Immortality

largosama

Hey guys, I'm new to Champions but I've selected this system to run a supers campaign coming up in a few months. One of my players expressed interest in having a guy who is immortal (does not age and heals things very quickly) and has a huge amount of skills based on general life experience (he's been around for hundreds of years). How would I go about creating these powers (mainly the immortal power). This is for a 350 point game.

-Kevin

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Immortality

Hey guys, I'm new to Champions but I've selected this system to run a supers campaign coming up in a few months. One of my players expressed interest in having a guy who is immortal (does not age and heals things very quickly) and has a huge amount of skills based on general life experience (he's been around for hundreds of years). How would I go about creating these powers (mainly the immortal power). This is for a 350 point game.

The immortality power is two separate powers. The first is pretty simple:

Immortality I: Life Support (Longevity: Immortality)(5 Active Points). End Cost: 0. Real Cost: 5 Points

That keeps him from growing old.

The second power is a bit more complicated.

Immortality II: Healing (Regeneration; 3 Body/Turn) - Reduced Endurance Cost (0 Endurance; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2)(60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn; -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2). End Cost: 0. Real Cost 22 Points.

That will let him heal quickly.

Now, you did not mention his wanting to regrow limbs or come back to life if he's killed. Those would add to the cost of the healing. Also, if he's supposed to be resistant to poisons and diseases, that's more points.

How would I go about creating these powers (mainly the immortal power). This is for a 350 point game.

Immunity to aging is actually quite cheap in Hero. Look at Life Support, and immunity to aging is a whopping 5 points. Add in some regeneration with 'regenerate from death', and you're looking at another 40 points or so (I don't have exact numbers, my books are at home).

All of this leaves you around 300 points to buy characteristics, skills, and the many ancient fighting styles he's learned over the years.

Another thing beyond Overall SLs are Skill Enhancers. These allow for a discount of a large number of particular skills - Knowledge Skills, Languages, Area Knowledges, Science Skills and Proffesions. If he's buying more than three in any one of those categories he will start to get point savings which allow him to buy more skills!

Another Immortal Construct I use is:

Life Support: Immortal, Immunity: All Diseases and All Poisons: 25pts

this explains how he might have avoided plagues and other epidemics as well as lived to be 300 or more years old.

The thing that I wound up doing with my character using this concept was, as has been suggested, lots of skill levels and skill enhancers

PLUS

a small Multipower of powers that simulated skills (i.e. Clinging to represent enhanced Climbing, various attack and defense powers to represent Martial Arts, Shapeshift to represent Disguise, Invisibility to model Stealth, etc.). The idea here was that for many skills, he had been practicing so long and gotten so good that he was operating beyond the realm of normal human capacity.

Other possibilities include using various Talents (such as Cramming, Luck, Danger Sense, etc.) with the justification "It's not Luck (or enhanced senses), it's skill."

He should also consider leaving some points unspent after character creation to allow the character to pick up skills he'll need during the course of play (especially if you, as the GM, will allow him to spend those points during a play session, on the justification that "He's known this skill all along, but it hasn't come up before now.") This way, he doesn't have to agonize over whether to buy KS: Ancient History or KS: Modern Literature while he's creating the character, he can just pick them up as he goes along, in whatever order he needs them. As long has he keeps a few unspent points around, he'll never be left hanging. Of course, this requires careful GM observation and control, or he'll simply overshadow all the other members in the party. You may want to impose some sort of limit on how often he can do this little trick.

