Hero Haters

nexus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by DigitalGolem

Doing 60mph, in an RV with a smaller-than-normal potty, on a very bad Mexican highway, with a driver who's blind in one eye.

Yes, this actually happened, but I managed to make the roll by using the Set and Brace combat modifiers.

:D

DGv3.0

You know, I was hoping to leave the whole "Going Potty under Extraordinary Circumstances" alone...

:P

Originally posted by Bengal

My wife gets so miffed that I want to charge her character points for such things as being a gourmet chef. She sometimes asks such things as, "How many points to know how to go to the bathroom?"

A more pertinent question would be "How many points NOT to know how to go to the bathroom?" because IMO that would (and should be) a disadvantage severe enough to be worth points. (Provided it wasn't easily correctible - incontinence should be a disadvantage because it's extremely inconvenient).

Personally, I'd point out to your wife that you can't compare knowing how to go to the toilet with being a gourmet chef, because you can assume that the average human being knows how to go to the toilet anyway, but the average human being is NOT a gourmet chef.

/serious take on silly topic.

Originally posted by PhilFleischmann

Archer, what are SCO and RIAA and why do they need to die?

SCO used to be Santa Cruz Operations. A Unix product on PCs that used to be allright. Then they sold out to a pack of lawyers in Utah, and since they weren't doing well in the OS buisness, decided that they could make more money suing because they figure they own everything Unix like.

That's the short biased answer. :D Do a google and you'll find lots.

Anyone want to mention RIAA? ;)

Originally posted by nexus

Yeah, I come here as a sancutary. but I wanted to know was I just being overly sensitve or something.

I checked out one of the threads and it seemed to bash Hero a bit. I'm not sure if overly sensitive is the word, but they don't seem to have their facts straight.

Originally posted by lemming

I checked out one of the threads and it seemed to bash Hero a bit. I'm not sure if overly sensitive is the word, but they don't seem to have their facts straight.

Whuuuuut? Someone on the internet without their facts straight? ;)

What? I take a 2 month hiatus and people are hating HERO? WHAT AM I GONNA DO?!?

Actually, I checked out one of the threads on rpg.net (not sure if it's the one previously mentioned) and didn't find any real HERO-bashing at all. Just some people who either don't want flexibility or feel they have to use every option presented to them. I posted a pleasent reply and went on my way...

Originally posted by Dust Raven

What? I take a 2 month hiatus and people are hating HERO? WHAT AM I GONNA DO?!?

Actually, I checked out one of the threads on rpg.net (not sure if it's the one previously mentioned) and didn't find any real HERO-bashing at all. Just some people who either don't want flexibility or feel they have to use every option presented to them. I posted a pleasent reply and went on my way...

I did look at some pretty old threads I must admit. It just seems like no one wants to give it a fair shake.

Originally posted by Dust Raven

That was me. ;) Hero has been "my game" on an off for about 17 years now so it's not like I have a problem with the system. Lately I'm feeling a little weird about 5E (with respect to earlier editions) and wondering if anyone else felt the same way, or if it was just me. I don't normally hang out on RPGnet but don't like to ask critical questions where the game designer hangs out, and felt that the opinions around here would tend to be pretty positive anyway.

Mike

Originally posted by Alcamtar

I don't normally hang out on RPGnet but don't like to ask critical questions where the game designer hangs out, and felt that the opinions around here would tend to be pretty positive anyway.

I don't know if the opinions here would be "pretty positive." You'd be hard-pressed to find a Hero gamer who does not have a handful of house rules to fix some perceived problem.

I'd also point out that Steve and Darren hang out at RPG.net too. :)

Your basic statement seems to be that perhaps Hero has become too complex due to everything seeming to have many Limitations or Advantages associated with it now. In some regard I can agree with that. 5th Edition has taken the complexity of the game to a new level (and by adding all that complexity taken away some of the spontaneity).

But one thing which DOJ is attempting to do is take all the work out of your hands so that you don't need to worry about the Limitations or Advantages yourself. They've sold powers books, and spell books, and monster books, and upcoming vehicle and gadget books. DOJ is trying to take the game to the place where you don't need to do all the extra work yourself; it's already done for you and waiting in a book. For $25.00 your work load is over. :)

Do I think the HERO System should be less complex? Yes, I do. There are so many criss-cross rules now that even I'm seriously starting to think about switching over to the Sidekick rules when the come out. I still prefer the HERO System to other rules systems and I appreciate the amount of product support there is, even if I'm not interested in it all.

Originally posted by Monolith

But one thing which DOJ is attempting to do is take all the work out of your hands so that you don't need to worry about the Limitations or Advantages yourself.

