Team Knight Rider

I'm considering a campaign based on the TV show Knight Rider / Team Knight Rider. Has anyone tried this? I possess neither the Vehicle Sourcebook or Ultimate Vehicle, which would be better for the game?

I'm considering a 200 point base for both human and vehicular PCs, with the vehicles not using the 1 per 5 discount. Any comments or suggestions?

Christougher

Between the two, I'd definitely choose TUV. There are several "bits" in there that I intentionally included with TKR as the specific inspiration, including some of the optional Characteristics (INT and EGO) for Vehicles.

HSVS is little more than just a series of write-ups of (mostly) modern day vehicles. While undoubtedly useful, I don't think it'd be quite as helpful for your particular game.

Beyond that, my main piece of advice would be to have the players pair off so one's playing the human half of a team and the other plays the vehicle half.

How many points are you going to allow for disadvantages? It seems that the Michael characters will be very powerful and in the tv series, he was just a normal guy without any "real" martial arts and he didn't even carry a gun most of the time. He had some skills, but he relied on KIT to do most of his thinking and butt saving. KIT seems like it would be pretty expensive but I would have to sit down and take a look. Didn't he have a lot of gadgets that he used in one or two episodes?

You could always write up the vehicles as the player character and buy the drivers as followers :).

As stated above, TUV would be your best choice for this type of campaign. The optional rules for vehicle characteristics (mentioned above) scream out to this type of campaign.

Disads? Oh, I should have said 100+100. The humans can have minor superpowers and will have to pay for their equipement (other than the vehicles who are other PCs). This is in a world where supers are known, the PC team will work on things that are usually beneath the notice of full fledged superheroes.

I haven't done much vehicle building, is 200 total points enough to build a competent vehicle?

Originally posted by Christougher

I haven't done much vehicle building, is 200 total points enough to build a competent vehicle?

That's kinda like asking if 200 points is enough to build a competent vampire, or a competent gunslinger. It really depends.

As long as you're building standard, wheeled ground vehicles 200 should be enough to simulate the abilities of souped cars and trucks. You probably won't have much in the way of onboard weapons, though.

Originally posted by Christougher

The Supercar in TUV is 350 points and the Superjet is 323 -- and I presume (since they're actually Steve's creation) that they're intended to work in a world of 350 point superheroes. So if the human PCs work on 200 points, the vehicle PCs should also.

Originally posted by Vex

How many points are you going to allow for disadvantages? It seems that the Michael characters will be very powerful and in the tv series, he was just a normal guy without any "real" martial arts and he didn't even carry a gun most of the time. He had some skills, but he relied on KIT to do most of his thinking and butt saving. KIT seems like it would be pretty expensive but I would have to sit down and take a look. Didn't he have a lot of gadgets that he used in one or two episodes?

I'd give Michael Knight some KS, some PS, Deduction, Oratory, Persuasion and Systems Operations to name a few. He does have 'real' martial arts and specifically mentions it in an episode having a black belt in some martial art. I forgot which.

Originally posted by Tech

I'd give Michael Knight some KS, some PS, Deduction, Oratory, Persuasion and Systems Operations to name a few. He does have 'real' martial arts and specifically mentions it in an episode having a black belt in some martial art. I forgot which.

And as batman has deduction he has seduction...my god that man got some booty for no explanation what so ever

Guest Kolava
Originally posted by JmOz

And as batman has deduction he has seduction...my god that man got some booty for no explanation what so ever

Chicks love the guy with the good vehicle :cool:

Originally posted by JmOz

And he sings, too. You know that nothing else matters if you're a musician :D. It's actually a shame they didn't make use of that talent on the show. Worked for Scott Bakula.

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

I cant stop that feeling....

Uh....

Anyway, clue me in, what the heck is Team Knight Rider? I dont watch much TV, and have never heard of this before....

Basically, it's Knight Rider (you know, that show from the 80's staring David Hasslehoff and a black t-bird voiced by William Daniels), only there are more people and more talking vehicles. Afterall, when a gimmick wears thin, just apply more of it!