Game Maps and Counters Exchange

etherio

Re: Game Maps and Counters Exchange

Here's a map we used for the hidden lair of a mad scientist. Little more than a few labs, holding cells for the subjects and accomodation for the guards & staff, but it did the job. The entrance is via the steps at the top of the map.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/15140/cricklab-yahoo-2M.jpg

VERY nice! Consider it stolen! :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another map done with Dundjinni.

This was used for the climax of our campign. One of the team's foes was apsychic vampire who fancied himself something of a gourmand. He knew that the team's mystic had a Mindlink with the other four members, and theorised that it he drained the mystic, he'd get all five at once in one delicious treat. :eg:

When the mystic was attacked, the rest of the team fell prey to the attack through the mindlink. They found themselves inside the mystic's head, trying to defend the mental representation of the mindlink.

The mystic's relegion had an elemental basis (earth, water, wind, the sun and the spirits) and several of the team had elemental themes with their costumes or powers (Golden Phoenix, Green Mother, etc), so the mindlink was represented by an elemental temple, with each link becoming an elemental chamber. The shadows were, of course, their foe - who was but one step away from swallowing them up... :idjit:

Larger 2meg version[ATTACH]20112[/ATTACH]

Yeah, the players psychically scouted the base before I'd gotten off my *** to actually generate a map :doi: , so I had to sketch something on the fly and then turn it into a proper map for when they busted in properly.

The mapping software is Dundjinni. Very nice for generating maps - flexible, and the forums provide a lot of additional artwork. I'd definitely recommend it. :thumbup:

http://www.dundjinni.com/

About Dunjinni...is it a real easy and quick 'drag-and-drop' type interface? I love being creative, but I'd only buy it if it was something that could make attractive maps like you did in a snap.

About Dunjinni...is it a real easy and quick 'drag-and-drop' type interface? I love being creative' date=' but I'd only buy it if it was something that could make attractive maps like you did in a snap.[/quote']

Pretty easy. :)

Most of the walls and floors are done by either drawing freehand or dragging a regular shape (rectangle, elipse, etc) and filling either the shape, or the boundary line with your chosen wall/floor. Objects can be dropped anywhere on the map and just about everything can be resized or rotated. Cover (such as shadows, smoke, blood) can be placed on the map too and things can be moved above/below each other as needed. The line-drawing tool can be set to different thicknesses or properties, and the eraser can be tweaked to only erase certain types of things (e.g. erase the wall, but not the floor or the objects).

There are other useful facilities, too. You can either draw & place things wherever you like, or have them snap to a square or hexagonal grid. The snap-to function can be turned on and off whenever you feel like it. The maps can be viewed as plain or with raised walls or shadows from the walls.

To give you an idea, the mindscape temple took about three hours to make, the mad scientist's lair about four. Bear in mind, however, that these were the third and second maps I've generated with this program respectively. (When I get back from Christmas, I'll post the first test map I made, a small underwater lab for an eccentric inventor). As with any program, the more you use it, the faster you go.

And the forums... a LOT of user generated art there, ready to be placed in your image directories. Nice place. :thumbup:

Geez, I feel like I should be getting kickbacks from Fluid right about now...:D

Here's that underwater lab I mentioned.

One of the characters in the campaign - an inventor with a suit of powered armour - had said that he had a hidden lab under San Franscisco bay. No further details. This map was intended to get some creative juices flowing, rather than being a final product.

Left to right, we have the docking bay for the team's submersible car; computer room; main storage; life support; main lab; living quarters; electronics and robotics lab; secondary storage; main airlock.

I figure the emergency pressure suits near the airlocks were placed there by nervous team-mates after their first visit. They're certianly nothing the inventor would've thought of without prompting... :D

Larger 2 meg version

Compared to many programs out there I think Dundjinni is one of the easiest to use. Here's one I did in about an hour. The time consuming thing was erasing the lightsource radius objects as appropriate for shadows. Fundamentally easy though - place the transparent light rings where you want them and then just erase the object (which ignores the floor and walls underneath) to create shadows.

FYI - those light rings are Hero scale according to FH campfires. You can decide how high the cliffs are.

