Force Wall

Hawksmoor

I am wondering if I am totally mistaken.

Force Wall is a constant power, lasting for as long as you pay END to maintain it. Given that what are the answers to the following questions.

Now can you erect multiple force walls at once?

If you can can you then shift your MP away from the FW bearing slot and continue to pay end to maintain it?

If no, then what if you bought the FW Persistent (+1/2) Only costs END to ACTIVATE (+1/4)?

Am I totally smoking bad stuff on this?

Hawksmoor

Re: Force Wall

I believe Only Costs END To Activate is intended solely for body-affecting powers like DI, Desolid, Growth, etc. To get the effect you're looking for, I'd probably go with Continuing Charges (not so good) or Lingering (so good), either of which would give it that "fire and forget" feel.

I would go with 0-END and persistant or uncontroled either way ity works out to +1 so it is a litle pricy but then you put up the walls and turn your back on them and do what ever. I imagine in a fantasy setting this would be greate for an escape and evade power. In a dungean put up a couple of these while running for your life and you are bound to stall your opponent a bit.

I'm without my book, so I may be wrong per the rules. Most of it's my own feelings on the subjects.

Not more than you have bought coverage for. I also wouldn't allow overlapping walls to add. You break one section, you break all of them. (I don't think you can actually have seperate walls up, I think they must be connected by the rules.

If you can can you then shift your MP away from the FW bearing slot and continue to pay end to maintain it?

No. Game Balance again. Would you allow a character with a forcefield to do the same?

If no, then what if you bought the FW Persistent (+1/2) Only costs END to ACTIVATE (+1/4)?

I believe that devlin1 answered this correctly. I like the End activate idea, but it is easily abused.

Even so, I wouldn't allow it as a seperate slot from a multipower as a fire & forget style. For example if a power was bought via a VPP, those points would be allocated until the FW was taken down.

I believe Only Costs END To Activate is intended solely for body-affecting powers like DI' date=' Desolid, Growth, etc.[/quote'] Correct.
To get the effect you're looking for' date=' I'd probably go with Continuing Charges (not so good) or Lingering (so good), either of which would give it that "fire and forget" feel.[/quote']

Actually, Lingering is only applicable to Instant powers

I am wondering if I am totally mistaken.

Force Wall is a constant power, lasting for as long as you pay END to maintain it. Given that what are the answers to the following questions.

Am I totally smoking bad stuff on this?

Hawksmoor

Yes, you can erect multiple Force Walls at once as long as you can pay the END for all of them. GMs are cautioned to monitor for abuse, but it is legal.

You cannot switch your MPP or VPP away from the FW Power and have it stay in effect normally. However if you apply Uncontrolled or put the FW's on Continuing Charges then you "fire & forget" the FW effect and can switch out. Uncontrolled is an Advantage, Continuing Charges can be an Advantage or a Lim depending on how many Charges and on occasion other factors relating to Charges.

Only 0 END Powers can be Persistent, and Only Costs END to Activate isnt normally applicable to FW. Uncontrolled is what you are looking for in that type of situation.

Yes, you can erect multiple Force Walls at once as long as you can pay the END for all of them. GMs are cautioned to monitor for abuse, but it is legal.

You cannot switch your MPP or VPP away from the FW Power and have it stay in effect normally. However if you apply Uncontrolled or put the FW's on Continuing Charges then you "fire & forget" the FW effect and can switch out. Uncontrolled is an Advantage, Continuing Charges can be an Advantage or a Lim depending on how many Charges and on occasion other factors relating to Charges.

Only 0 END Powers can be Persistent, and Only Costs END to Activate isnt normally applicable to FW. Uncontrolled is what you are looking for in that type of situation.

Uncontrolled is a little too much, as I would like to be able to drop the Force Walls erected on command. How about this option Force Walls based on an END reserve. I take continuous and set it up to power off an END reserve with the power cancellation being knock out or stun the PC or wait until the END reserve runs out.

Hawksmoor

I find the best way to do a "set it and forget it" type of wall is with Entangle. It can get expensive in active points' date=' but the limitations like 'walls only' or '1 body' can bring the real cost down fast.[/quote']

Good Point, a definitely a slot in the MP. But I also want to 'dissolve' the wall on command. Can this be done with and entangle? Or is this an applicable SFX on some defined Entangles, and thus not universally applicable?

