Alternating Normal/Lethal Damage

Metaphysician

The types of damage aren't advantages or limitations. Tyey are separate powers.

What you need is a Multipower. ONe slot does normal damage (say an EB), the other a killing attack.

A multipower with a 12d6 Energy Blast slot and a 4dy RKA slot, both ultras, will cost 72 points.

This represents a singlke power which can be set to Stun or Kill, as the owner wishes.

Originally posted by Metaphysician

That answers the first question, but not the second. After all, the same arguments re: efficiency would apply to Variable Advantage, as well.

You still multipower it with variable advantage on the slots then. The crux is that they are seperate powers.

You could have a very limited VPP as well.

Now since there are ways of converting a normal blast into an ego blast, I suppose I could be talked into a +1/4 for the advantage of doing killing damage.

I still don't see the point though.

Originally posted by lemming

Now since there are ways of converting a normal blast into an ego blast, I suppose I could be talked into a +1/4 for the advantage of doing killing damage.

I still don't see the point though.

As an Advantage Killing would need to be a +2, or you'd have 9½d6 Killing attacks for 59 AP. :eek:

(5 X 9.5 = 47.5; 47 X 1.25 = 59 AP)

Originally posted by Trebuchet

As an Advantage Killing would need to be a +2, or you'd have 9½d6 Killing attacks for 59 AP. :eek:

(5 X 9.5 = 47.5; 47 X 1.25 = 59 AP)

Nope. I would convert the DC's so if you had a 12d6 EB, convert to KA for 75AP, you'd have a 4d6 KA.

I'm still just converting 1 DC to 1 DC.

ps. with your example that would be a 3 1/2d6 KA

Re: Alternating Normal/Lethal Damage

Lets say you want to build a single power that can inflict either Normal or Killing damage DCs, selected on usage. How big of an advantage would this be, +1/4 or +1/2??

Likewise, for a power with Variable Advantage on it, how much VA would need to be spent to convert the damage between normal and killing??

I think your first question has been answered already?

I'm not sure I understand the second. What is it that you are trying to do exactly?

Take a character with a 12d6 EB +1 VA, and use part of the VA to convert it to killing DCs.

I think someone already coveredthis above, but there is no such advantage. You'd need a Multipower with a KA - VA and an EB - VA. The variabvle advantage allows you to change the advantages on a single power. EB and KA are different powers.

They look more similar than, say, Flash and Entangle, but the logic is the same. You can't use VA to mix and match between different powers, including Entangle, Flash, EB, KA, Adjustment powers, etc.

I think Hugh's pretty much said it.

I don't know what SFX your power has, but it sounds like it would be something like:

180 Power: Multipower 180 point reserve

u18 Leathal Attack: RKA 4d6, Variable Advantage +1 (+2)

u18 Non-Leathal Attack: EB 12d6, Variable Advantage +1 (+2)

216 Total Cost

Of course, if you don't like Frameworks and would really like an Advantage to allow you to choose, I'd set the value at +1/4.

Then again, you can always buy it as an RKA and use the Club Weapon maneuver described on FREd page 260. Again, I don't know the SFX so it's up to you to figure out what can and can't work for this power.