How would you write up the following power?

I am trying to write up, in HERO terms, the ability to make potions the same way they are made in the T.V. series Charmed. Since the potions always (well 99.9% of the time) work I am trying to work this as a power rather than a skill but I am not sure what the best way to do this is.

What I have come up with so far is this:

Transformation (Living demon into Vanquished demon)

1 Charge, Fragile, OAF, Gestures (must be thrown), extra time 1 hour (the time to brew), requires obscure ingredients, AOE 1 hex (the potions are usually thrown at the ground near the demon rather than directly on them), reduced range (equal to the users throwing range)

How many dice should I make this since it almost always works?

Would this work better as a Dispel?

What kind of limitation would you apply to "requires obscure ingredients"?

What kind of limitation would you apply to "reduced range (equal to the users throwing range)"

Are there other advantages or limitations you would apply?

Any other comments?

I second (and third) these suggestions. I'm not familiar with the show, but the Transformation construct is unwieldy and ineffective. Think about what this power is actually doing: killing or banishing the demon. I doubt it's transforming it into a demon that puts up a hand and says, "Alright, alright... you win."

Ok I like the idea of: Extra Dimensional Movement to dimension of demon death , Usable Against Others, Range based on str, OAF Fragile.

Would I also need to add a linked DRAIN vs. Extra Dimensional Movement, return rate lowered to 5pts. an eon, to simulate the fact that the demons are dead and thus unable to use their own Extra Dimensional Movement to leave the dimension?

If the potion grenade is actually killing it, why not just go with the RKA...?

Because as JmOz pointed out it is possible (although only one has done it) that a demon can escape from the wasteland. Also the magic only effects the demon and is bought with a 1 hex AOE, so to avoid damage to the surroundings (which isn't supposed to happen) I decided against the RKA.

I too would use an RKA. (Cole was a VERY special case)

(It was explained that his ability to Love made him un-demon-like enough to come back.)

4D6 RKA

Only works against specific demon type. (These girls had to learn new recipes EVERY week!!) (-2)

NND (Not being that type of Demon.) (+1)

The Area effect Hex is right. (+1/2)

Throwing is what?? -1/4??

***The Power of Three***

Re: How would you write up the following power?

How many dice should I make this since it almost always works?

Would this work better as a Dispel?

This what depend on exactly what the demons were like in game terms. There should be enough dice of damage or other effect that a standard effect/average roll would kill the monster. If demons are done as a summon than dispel would work.

What kind of limitation would you apply to "requires obscure ingredients"?

What kind of limitation would you apply to "reduced range (equal to the users throwing range)"

A spell/potion/whatever that uses obscure ingredients is an expendable focus. You can look that up somewhere in the focus rules. The value of the limitation would be based on how hard the ingredients are to get.

The throwing range thing is -1/4 and it's called "Range based on STR". It's listed in the Range limitations somewhere.

I want to rethink the DC level of the RKA.

You see, Charmed Demons have a tendency to explode if you simply stab them in the right place.

So I would reduce the RKA to 2d6 (and lower the average Demon's Body to 5).

Then when the Demon reaches -5 they blow up.

Or a Demon Physical Disad: "Blows up when 10 Body is taken"

I would go one step further than Osprey. Since it always works, I'd make all Demons take

Physical Disadvantage: Banished if hit by banishment potion.

It does the job, and removes the worry of bad roles preventing the always works part from happening. I suspect a lot of other such things should be handled like this as well. It just takes some real advance thought on the part of the GM.

I would go one step further than Osprey. Since it always works, I'd make all Demons take

Physical Limitation: Banished if hit by banishment potion.

It does the job, and removes the worry of bad roles preventing the always works part from happening.

Sbarron

Excellent suggestion for the physical limitation. However, how would you write up the "Create banishment Potion" power?

You could use the standard effect rule: don't roll and it's 3 damage per die of RKA. That would also eliminate the problem of bad rolls.

If you wanted to go with a disadvantage, you could also consider giving the demons a vulnerability to demon banishment potions or a vulnerability to whatever special effect the demon banishment potions have. With the Banished by Potion physical limitation, I would just build the potion normally, as an atttack of some sort that could kill the demon in 1 hit. That would accurately simulate the point value of how much an attack like that would be worth.

And also there is a special recipe for each type of (and sometimes specific) demon. Probably need to compound the Focus limitation to incorporate the Book of Shadows into the mix. Sometimes, they do get the reagent list from another source. But it's usually... "I'll check the Book of Shadows for a vanquishing potion." Maybe that could be a required Incantation. :)

And also there is a special recipe for each type of (and sometimes specific) demon. Probably need to compound the Focus limitation to incorporate the Book of Shadows into the mix. Sometimes' date=' they do get the reagent list from another source. But it's usually... "I'll check the Book of Shadows for a vanquishing potion." Maybe that could be a required Incantation. :)[/quote']

Glad you all like my Idea :D:eek:

Maybe the Demoan Disadvantages should read specifically, like:

"Banished by standard Anti-demon potion"

"Banished by potion containing wolfsbane"

"Banished by potion containing Newt"

etc

The potion could just be a special effect if you like.

Excellent suggestion for the physical limitation. However' date=' how would you write up the "Create banishment Potion" power?[/quote']

I'd make it a talent. If you can identify the demon - lots of requirements for skills etc - then you can make the potion. The talent allows you to make potions but it doesn't give the ability to automatically make the right potion unless you have the right information.

Doc

Thanks for all the suggestions. I believe I will go with the physical limitaton for the demons and simply assign a point cost to the banishment potion.

On that topic I am looking at working the following powers into a Multipower for he witches since they are the three powers they all share: Vanquishing Potion, Vanquishing Spell and Scrying. I believe that all three powers are (after limitations are added) about 20 points. Does that sound reasonable?

I would go with a physical lim on the demon, "banished when..."

the potion would just be an FX of a good "spellcraft skill check".

For example, if i make my mechanics skill check and hotwire a car, i did not have to buy "transform car into running car" and worry about the body of the car. Nor do i have to buy "transform door into open door" or "teleport "only to pass thru doors i have unlocked".and so forth.

The BOS is a huge bonus to your spellcraft skill

On that topic I am looking at working the following powers into a Multipower for he witches since they are the three powers they all share: Vanquishing Potion, Vanquishing Spell and Scrying. I believe that all three powers are (after limitations are added) about 20 points. Does that sound reasonable?

I think there are some other things they can all do as well. Couldn't they Astral Project at one time? I haven't seen them do it in a long time, though. Or was that just Prue?

They can also write and cast spells for day to day stuff, too. That would probably have to be VPPs for each of them.

I also like the cool traps they set with the crystals. Entangle? With Damage Shield?

Vanquishing is probably an RKA and Scrying is probably Clairsentience. I haven't watched the show so I'm not sure about the details' date=' or totally sure if that would be correct at all.[/quote']

Basically all they do is blow up/disintegrate the demons with the banishing potions, so they'd be huge RKAs with foci (requires some part of the demon usually and the brew they put it in), long prep times, etc. Scrying is probably a big Detect Location of Target, since all they get is the location on a map.

I think there are some other things they can all do as well. Couldn't they Astral Project at one time? I haven't seen them do it in a long time, though. Or was that just Prue?

It was Just Pru.

I also like the cool traps they set with the crystals. Entangle? With Damage Shield?

I figure Force Wall with Backlash.