Re: ImmortalityHeres a boilerplate Immortal. Just drop in 50 odd points of skills and you are good:

Combat Information Page

Character Name:

Alternate Identities:

Player Name:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4713&stc=1
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
20 STR 10 10 20 13- HTH Damage 4d6 END [2]
20 DEX 10 30 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7
20 CON 10 20 20 13-
20 BODY 10 20 20 13-
20 INT 10 10 20 13- PER Roll 13-
20 EGO 10 20 20 13- ECV: 7
20 PRE 10 10 20 13- PRE Attack: 4d6
20 COM 10 5 20 13-

4 PD 4 0 4   4 PD (4 rPD)
4 ED 4 0 4   4 ED (4 rED)
4 SPD 3.0 10 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
8 REC 8 0 8  
40 END 40 0 40  
40 STUN 40 0 40    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
4"/2"" Leaping 4 0 4" 135 Total Characteristics Points
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 0
Spent: 94
Unspent: 0
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 0
Total Points: 294
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (4") 4"
V. Leap (2") 2"
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brown
Eye Color:  Brown
Height:  6' 7"
Weight:  220 lbs
Description:

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 4 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 4  
Energy Defense 4 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 4  
Mental Defense 9 Current STUN:
Power Defense 5  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 7 DCV: 7

Combat Skill Levels: +3 Overall
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
Immortal Body
1) Life Support (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents; Longevity Immortal)
2) Rapid Healing: Healing (Regeneration) 5 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Resurrection, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (150 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
3) Damage Resistance (4 PD/4 ED)
4) Power Defense (5 points)
5) Mental Defense (9 points total)
6) Hearing Group Flash Defense (5 points)
7) Sight Group Flash Defense (5 points)
103 Total Powers Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
3 Predates SSNs: Anonymity
5 Money: Well Off
3 Well-Connected
11 Total Perks Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
30 +3 Overall
3 Jack of All Trades
3 Linguist
3 Scholar
3 Scientist
3 Traveler
45 Total Skills Cost

Height: 6' 7" Hair: Brown
Weight: 220 lbs Eyes: Brown
Appearance: 
Personality: 
Quote:
Background: 
Powers/Tactics: 
Campaign Use: 
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.30 - interim build)

I like the basis Killer Shrike' date=' but I don't necessarily understand or agree with the Flash (sight and hearing) defenses. [/quote']

Flash Def: He heals so fast, his eyes and ears recover from being flashed quicker. Same thing w/ Damage Resistance -- he heals minor scratches or injury instantly. Its a simple way to reflect aspects of rapid healing.

Is this supposed to be an Elemental Control?

No, its just a list.

I also wouldn't allow the 154 AP power.

{shrugs} Ok, well and good for your games, but I would allow it mine.

For starters I dont think 5 Body Regen from Death Regrow Lost Limbs will break my game, particularly on a character that is mostly skills in a genre that almost never sees a character actually killed and Hit Locations are not used so limbs are not normally targeted or impaired anyway. A good chunk of the power is pure flavor.

Also, the Active Points on Regen is artificially high because of the hacked 5e way to build Regen w/ Healing. Under 4e that same power would be 80 Active Points if memory serves (50 for 5 BODY Regen, +20 for Resurrect, +10 for Lost Limbs), and thats about all its really worth IMO.

And finally, I dont use Active Point Caps for standard Supers in any event.

Shrike's build is pretty clean, though my GM limits us to max 3 Regen normally... that part is easy to shift up or down depending on the campaign anyway. And most of the time Ressurection and Heal Limbs is flavor power. I occasionally add it for the cool factor as we also do not use hit locations unless the shot it called and characters rarely die or lose limbs.

The only thing I would do is vary his stats a little .. all up at 20 is cool and all, but not to my taste.

Here's a series of things I did up for making a Time Lord character, since they're immortal (more or less) and have tons and tons of skills. They're all based on the same principle as Universal Translator, and have the same initial cost and cost to buy up the roll.

Most immortals that we've seen have such a wide variety of skills & knowledge that it would be impractical (to say the least) to try and define/buy them all before play begins. Thus:

20 Universal Translator (INT roll) - Speaks, reads, and writes pretty much any language that has ever existed, or that he's been exposed to. Even if he encounters a language that's completely new to him, the chances are he's encountered something similar to it before, or he's so adept at learning new languages he can start piecing together grammar and meaning from just a couple of phrases.

