Tracking the Teleporter

MarkusDark

Having played in games where the villians always teleports away to safety, I wanted to develop a tracking ability with my own teleportation.

I was thinking about Detect Teleportation, Tracking Sense, 360 perception, Mega Scale. Would that work? Would I need to buy "No range modifier" so I could see them that far away?

Guest Kolava

I've always wanted this ability too. Too many GMs use it as a crutch anyway :cool:

As for how to build it, I'm not sure. Probably "detect teleport" is too much, since your character will notice every teleportation to happen anywhere in the area.

How about a non-megascale "teleport sense", with a heavy emphasis on "analyze"? A GM might allow a character to track a teleporter then, with a successful roll.

I suppose so. I just got tired of every villian - even the 'crunchies' teleporting away before we could apprehend them. I have played in the game going on 3 months now (once a week and at least one fight + per session) and we have actually turned over 1 bad guy to the authorities.

Guess it is more of a GM issue. Of course, in my campaigns, I allow them to catch those that I don't want caught if they are clever enough for it. Just means I have to be quicker on my feet for the rest of the session...

The GM is being very unfair.In the comics,most villains don't teleport away.In the case of mass teleports,generally only one villain (usually the team leader) teleports the entire group away.

And it should be possible to trace a teleport. I'd use Mind Scan with the following limitation :Must make EGO +20 Roll (-1 Value?). I'd also require the Trigger Advantage,set to only go off if somebody nearby teleports away.

I've always handled this as an SFX issue. You can buy a Detect to trace a specific think, in some cases it might apply to Teleport.

Example: There are aliens in my campaign that use phase technology to create a wormwhole used for instand transportation. This is bought as Teleportation. They also have the technology to track wormwhole jumps. This is bought as detect phase signatures, ranged, analyse. A "phase signature" is the radiation left over from the use of phase technology. With the analyse adder, it can be used to learn the location of the other end of a wormwhole.

Of course, when these aliens confront Tachyon and he teleports away, the'll be left scratching their heads wondering where he went (until they have some time to analyse his powers and adapt their sensors to trace his own, unique signature, and spend the experience points on the new detect).

Failing that, if just wanted the villains not to get away through teleporting, just by a really large Suppress Teleport machine and turn it on when combat starts.

T'port

I do think teleport is over used a bit by GM's. It is a very easy and nearly foolproof way to get away from the supers and is often used in comics as a means by which the bad guys get the last laugh even when theyr have been beaten.

As GM I would allow a track teleport depending on how teleport is done. If it's magic then a mage could certainly figure a way to track it, and a technogeek may not. Vice versa if it's a technological teleport then the techno-Geek may be able to track it and not the mage.

Even if a bad guy is "supposed" to get away I like to give the heroes a slim chance. Game before last my T-porting bad guy had a 5 second delay between ports. Enough time where he almost got caught...

Originally posted by MarkusDark

Guess it is more of a GM issue.

Sounds it. Though in comics, the villians can get away by just going around a corner. In Champions, they better have faster movement, etc... to ever get away because the players won't let it go.

I think the GM needs more villians so that having some in jail won't be that much of an impact. :)

I'd have thought that you are essentially looking at some kind of clairsentience - only someone who has just teleported within your vicinity and perhaps within the range of your own teleport ability.

That would provide some sense of following someone through a teleport 'wormhole' and being able to follow them - you can now 'see' the location.

You might also think about trying to stop people leaving by nullifying their teleport with your own - perhaps the GM would allow a grapple style using teleport active points instead of STR active points.

It could be interesting to build a Detect (appropriate) Teleport with the "Tracking" modifier; the characters would be able to follow the residual energy/mystic traces that their enemy left in the wake of his passage. Instead of just knowing where he went, the heroes would have to take the time to follow his trail back to his lair. Perhaps the villain would have already left by the time they arrive, but his lair contains clues to his destination and/or future plans. Perhaps the heroes can prepare a plan to sneak into the villain's base and catch him while he's relaxing, thinking he got away clean. Or perhaps the villain anticipates that the heroes will trail him, and has prepared a reception for them...

There were rules in Champs II or III for fighting a Teleport with your own. i think it was simply inches to inches in cancelled movement...I only have a vague memory of it.

My current model would be inches to inches, with noncombat porting allowing for use of NCM multiples. I don't think I'd allow a normal T-Port to override a Megascaled one, but it could interfere with the arrival point in an undertimined fashion.

Detect Spatial Anamoly, Sense, Disc, Analyze,Tracking would probably allow for tracing most teleports. It would also detect certain EC and power contructs, active stargates, and open portals to other planes...

Some Transdimensional senses would track Nightcrawler/Magik style teleporters.

Speedster Teleports would require a different SFX detection.

Telepathy lets you try to get the mechanism / arrival point out of the villains heads, Mind Scan to lock on and then search for them after the port.

Detect "appropriate teleportational SFX energy trace" is always a valid construct.

But Detect Teleport is not allowed in my world. Nor would Detect Ego Attack, Detect Desolidification or Detect Stretching to name a few examples. The detect needs to be SFX based.