Hawksmoor

-More than just a pretty face

Technically there is nothing in the Uncontrolled write up that says that the character that turned it on cant turn it off at will if they choose to.

Uncontrolled indicates that the Power runs until its shut off condition is reached or it runs out of allocated END. However it doesnt specifically say it MUST run that long.

Technically there is nothing in the Uncontrolled write up that says that the character that turned it on cant turn it off at will if they choose to.

Uncontrolled indicates that the Power runs until its shut off condition is reached or it runs out of allocated END. However it doesnt specifically say it MUST run that long.

Or you can add "when I will it so" to the shut-off condition(s).

Re: Force WallHere is a character I did for the Character Posting Challenge thread about a year ago. He has a FW in his MP.

Combat Information Page

Character Name: Killer Shrike

Alternate Identities:

Player Name:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5229&stc=1
CHARACTERISTICS CHARACTER IMAGE
Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes
15 STR 10 5 15 12- HTH Damage 3d6 END [1]
18 DEX 10 24 18 13- OCV 6 DCV 6
15 CON 10 10 15 12-
15 BODY 10 10 15 12-
18 INT 10 8 18 13- PER Roll 13-/16-
15 EGO 10 10 15 12- ECV: 5
15 PRE 10 5 15 12- PRE Attack: 3d6
14 COM 10 2 14 12-

5 PD 3 2 5/20   5/20 PD (0/15 rPD)
5 ED 3 2 5/20   5/20 ED (0/15 rED)
4 SPD 2.8 12 4   Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12
10 REC 6 8 10  
30 END 30 0 30  
40 STUN 31 9 40    
6" Running 6 0 6"    
2" Swimming 2 0 2"    
3"/1 1/2"" Leaping 3 0 3" 107 Total Characteristics Points
attachment.php?attachmentid=5228&stc=1
EXPERIENCE POINTS
Total earned: 50
Spent: 47
Unspent: 3
Base Points: 200
Disad Points: 150
Total Points: 397
MOVEMENT
Type Total
Run (6) 6" [12" NC]
Swim (2) 2" [4" NC]
H. Leap (3") 3"
V. Leap (2") 1 1/2"
Flight 25" [50" NC]
APPEARANCE
Hair Color:  Brown
Eye Color:  Brown/Red
Height:  5' 10"
Weight:  160 lbs
Description:
Wears a black costume with a maroon and red cape, maroon eyepieces in a disquising helmet, and a maroon bird-of-prey head upon his chest.

DEFENSES
Type Amount Notes
Physical Defense 5/20 Current BODY:
Res. Phys. Defense 0/15  
Energy Defense 5/20 Current END:
Res. Energy Defense 0/15  
Mental Defense 0 Current STUN:
Power Defense 0  
COMBAT INFORMATION
OCV: 6 DCV: 6

Combat Skill Levels: +2 with Force Projection & Manipulation , +1 Overall
COMBAT MANEUVERS
Maneuver Phase OCV DCV Effect
Block 1/2 +0 +0 Block, abort
Brace 0 +2 1/2 +2 vs. Range Mod.
Disarm 1/2 -2 +0 Can disarm
Dodge 1/2 -- +3 Abort, vs. all attacks
Grab 1/2 -1 -2 Grab two limbs
Grab By 1/2 -3 -4 Move and Grab
Haymaker 1/2* +0 -5 +4 DC attack damage
Move By 1/2 -2 -2 STR/2 + v/5
Move Through 1/2 -v/5 -3 STR + v/3
Set 1 +1 +0 Ranged Attacks only
Strike 1/2 +0 +0 STR or weapon
COMBAT MODIFIERS
Range 0-4 5-8 9-16 17-32 33-64 65-128
RMOD 0 -2 -4 -6 -8 -10

