Second Sight (or whatever you want to call it)

Angaros

Watching Frighteners got me thinking of this ability that Michael J. Fox's character has: being able to see the dead. How would you describe it in game terms? Would you do some form of Enhanced Senses or some heavily limited and modified form of Clairsentience? The effect I'm looking for is being able to see and hear dead people, like Fox does or the kid in Sixth Sense...

I'd say this would be the Unusual Enhanced Sense, "Detect: Spirits Of The Dead." If you make it part of the Sight Sense Group (which seems logical in this case), the Detect would have Sense, Discriminatory and Targetting for free, which should cover everything you'll need for Second Sight. A similar Detect for the Hearing Sense Group would let you hear the "sounds" that the spirits make.

I'm sure someone else will be along with other ideas, though. :)

Actualy I would buy it as two seperate powers both built neerly identical

5 :See Dead; Detect Dead , Sense +2 sight group

5 :Hear Dead; Detect Dead , Sense +2

So 10 points in total.

Then i give him a serious hunted he would not like as a character but would love as a player.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Well....

I have a player character BASED around this kind of ability. :)

25 See Ghosts: Detect Ghosts 13 or less, Sense, Targeting, Discriminatory (Mental Sense Group)

Since Ghosts are Invisible and Inaudible (in general), only one sense is really needed, as it's 'simulated' sight/hearing.

Thanks for all the input! I believe a part of the solution lies in defining what you want ghosts to "be" in your setting. They could consist of some sort of paranormal energy occupying our own plane of existance or be entities living in a "realm of the dead" somehow partially co-existing with our own plane. If the latter is chosen, the question of how (or even if) ghosts affect people in the mundane plane. Using the "other plane" version, I'd probably use the +10 Clairsentience adder for other dimensions to both normal sight and hearing (for a total of 20 points). This option has the advantage of actually being sight with an advantage rather than a detection ability working similarly (or even identically to) sight. If the first option is chosen (paranormal energy in our plane), the Detect version would probably be preferred.

I guess I'm over-theorizing considering the power was for a test character I built to understand the system and for a setting not even existing, but it was a fun exercize. :) Again, thanks for the input.

(@L. Marcus: Jo det är alltid trevligt med svennar på ställen man frekventerar. :))

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

I choose to assume that was complimentary. ;)

Oh yes, by all means, do that! If you want to say something nasty about someone, at least make sure that they understand it! :D

By the way, Angaros, apparently the FAQ (I think) has some suggestions for the Dimension Adders and regular Senses. I think it was +5 for just one Sense and +10 for a Sense Group. This is how I nowadays deal with a parallell world in my Fantasy HERO game.

Hrmmm, this could be used for the second sight that The Inbued have in Hunter: The Reckoning too....uh... sorta. I always assumed it would be a Mind Scan of some kind, as the more powerful the creature, the better it could hide from mortals that might see it. The sight would sorta be a special effect of the MS.

But this is alot cheaper, more to the point, and less of a hassle. ;)

-=Grim=-

Originally posted by Ndreare

...5 :See Dead; Detect Dead , Sense +2 sight group

5 :Hear Dead; Detect Dead , Sense +2

Wouldn't this only allow detection at no range (adjacent hex) and without being able to sense any detail? In other words, you would only detect a spirit when it was right next to you, and then you would only "see" an amorphous shape and "hear" unintelligible sounds. You wouldn't be able to tell if this was the same spirit that you detected a minute ago, whether it was male or female (in life), whether it was even human (in life), or what it was saying (if anything).

This is actually where the expanded senses rules mystify me a bit. If I buy a five point detect and declare it as part of my sight group, does that mean that the other features of normal sight (as sense, range, discriminatory, targetting, etc.) get tacked on for free? I suppose that would seem fair since you also lose that sense when flashed for normal sight, the most common flash attack there is.

Originally posted by Supreme

Wouldn't this only allow detection at no range (adjacent hex) and without being able to sense any detail? In other words, you would only detect a spirit when it was right next to you, and then you would only "see" an amorphous shape and "hear" unintelligible sounds. You wouldn't be able to tell if this was the same spirit that you detected a minute ago, whether it was male or female (in life), whether it was even human (in life), or what it was saying (if anything).

This is actually where the expanded senses rules mystify me a bit. If I buy a five point detect and declare it as part of my sight group, does that mean that the other features of normal sight (as sense, range, discriminatory, targetting, etc.) get tacked on for free? I suppose that would seem fair since you also lose that sense when flashed for normal sight, the most common flash attack there is.

Yes you would get all those fringe thrown in for free

Good to know. Thanks, guys. Of course that begs a MUCH larger question (that's probably already been debated). What if I defined a sense as sight (SFX-wise), but paid for all those "fringe benefits?" Would I be able to keep that sense if I were flashed for normal sight. For instance, if I bought Detect: Magic and defined the special effect as something that my character senses through his eyes, then paid for all the other effects normally associated with sight. Then someone did a normal sight flash on me. Would I still retain my "magic sight" which would allow me to "see" things like characters and objects with magical effects (with non-magical things appearing as black)?