Campaign Assistance Needed

Super Squirrel

I'm starting up a new campaign and I have already run into two road blocks for getting it started.

The campaign is a world where genetic mutations have been happening for some time (the first was a Japanese fisherman in 1952) until at about today's date, an estimated 1 in 1 every million people is a mutant of some kind. In truth, the number is closer to 1:50,000 but the catalyst event has not happened yet.

The game starts out in a generic city where the city board with cooperation of the state government and a couple of high power corporations is starting an experimental law enforcement body with mutants. The theory is that a group of mutants can enforce laws and deal with crime better than standard law enforcement. So they are implimenting this test program in a district within the city to see its effectiveness.

Problem 1:

I can't think of a name for the program. I thought of a couple of acronyms but nothing is standing out that I like.

Problem 2:

One of my players is playing a mutant who doesn't know she is one yet. How do I get her into the game without her knowing she is a mutant? Or should I tell her to create a new character who knows she is a mutant?

1) Maybe something about being the next stage of law enforcement. A snappy name like "Genesis Squad", or simply "Evolution". Though an argument can be made for a good acronym (The government LOVES their acronyms).

2)That's a Good suggestion about giving her a secondary purpose in the group to start out with. If mutancy is "detectable" you could have a Professor-X type mentor call on her to come work with him. Any characters on the team who are "psychic"? It's a fun little GM device that he/she could have visions of this girl's powers coming about and therefore they approach her or keep her under surveillance. Or you could have the vilain find out about the character's potential first, and in that way the other heroes are drawn in by virtue of he villain's activity.

Re: Campaign Assistance Needed

Originally posted by Super Squirrel

Problem 1:

I can't think of a name for the program. I thought of a couple of acronyms but nothing is standing out that I like.

How about P.L.O.T. (Paranormal Law-enforcement Officer Team)?

Problem 2:

One of my players is playing a mutant who doesn't know she is one yet. How do I get her into the game without her knowing she is a mutant? Or should I tell her to create a new character who knows she is a mutant?

She could work for the police or the city or whatever (whoever will oversee this new agency) and she gets recruited into the new team when her powers manifest.

After playing with letters and words, I think I like the idea of ACT but I don't know what the A could stand for. The rest of it is Criminal Team.

The idea is spin-off branches if it succeeds. So a special ops version of ACT could be Ghost-ACT

Argh, now I don't even like ACT. I stink at this. :D

EXTRA: Enhanced Xenogenic Threat Response Agency

BADGE:Bureau of Alternative Defenders, Genetically Enhanced

and my all time favorite...

SPARTACUS: Super Powered Agents Responding To Alleviate Crime in the United States

(it took me days to reverse engineer that last acronym...)