POWERS
Cost  Power END
3 +3 PER with Single Sense Group (Sight) 0
19 Eyes of the Hunter: (Total: 19 Active Cost, 19 Real Cost) Infrared Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group) (Real Cost: 5) plus +6 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 9) 0
40 Force Powers: Elemental Control, 80-point powers
1) Death From Above: Flight 25", Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (87 Active Points)
2) Force Aura: Force Field (15 PD/15 ED/5 Flash Defense: Sight Group), Hardened (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (79 Active Points)
48 Force Projection & Manipulation: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)
Notes: Projected from eyes. SFX: (Red) Force, which manifests with small barbs in the energy signature.
4u
1) Doom of Thorns: Killing Attack - Ranged 4d6 (vs. ED) (60 Active Points); 8 Boostable Charges (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)
[8 bc]
4u
2) Hail of Thorns: Energy Blast 6d6 (vs. ED), Autofire (5 shots; +1/2), 64 Charges (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Beam (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)
[64]
4u
3) Nest of Thorns: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF, 16 Charges (+0), Backlash (+1/2), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2) (60 Active Points); Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4), Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)
[16]
5u
4) Hedge of Thorns: Force Wall (8 PD/8 ED; 5" long and 1" tall), 6 Continuing Charges lasting 1 Minute each (+0), Hardened (+1/4) (60 Active Points); Restrainable (Only by means other than Grabs and Entangles; -1/4)
[6 cc]
214 Total Powers Cost
PERKS
Cost  Name
2 Reputation (Dangerous foe of organized crime) (A small to medium sized group (organized crime, beat cops, street people)) ; 14-, +2/+2d6
1 Money: Well Off
3 Total Perks Cost

SKILLS
Cost  Name
4 +2 with Flight
6 +2 with Force Projection & Manipulation
12 Eye of the Hunter: +6 vs. Range Penalties on Force Projection and Manipulation
10 +1 Overall
3 Breakfall 13-
1 Criminology 8-
3 Deduction 13-
3 Interrogation 12-
3 Lockpicking 13-
3 PS: Accountant (INT-based) 13-
3 Shadowing 13-
3 Stealth 13-
3 Streetwise 12-
3 KS: Organized Crime (INT-based) 13-
3 Traveler
1) AK: Chicago (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
2) AK: Detroit (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
3) AK: New York (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
4) AK: Philidelphia (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
5) AK: St Louis (INT-based) (3 Active Points) 13-
73 Total Skills Cost

DISADVANTAGES
Cost  Disadvantage
20 Normal Characteristic Maxima
10 Reputation: Vigilante, 11-
15 Social Limitation: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
25 Dependent NPC: Wife Minnie, 3 children 8- (Normal; Unaware of character's adventuring career/Secret ID; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)
10 Psychological Limitation: Vengeance Seeker (Uncommon, Strong)
20 Hunted: The Mob 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
10 Vulnerability: 2 x Effect Gravity Manipulation (Uncommon)
20 Susceptibility: Intense Gravity Fields, 2d6 damage per Phase (Uncommon)
10 Physical Limitation: Hard of Hearing (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
10 Unluck: 2d6
150 Total Disadvantages Cost
Height: 5' 10" Hair: Brown
Weight: 160 lbs Eyes: Brown/Red
Appearance: Wears a black costume with a maroon and red cape, maroon eyepieces in a disquising helmet, and a maroon bird-of-prey head upon his chest.
Personality: Killer Shrike's true motivation is unknown, although obviously he seems primarily interested in foiling the plans of organized crime. By the reports of other costumed crime fighters who he has assisted in the past, in combat he is taciturn, speaking only when necessary, and impersonal.
Quote:"Run like the mice you are, greaseballs, Ill catch you all anyway."
Background: Not much is known of this avenger of the night, save that he has been waging a war on crime for the past decade. He appears in the night, decending from above shooting energy from his eyes to confound and incapacitate wrong doers. His job done, he traps his prey in a corsucating web of energy thorns, leaves a card for the police, and swoops away. Most notably he has taken on the Scapelli Mob and the Tierney Mob on several occasions, foiling thier criminal activities and landing many of thier goons in prison. Both Mobs have a price out on his head that has stood for many years, uncollected.

What is clear is that the costumed vigilante known as the Killer Shrike clearly has some sort of Vendetta against organized crime. He has sprung upon the scene sporadically in major cities from St Louis to New York, Philidelphia to Chicago over the past 10 years, attacking mafioso fronts and dens with startling precision from surprise in one furious night and then disappearing into the shadows again to hunt another day. He often goes for months on end without making an appearance, only to appear when least expected where his presense will do the most damage to the dastardly plans of the crime families.

