Sand Powers

Razor

OK guys, hit me with some neat ideas for a Sandman power set (i.e. body made from sand).

The ones I have so far are:

Stretching (to clobber with sand hammerhands)

Desolid cannot pass through solid objects (vuln to heat, cold and wind)

Running (as I glide over the ground)

I'm trying to decide whether to aim for brick or blaster archetype or somewhere in the middle. It's tough because I can imagine a cool sandblast attack but I think being able to shoot it while desolid is a little too cheesy for me (and WAY too cheesy for the GM). I'm thinking damage reduction is the way to go, 75% resistant vs Physical is damned expensive. I'd imagined pretty much being hurtable by energy attacks as normal, unless disperesed to a desolid state. Maybe like I have to coalesce in order to attack. I dunno.

Also I wanted to work out a dispersion disadvantage if I get pummeled or hit for an immense amount of physical damage. Even though my resistance would protect me I think a car or boulder or something might disperse me, requiring a half phase action to coalesce and "round up" myself. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Sand Powers

OK guys, hit me with some neat ideas for a Sandman power set (i.e. body made from sand).

The ones I have so far are:

Stretching (to clobber with sand hammerhands)

Desolid cannot pass through solid objects (vuln to heat, cold and wind)

Running (as I glide over the ground)

I'm trying to decide whether to aim for brick or blaster archetype or somewhere in the middle. It's tough because I can imagine a cool sandblast attack but I think being able to shoot it while desolid is a little too cheesy for me (and WAY too cheesy for the GM). I'm thinking damage reduction is the way to go, 75% resistant vs Physical is damned expensive. I'd imagined pretty much being hurtable by energy attacks as normal, unless disperesed to a desolid state. Maybe like I have to coalesce in order to attack. I dunno.

Also I wanted to work out a dispersion disadvantage if I get pummeled or hit for an immense amount of physical damage. Even though my resistance would protect me I think a car or boulder or something might disperse me, requiring a half phase action to coalesce and "round up" myself. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I wouldn't go with the EB powers, you are right Stretching is the way to go, although you will want to purchase the reduced endurance advantage. Although people tend to frown a MP + MP + EC combo is often the best mechanic for getting these types down.

In the 1st MP I would want a few naked advantage slots on my STR AOE (1 HEX), and a few others.

Plus I would lobby the GM to allow Damage Reduction in an MP 75% Physical Damage reduction is appropriate. The other slot could be Desolid with the limitation you mentioned. I could think of a few others as well

For the EC Running, Stretching 0-END, Growth (No STR increase), Density Increase 0-END and a few other knack powers.

All in all the Sandman is a very good character, NPC or PC.

Hawksmoor

-Tell us how you finally decide to write it up.

The ever popular Sand in your eyes attack is a must here! I'd define it as:

6d6 NND Flash vs Sight (Def: anything that protects your eyes from being hit by the sand). Regular Flash Defense won't help in this case.

I would go with an PD EB, though I wouldn't make it usuable while Desold.

A physical Area Effect attack EB would be nice also, defined as a Sandstorm. Yeah, a Flash attack could be linked here but it might be redundant to the one I previously mentioned.

I thought about mentioning Tunneling but that's up to you. I can see a case for and against this power.

You could give a few levels of Growth with the limitation 'Must have substantial amt of sand nearby to absorb'.

If you're concerned about the cost of Damage Reduction, you could simply give a much higher PD than usual and crank up the STUN.

The ever popular Sand in your eyes attack is a must here! I'd define it as:

6d6 NND Flash vs Sight (Def: anything that protects your eyes from being hit by the sand). Regular Flash Defense won't help in this case.

A physical Area Effect attack EB would be nice also, defined as a Sandstorm. Yeah, a Flash attack could be linked here but it might be redundant to the one I previously mentioned.

Here's a nasty thought. Combine the flash attack with a damage shield, possibly area effect, not vs. any armor SFX or hardened defenses for your sandstorm... sand is nasty, abrasive, and a very real mortal threat of desert climes. You could alternately throw in a suffocation factor (choking on the sand like smoke)instead of the damage shield, or all three if you're particularly evil and want to blow a lot of points! :sneaky:

Now, I just have to hope that Raven doesn't get any ideas for Pharaoh in this thread. :angst:

I occasionally use a villain/vigilante antagonist named Pharaoh with sand powers.

Some of his more unique ones (though I feel they are a must) include his Sandstorm, Darkness to Sight and Hearing Groups, No Range (he also has Spatial Awareness linked to Darkness). Other than that he's pretty basic for a sand character (stretching, desol, damage recduction...)

One idea I've been messing around with is a density manipulator. This can easily be adapted for a sand guy. Basically it's a Multipower with three slots. 1) Desol (and maybe movement), 2) 50% Resistant Physical & Energy DR, and 3) Density Increase & Armor.

This could easily be 1) Body Sifting, 2) Fluid Body and 3) Solid Rock Body.

Don't worry' date=' Descant, I like Pharaoh just the way he is (and having the flesh ripped from your bones isn't particularly heroic).[/quote']

True... but realistically, how much could sand do to an Ultra(super? mutant? whatever your game calls 'em?)