20 Universal Scientist (INT roll) - The character has at least a basic understanding of most sciences, even the most obscure. A successful USc roll will reveal what particular science is used in/by a given device or the basic principles and ideas of a given field of science. A roll made by a higher margin will allow the character to make Simple (by +1), Easy (by +3), or Difficult (by +5) evaluations/deductions about the probable outcome of a given application of the science, or a way to modify/defeat that particular application. Failed rolls may result in anything from just an unsuccessful attempt (-1) to destroyed devices/components (-3) to a major disaster in the making (-5).

20 Universal Traveler (INT roll) - The character has at least basic knowledge about practically any place and time they may visit. A successful UTv roll would tell them what what country/city they are in, or viewing (in a movie or photgraphs, possibly even from verbal description). Rolls made by higher margins reveal more details about their surroundings and other significant points of interest of the local, relative to where they are. A failed roll may mean anything from a slight misjudging of local (-1) to a completely inverted conclusion about where they are (-5).

20 Universal Scholar (INT roll) - The character has at least basic knowledge about such a wide variety of subjects they often seem to literally "know everything." A successful USr check will reveal the sort of basic facts about a field/race/person/place that an interested and informed layman in the subject might know from extensive "armchair research"; rolls made by higher margins will result in more extensive and more detailed information. A failed roll may mean anything from a few 'commonly known' but incorrect pieces of information being taken as true (-1) to utter [and possibly disasterous] inversion of the facts (-5).

**NOTE: I was tempted to include a "Universal Historian" talent, to include the character being able to know at least the general outline of history/historical events on any person or place, but decided against it; a combo roll in Universal Traveler / Universal Scholar should include this sort of thing already, I think.

20 Universal Tradesman (INT roll) - The character has been nearly everywhere and done nearly everything; as a result, they have at least a general idea of how to carry out just about any task or the basics of any job or profession. Rolls made by a higher margin indicate a job carried off with near-professional results; a failed roll could indicate anything from an ugly but workable solution (-1) to a near-disaster (-5).

20 Universal Contact (PRE roll) - The character knows somebody in just about any place, since they've been nearly everywhere. A successful UCt roll results in the character knowing a person in the area; actually FINDING that person may be another story [treat a successful roll as having a 1-pt. Contact -- the character must still make the Contact roll to actually find/meet with the person]. Rolls made by higher margins may indicate a Contact who is more useful/influential, easier to find, or more favorably disposed toward the character. A failed roll can mean anything from simply not knowing anyone here (-1) to an old acquaintance who is now hostile (-3) to a complete turn-around of the attitudes of the locals (-5).

20 Universal Favor (PRE roll) - In nearly every local, there is SOMEBODY who owes the character a favor in return for past aid. A successful UF roll means there is someone there who owes the character a minor favor (1 pt worth); a roll made by a wider margin means the favor is more valuable or the person owing the favor is willing to go to greater lengths and/or dangers to fulfill the obligation. A failed roll can mean anything from there being no favor-owing person in this place and time (-1) to finding a person who owes the character, but they have grown bitter and resentful and refuse to "remember" the obligation (-3) to the tables being turned and the character being hit up for a favor HE owes to somebody (-5).

Of course these talents may be bought up to suite the taste/flavor/background of an individual character.

Now, I realize right off we're talking about 140 points just in Talents, but building an immortal should be expensive; this way, it's at least possible. It's also possible that not every character will have every one of these Talents.

Of course individual Knowledge skills, Science skills, Professions, and Contacts/Favors should be bought to represent the things that are the character's specialty, or are influential in his background.

Dr. Anamoly ... way cool ideas ... I shall now proceed to steel them for my own nefarious uses. :whistle:

I think the Universal Historian is easily covered by a USch: Local History and a UTv: local area crica time period.

good stuff.

You're quite possibly right about not needing UHist, but since these were originally developed to build Time Lord characters, it seemed appropriate to have it as an entirely seperate item.

Having stuff I've posted "stolen" is a high compliment! :)