Unfortunately that is precisely what drives me away from a game system. To me it is no work to make stuff up and remember my own rulings, but it is a ton of work digesting and applying a set of external rules. Almost every game I have dropped, I dropped because it had become too unwieldy and tried to do too much.

I'm glad Hero is back and that DOJ is successful, but I'm starting to fear our paths have diverged and I'm just slow on the uptake. ;) I've gotten some good feedback, so I'm going to consider stepping back and ruthlessly stripping Hero5 down to its core, try and cram it into 50 pages or so, and just ignore FRED. Maybe I should sell off my genre books and bestiary and stuff... :confused:

DOJ is trying to take the game to the place where you don't need to do all the extra work yourself; it's already done for you and waiting in a book. For $25.00 your work load is over. :)

If I wanted it done for me, I wouldn't be playing Hero! ;)

Mike

Originally posted by Alcamtar

Unfortunately that is precisely what drives me away from a game system. To me it is no work to make stuff up and remember my own rulings, but it is a ton of work digesting and applying a set of external rules. Almost every game I have dropped, I dropped because it had become too unwieldy and tried to do too much.

I'm glad Hero is back and that DOJ is successful, but I'm starting to fear our paths have diverged and I'm just slow on the uptake. ;) I've gotten some good feedback, so I'm going to consider stepping back and ruthlessly stripping Hero5 down to its core, try and cram it into 50 pages or so, and just ignore FRED. Maybe I should sell off my genre books and bestiary and stuff... :confused:

I know what you're saying (I think). I've had several players walk away from the game rather than take the time to learn a complex system, and I've dropped more than a few campaigns because it was just too much to handle at the time. I'd switch to D&D or Rifts or something simple, then run that for a while until I get frustrated because the rules won't let me do (or allow, without massive reconstruction) what I or my players want. Which is about when we switch back to HERO.

About stripping HERO down to it's core. DOJ should be about done with Sidekick soon (if they aren't already). From what I understand, and expect, Sidekick is exactly what you're looking for from the HERO System.

If I wanted it done for me, I wouldn't be playing Hero! ;)

Mike

Amen! (can I quote you on that in my signature?)

Why do people hate HERO, I think people don't like success, look at the USA lots of people hate us, when was the last time someone mentioned hating Lithuania or Luxumborg.

People hate Paladium, D&D, HERO, GURPS etc, nobody has time to hate Jorune.

Originally posted by Realms of Chaos

Personally, I'd point out to your wife that you can't compare knowing how to go to the toilet with being a gourmet chef, because you can assume that the average human being knows how to go to the toilet anyway, but the average human being is NOT a gourmet chef.

/serious take on silly topic.

You could also go way out there and make her take a positive rep for her cooking skills, when I was dating my wife I can't count how many guys I knew told me to hang on to her when they found out she could cook. Wasn't a big deal for me since I'm a better cook (but she is a much better baker) but for guys who can't boil water good cooking will trump just about everything else. Now for the bathroom skills not only should you get points back but I think a rep is appropriate for that as well but you don't pay for that kind (eeeewwwww).

Originally posted by Monolith

Your basic statement seems to be that perhaps Hero has become too complex due to everything seeming to have many Limitations or Advantages associated with it now. In some regard I can agree with that. 5th Edition has taken the complexity of the game to a new level (and by adding all that complexity taken away some of the spontaneity).

Do I think the HERO System should be less complex? Yes, I do. There are so many criss-cross rules now that even I'm seriously starting to think about switching over to the Sidekick rules when the come out. I still prefer the HERO System to other rules systems and I appreciate the amount of product support there is, even if I'm not interested in it all.

I don't understand this. How exactly is 5th edition "a new level" of complexity compared to 4th? It seems to me that many areas were made simpler: Eliminating 2 powers (Regeneration, Instant Change), Shape Shift now uses the same mechanic as Sense-affecting powers, Enhanced senses are all built using a unified set of rules, Talents are built on the other existing rules, ID Disads work like other disads as "Social Limitation," etc. Whether or not you think any of these things were good ideas, they do simplify the system.

What are the areas of complexity that were added? Megascale, Age 10-, distinguishing between targeting and non-targeting for Sense-Affecting powers. That's all I can think of off hand. Sure other changes were made that you might like or not, such as Flash per Segment instead of per Phase, but you can't say that makes it more complex.

The whole concept of piling on Advantages and Limitations has been around since first edition. New powers and mods were added because there were effects that were otherwise impossible to purchase (or impossible to purchase with a balanced cost). The game has really only gotten slightly more complex since 1st.

And remember, this is a Role Playing Game - they're always going to be complex. You can't simulate complex phenomena without some complexity in the rules.