It doesn't have to be lethal in game. Just what's lethal in reality can do some damage in game. :) Inspiration lies everywhere. And some game styles are a bit nastier than others.

(secretly grateful Raven is a truly comic-booky GM who isn't really that evil)

I used to use a villian called "Quagmire" who had Damage reduction(NOt when wet) and a zero range personal immunity sand storm of a small Flash and NND, a NND zero range attack and streaching and some martial brick action...in 5Th I'd probibly lose the MA and add in a small to medium HA...

Thanks for all the responses and ideas!

I'm thinking I'm going to name him Dust Devil and go for combination wind+sand powers.

Of all of your powers I'm probably taking the following:

Multipower for Sand Form:

1) Desolid

2) 50% DMG Red (P/E, res)

3) Density Increase

NND Flash vs Sight Group (not vs eye protection or lack of eyes)

EB vs PD Sand Blast

RKA Abrase

Stretching + HA (like the classic sandman hammerhand pounding!)

Running w/ nice noncom multiplier (sort of like a mini-whirlwind of sand)

Life Support

Aid To Stun/Body (near sand or beach) (This one was neat!)

I was also contemplating a force wall that was opaque to sight and sound, used primarily to divider an conquer, like a whirling sphere of sand.

I think we're going standard points so 350 should be enough to cover.

Sand Disads?

I used to use a villian called "Quagmire" who had Damage reduction(NOt when wet) and a zero range personal immunity sand storm of a small Flash and NND' date=' a NND zero range attack and streaching and some martial brick action...in 5Th I'd probibly lose the MA and add in a small to medium HA...[/quote']

Speaking of dust...

If that's kind of his special effects there, dusty, windy, destructive, etc... there's a great idea for either power Limitations, or a disadvantage that any Water-based attacks, or large amounts of water (swimming, rainstorms, etc) dampen down the dust and negate his abilities. Rare enough power, yet enough of a disad to keep him on his toes. And it'd make his adversaries think a bit... it's one that could be logically figured out, but not obvious right away.

Also, possibly Wind powers and the like might have a different but similarly devastating effect on his abilities.

The invisibility is a good idea, I'll work on that.

Now, for my multipower and EC (first for form powers, second for sand control) how should I work the limitation for reduced function while wet?

Right now I was thinking to halve the active points (and effectiveness) of my powers if "soaked in water". I just didn't want one tiny mop-bucket to totally disable me. I figure limited power, halved effectiveness when "soaked" in water, which is a -1 according to HD 2.0.

You could also do a cosmetic transform for roughing edges or smoothing things out (like sandpaper) or honing/sharpening. Be real effective and make it area effect, selective. Heh.

This could also be an extremely nasty killing attack. Can you imagine skinning a person alive... eeewwww! Now that is abrasive!

Thanks for the great villain idea!

Mags

The invisibility is a good idea, I'll work on that.

Now, for my multipower and EC (first for form powers, second for sand control) how should I work the limitation for reduced function while wet?

Right now I was thinking to halve the active points (and effectiveness) of my powers if "soaked in water". I just didn't want one tiny mop-bucket to totally disable me. I figure limited power, halved effectiveness when "soaked" in water, which is a -1 according to HD 2.0.

Instead of a Limitation on the Powers, consider a Susceptibility to Water (Drains certain Powers). The more wet you get, the weaker your Powers are. Also, if you use Desol, water should definately be something that can still affect him (along with wind).

Don't bother with invisibility. Just use concealment (only in certain environments)

How about a dispel gizmo? Ever try to use sensitive electronics when there's sand flying around?

How about a create sandstorm? It'd be huge, but fun.

I worked in the Sandstorm idea!

So far here are my powers:

32 Sand Form: Multipower, 40-point reserve, (40 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

2u 1) Shifting Sands: Desolidification (affected by Wind, Water and Intense Heat/Fire) (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3u 2) Compressed Body: Density Increase (25,600 kg mass, +40 STR, +8 PD/ED, -8" KB) (40 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

0 (Total: 0 Active Cost, 0 Real Cost)

12 Dust Devil Powers: Elemental Control, 30-point powers, (15 Active Points); all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

20 1) Dust Wall: Force Wall (15 PD), Transparent ED (+1/2) (56 Active Points); Only Works Against Limited Type of Attack (Only vs. Physical Projectiles; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 2) Sand In Your Eye: Sight Group Flash 3d6, No Normal Defense (Not vs. Eye Protection; +1) (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

21 3) Sandstorm: Change Environment 1" radius, -5 to Hearing Group PER Rolls, -5 to Sight Group PER Rolls, Long-Lasting: 20 Minutes, Multiple Combat Effects, MegaScale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) (52 Active Points); Gradual Effect (1 Minute; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

18 4) Elongation: Stretching 5", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (37 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

12 5) Dust Devil : Running +10" (16" total), x8 Noncombat (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

(This one is NOT in my EC):

12 Sand Form Immunities: Life Support (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Self-Contained Breathing) (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

144 Total Powers Cost