the Modern Bride magazines at the table and show them to the GM. Most men go comatose when confronted with actually having to plan the wedding. If the GM starts drooling, so much the better...

____

Get a dog and name it after him. Papillon's are nice, 'cause they got the right ears.

"This is my dog Foxbat. I'm sorry, I can't date you, it would be confusing to my little man."

I'll see what more I can come up with.

D

This is Foxbat we are talking about here. If I held out for a impossibly expensive wedding dress and venue, and a long list of presents and invitations, he'd just go try and rob Fort Knox to pay the tab, all the while screaming "You can't stop me! I'M DOING THIS FOR LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!"

This sort of embarassment, nobody needs. :)

addendum -- not to mention that Helene would never, ever, ever, ever, ever say that she was going to marry somebody unless she was actually going to marry him. It's cruel to play with peoples' affections like that... even people as annoying as Freddy.

(Edit -- online game played in AIM chat. Props not necessary, unless they're URLs.)

If I know Jeff, Foxbat's going to make his move on Starguard right after he's somehow temporarily gotten his 'fugitive' status cleared up(*) -- maybe the asylum got the paperwork mixed up and officially declared him sane when it was the /other/ "Foswell, F." who was supposed to be released, or maybe the parole computer had a glitch, or what. (Shades of when the police computer screwed up the arraignment notices in Gotham and the bailiffs released "Dent, Harvey" instead of "Kent, Harvey" from pre-trial confinement... and the latter was a misdemeanor bust, and the former was of course Two-Face.)

(*) Otherwise the rest of the team would simply beat Foxbat into a pulp and mail him to the local Silver Avenger cast into a block of concrete with only his nostrils sticking out.

This is Foxbat we are talking about here. If I held out for a impossibly expensive wedding dress and venue, and a long list of presents and invitations, he'd just go try and rob Fort Knox to pay the tab, all the while screaming "You can't stop me! I'M DOING THIS FOR LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!"

This sort of embarassment, nobody needs. :)

addendum -- not to mention that Helene would never, ever, ever, ever, ever say that she was going to marry somebody unless she was actually going to marry him. It's cruel to play with peoples' affections like that... even people as annoying as Freddy.

(Edit -- online game played in AIM chat. Props not necessary, unless they're URLs.)

You've never gotten married have you?

Not even the Craziest MF in the world will sit through trying to pick china patterns after picking the Invitations, the style and color of the bridesmaid's dresses, the venue, the menu, the number of bridesmaids, the seating chart for all the guests, all in a row.

But if she wouldn't do that....

The only other thing is to distract him with someone else.

Someone who needs a sidekick or a date or something. Another teammate? GM's favorite NPC?

>If you're a little less true blue, set him up as a Celebrity Bachelor in a Charity Auction.

>Someone will buy him.

Worse yet would be tricking him into a crime, then busting him for it.

>Tell Pulsar that Foxbat's been sending love letters to Morgan Fairchild and let the lunatics fight it out.

For that matter, set him up on a Date with Green Dragon's sister. Watch the fun ensue.

D

He already does ridiculous things, so consider making him do ridiculous things for your entertainment. Or you can just make them likely impossible. And if that fails, you go for the things that will absolutely get him arrested.

"I will marry you if, and only if, you achieve each of these trials I set before you! First, during the State of the Union address you must moon the country from the podium wearing a tutu and tube-top. Second, bring me a unicorn. Third, invade Stronghold and fetch me Dr. Destoryer's autograph. Have him sign it, 'Thank you for last night, Big D.'..."

What _wouldn't_ my characters do?

Gamma Girl wouldn't:

-betray the Legion of Superheroes (and YOU thought that "Novice Legionnaire" tag was just a joke)

-dishonor Lady Gray, her Batman-style mentor and guardian

-have any more casual 30th Century sex

-let Vandal Savage escape unpunished (I'd say she wouldn't let him escape alive, but he's immortal and he always comes back)

Hidden Dragon wouldn't:

-fail the Legion of Superheroes (yes, she's another Legion PC and transplanted 20th Century girl)

-dishonor the Willow Dragon (her father and master) or his teachings

-betray the two men she loves (Element Lad and Brainiac 5)

-ever believe that she's a hero

-forgive Gordon Sinclair (her abusive foster-father)

Originally posted by Blue

He already does ridiculous things, so consider making him do ridiculous things for your entertainment. Or you can just make them likely impossible. And if that fails, you go for the things that will absolutely get him arrested.