Another map done with Dundjinni.

This was used for the climax of our campign. One of the team's foes was apsychic vampire who fancied himself something of a gourmand. He knew that the team's mystic had a Mindlink with the other four members, and theorised that it he drained the mystic, he'd get all five at once in one delicious treat. :eg:

When the mystic was attacked, the rest of the team fell prey to the attack through the mindlink. They found themselves inside the mystic's head, trying to defend the mental representation of the mindlink.

The mystic's relegion had an elemental basis (earth, water, wind, the sun and the spirits) and several of the team had elemental themes with their costumes or powers (Golden Phoenix, Green Mother, etc), so the mindlink was represented by an elemental temple, with each link becoming an elemental chamber. The shadows were, of course, their foe - who was but one step away from swallowing them up... :idjit:

Larger 2meg version[ATTACH]20112[/ATTACH]

Hi - the 2 meg version doesn't seem to be coming up, it says the page is not available?

Hi - the 2 meg version doesn't seem to be coming up' date=' it says the page is not available?[/quote']

That's odd. I've just tried it now and it seems okay.

Here's the direct URL if you want to type it in a different browser, maybe.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg'>http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg

...blast. The formatting abbreviates the URL and hides half of the address. Here's the address in two halves. Copy and paste the two together and give it a go.

Pt 1: http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/

Pt 2: 15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg

That's odd. I've just tried it now and it seems okay.

Here's the direct URL if you want to type it in a different browser, maybe.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg'>http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg

...blast. The formatting abbreviates the URL and hides half of the address. Here's the address in two halves. Copy and paste the two together and give it a go.

Pt 1: http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/

Pt 2: 15140/GG12_Mindscape_Plain_2M.jpg

And now I can say, thanks much for the map! I used it in the game yesterday, the side rooms were traps for each of the members of the Justice Squad. It was DEXTER's (an advanced AI) last gasp of revenge, but the setting was in Atlantis where government agents' embedded suits were taken control of DEXTER and the environment used to his advantage. This area was where the President of the US and the Pharaoh of Atlantis were to meet, the main room in the middle is the conference room and the side rooms are security rooms. The Justice Squad was helping set up security for the big meeting and were ambushed. Turned out to be a pretty good battle, and the map was perfect since each little circle in the center of the side rooms was a magically-fueled vat of energy which could be tuned against each super individually. The "cotton candy" room (the mixed color pastels in the middle) was used against the dimensional traveler, sapping his dimensional manipulation abilities, the next room over with the blue in the middle was a freezing cold water attack to dampen the shape shifter who can't work in cold, the room with the bright sort of light in the middle was used to sap transformation abilities of a multiform elementalish sort, and the next room with the plant was used against the brick who can't be harmed easily (though that was less specific, as DEXTER didn't know much at all about him yet). The other side room was just set up with generic powers, using the gold and based on learnings from King Midas (a dimensional traveling "collector" bad guy).

• 4 months later...

Hmm' date=' is that undersea map still up? I have an encounter it'd be perfect for.[/quote']I have it downloaded. I can e-mail it to you, if you want to PM me with your addy. Let me know.

I can put it on my site if you like...I have a bunch of stuff at http://www.realschluss.org/mapping_resources/index.html

You mention a friend that makes maps for you. What program do they use? Perhaps they could give you the map files themselves to upload for those of us that might be able to import them?

The reason I ask is the quality of JPGs is kind of crappy. PNG files would be better in this instance since they are lossless.

You mention a friend that makes maps for you. What program do they use? Perhaps they could give you the map files themselves to upload for those of us that might be able to import them?

The reason I ask is the quality of JPGs is kind of crappy. PNG files would be better in this instance since they are lossless.

I"m not sure what you mean, I don't recall mentioning a friend who makes maps for me, maybe a friend who makes maps, froma couple instances. Sorry. I have the files as they were given to me, I'd have to go look but many of them came as jpgs.

Ah, I guess I misread the page. No problem. I just wish people would use the correct graphic types sometimes. Ehn... It's probably more research than people want to go into.

Well thank you very much for what you've put together. If I ever have the time, perhaps I'll take a stab at redoing some of those, and send them to you.