But that would mean I was actually encouraging Foxbat to endanger other people. She wouldn't do that...

... OK. The best capsule description of Helene (Starguard) that I can come up with is that if you put her in the same room with the manga version of Sailor Moon, people would point at Usagi and call her the mean one. When I RP Helene, my mission statement is "Try to make Kasumi Tendo look like Nabiki Tendo."

That's /why/ I'm the one on the team getting tortured with Foxbat -- I'm the only one who has to RP being nice enough to /not/ immediately drop the hammer on him. Everybody else on the team ranges from "Mind Control him to go bang his head on the wall until he passes out", "Punch him out and be done with it", on up to the relatively merciful "Teleport him into the middle of Central Booking... naked."

As for the ideas of sending Foxbat off on a crusade of some type -- no, no, no, aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeee it's the end times NO! Bad idea! Sending out Foxbat, who's /already/ disaster-prone just on a normal day? With a specific /mandate/ to cause chaos? What are you *THINKING*?

Heh. Although Miles Vorkosigan is much much MUCH smarter and less insane than Freddy, I am still irresistibly reminded of this scene from Lois Bujold's novel _A Civil Campaign_

"Hm." Illyan's lips twisted in sympathy with her expression. He traced a finger over the tabletop in a crosshatch pattern. "You know — speaking of ambassadors -- I began by thinking I ought to come to you and put in a good word for Miles in the romance department. I figured I owed it to him, for having put my foot down in the middle of things that way. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized I have truly no idea what kind of a husband he would make. I hardly dare recommend him to you. He was a terrible subordinate."

Her brows flew up in surprise. "I'd thought his ImpSec career was successful."

Illyan shrugged. "His ImpSec missions were consistently successful, frequently beyond my wildest dreams. Or nightmares. He seemed to regard any order worth obeying as worth exceeding. If I could have installed one control device on him, it would have been a rheostat. Power him down a turn or two... maybe I could have made him last longer." Illyan gazed thoughtfully out over the garden, but Ekaterin didn't think the garden was what he was seeing, in his mind's eye. "Do you know all those old folk tales where the count tries to get rid of his only daughter's unsuitable suitor by giving him three impossible tasks?"

"Yes..."

"Don't ever try that with Miles. Just... don't."

-- _A CIvil Campaign_, by Lois McMaster Bujold, chapter 13

Guest Champsguy

Phaeton would never date Foxbat. For one, he don't swing that way.

Kick puppies? Well... was the puppy asking for it?

Lie? Heh. Does a priest molest children?

Turn Iron Age? "Turn?" This is a speedster who uses his "Black Hole Punch" almost exclusively. Put the VPP into Hand Attack, and pound away. Actually, he doesn't really kill. He just punches you into sweet, sweet unconsciousness. Negative one hundred Stun is still just unconscious.

Steal? He's never had a reason.

Originally posted by misterdeath

You've never gotten married have you?

Not even the Craziest MF in the world will sit through trying to pick china patterns after picking the Invitations, the style and color of the bridesmaid's dresses, the venue, the menu, the number of bridesmaids, the seating chart for all the guests, all in a row.

And remember, we are talking about planning the weding, commiting to china and silver patterns, and picking out names (and colleges) for the future children, all on the first date.

Do you have any idea how commentment-phobic most men are?

Then you can get into a screaming fit of jelous rage and cause a public scene by claiming that things aren't over between him and Foxbatgirl.

Guest Champsguy

If you want to make a point about priests, please have some courtesy and take it to the Non-Gaming Board.

Also have the courtesy to not pretend to be deliberately obtuse.

I'll not limit myself in any such way. Kicking puppies and killing people are okay topics of discussion, but priests are off-limits? I think not. I have no more respect for them than for anybody else. If they want me to stop mocking them, maybe they should stop molesting kids.

-------

Back on topic, who's to say your character isn't interested in Foxbat? After all, she could fix him. Just because you'd be acting out of spite towards your GM doesn't mean your character would necessarily do so.

"Oh, but I could turn you from your evil ways! But first, we're going to have to get rid of that tacky costume you're wearing. I'll help you pick out a new one. And I want to see the "Foxbatcave", or whatever you call it. It'll definitely need a woman's touch. You're going to have to stand up straight when you appear in public, too. Slouching isn't appealing. Oh this is so wonderful!!! I can't wait to introduce you to all my girlfriends! You'll have to come with me to my tupperware parties. We hold them every Saturday afternoon. What's that? Football games? Oh no, you can't watch those anymore--they're at the same time as the tupperware parties, silly!"

Watch "How to lose a guy in 10 days" and pattern your behavior after that. Remember, your character isn't doing it on purpose (even though you are)--it's just that that's how she'd really react when she meets the man of her dreams.

Then, when he breaks up with you, you can tell the press about how he broke your heart, and what a jerk he is. That's when the 75 Str brick who's had a crush on your character for a long time shows up at his doorstep to teach him a lesson.

Originally posted by Champsguy

I'll not limit myself in any such way. Kicking puppies and killing people are okay topics of discussion, but priests are off-limits?

Champsguy, the difference is those are extreme examples of what your fictional character would hopefully draw a line on doing.

You're bringing up a subject that's unrelated to that, and probably would go better in the NGD forums. If you'd do so, it would be appreciated, though I don't pretend to have any influence over you than making a polite request myself.

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Champsguy

Back on topic, who's to say your character isn't interested in Foxbat? After all, she could fix him. Just because you'd be acting out of spite towards your GM doesn't mean your character would necessarily do so.

"Oh, but I could turn you from your evil ways! But first, we're going to have to get rid of that tacky costume you're wearing. I'll help you pick out a new one. And I want to see the "Foxbatcave", or whatever you call it. It'll definitely need a woman's touch. You're going to have to stand up straight when you appear in public, too. Slouching isn't appealing. Oh this is so wonderful!!! I can't wait to introduce you to all my girlfriends! You'll have to come with me to my tupperware parties. We hold them every Saturday afternoon. What's that? Football games? Oh no, you can't watch those anymore--they're at the same time as the tupperware parties, silly!"

Watch "How to lose a guy in 10 days" and pattern your behavior after that. Remember, your character isn't doing it on purpose (even though you are)--it's just that that's how she'd really react when she meets the man of her dreams.

Then, when he breaks up with you, you can tell the press about how he broke your heart, and what a jerk he is. That's when the 75 Str brick who's had a crush on your character for a long time shows up at his doorstep to teach him a lesson.

:eek:

:D

That is soooo funny. And Brilliant. :cool:

After all, Foxbat is going to be around anyway. Might as well have fun annoying him back.

Re: What WOULDN'T your character do?

What wouldn't Lin-Si, my Shampoo clone, do?

Originally posted by Hermit

Kick a puppy?

She might. She can be an asshole sometimes.

Date Foxbat?

I can see Foxbat chasing her Ranma 1/2 fashion, spouting Kunoesque babble. Pigtail girl, I would date with thee! Lin-Si wouldn't give him the time of day. Ooh, wait! As long as I'm doing Ranma 1/2, maybe Foxbat somehow defeated Lin-Si and now she insists on marrying him! That would be silly! ha ha

Go Iron (or Golden) age?

I originally created Lin-Si as an NPC to serve as my Magog (years before Kingdom Come) so it would be more accurate to say Iron Age goes Lin-Si.

Kill?

If she thought it was the ethical thing to do according to her warrior code.

Give a sidekick the keys to the base for the weekend?

Probably not. She was originally Stupid Mousse's sidekick and she was allowed to do any damn thing she wanted in the little free time she had from training. She knows what mischief sidekicks get into.

What Lin-Si wouldn't do is worship any god, spirit, fairy, or ancestor. For an explanation, consider the adventures of Heracles, The Magic Goes Away by Larry Niven, or the World of Darkness. Basically there's not enough holiness in the Universe to convince a cynical borderline thug like Lin-Si that a god can be trusted. She won't encourage one. Nice miracle, how many children did you have to eat to do that?

Another thing she wouldn't do is be pretentious. If she did for example deliberately kill someone, she wouldn't angst about it. Cyberpunks, vampires, and other immature assfaces that go out and happily commit all kinds of atrocities, then loudly feel sorry for themselves by way of feigning remorse only to repeat their crimes the next evening are the suck. Lin-Si is meant to be a barbarian hero who has no patience for that kind of hypocrisy.

Ace, my Sub-Marinerlike minibrick, would never take part in another war of conquest. He fought on the losing side in two World Wars out of patriotism. Now he feels his patriotism was more like blind stupidity. Support your country, but don't give your support blindly whether the country is right or wrong.

My characters...

Anthem (genetically engineered Super Soldier) would never lie (Has a Psych Lim Common, Total).

Brawl (street tough brick) would never miss one of his mama's home cooked meals.

Battlestar (alien gladiator EP) would never understand that Pro Wrestling is FAKE!