He has been known to assist other costumed crimefighters struggling against the mob in the past, appearing unsolicited to provide that aid, and then departing without a word once the situation was in hand. He also only seems to work at night; there is no known record of him being active during the day. He is a mystery to both his foes and the populace at large, cloaked in darkest night and shielded by anonymity.

Powers/Tactics: Killer Shrike's powers are based primarily on the ability to control and project Force. Using Force, he is able to propel himself thru the air and protect himself from damage. He is also able to project Force from his eyes and manipulate it in various ways but this process tires him and he can only use each trick a certain number of times per day. He also has phenomenal eye sight, able to see vast distances. His energy signature is a dark, menacing red, and when he projects force small barbs of energy are visible on the surface of the projected energy.
Campaign Use: Killer Shrike can be used as a NPC vigilante in almost any game. He can provide GMs with a number of hooks involving organized crime in a variety of cities. Killer Shrike is of the Flying Blaster archetype.
Character created with Hero Designer (version 2.30 - interim build)

It looks like Killer Shrike has already said pretty much what I was gonna say...

I'll only add making a Power Uncontrolled isn't all that expensive. It's the 0 END and Persistant that makes it expensive. If you could run the Power off an END Reserve and don't mind it vanishing upon losing LOS on the affect it gets much cheaper.

As far as "turning off" an Entangle... I'll leave that up to the GM. Going by the book, I'd say you can't, although I've allowed some character who's SFX called for it to do so (though I also said it took an action).

Nice PC. How well does he work with all those Charges powers?

And if I may be so bold where did you get that EXPORT Template? And if it is in the 2.30 HD what is it called?

Hawksmoor

Actually, its just an NPC. Ive never even used it in play, like many of the characters I did for the Character Posting Challenge thread.

I really just whipped him up on the fly one day about a year ago.

However, I have played characters that were entirely MP & Charge based before, and shooting from the hip, I would say from experience that the character has enough charges to go around if the player doesnt waste charges needlessly.

Of course, Im from the "1 shot 1 kill" school of though and tend to make every shot count when I run a character rather than just blazing away or cycling thru MP slots until I find one that works-- must be the Marine in me ;)

The export template is one that I did back in HDv1. It's available in the Free Stuff area. However, I need to make a minor tweak to it to be more compatible with the new boards and havent gotten around to doing it and sending a new one to Ben to repost (Ive been fixing it manually since the boards changed, mostly because I havent been posting as many characters).

Killer Shrike, quick question: Is the "Death From Above" in anyway inspired by Battletech? ;)

And if I hadn't said before in one of the other threads, nice export template.

Sorry, missed this earlier. Heres a quoted passage from one of the pages on my website:

What is a Killer Shrike?

Encyclopedic answer: Shrikes: Bird family Laniidae (Latin for Butchers). Also known as Butcher-birds and Thornbirds.

Most well known for thier habit of impaling thier prey upon thorn bushes and barbed wire, and sometimes eating thier prey while it is impaled and still alive.

There are 31 species broken into 3 genera. Typically small birds, the various Shrikes have small hooked bills and banded faces.

They often use deception and sudden strikes to incapacitate larger foes, driving them upon thorn bushes to finish them off.

As I said above, I used to play Mech Warrior quite abit. My favorite tactic was 'Death from Above', which entails using jump jets to land on an opponents head, thereby killing him instantly. At the time, I was using the moniker 'Sir Pyro', but some people told me that a fairly well known hacker used a very similar screen name, so I decided to change it just to avoid any confusion or problems.

I've always liked birds of prey and my grandmother was a bird watcher hobbyist, so I looked thru her books and found the Shrikes. A large group of birds, there is quite a bit of variation in thier appearances, but some of the South African varieties had very distinctive black and red markings, which happen to be my favorite colors. Reading into it further, I discovered thier impaling behavior and thought that the moniker 'Killer Shrike' would be a perfect screen name for Mech Warrior considering my tactics. The name stuck, I used it for other things, and soon it was my full time internet identity.

When I became interested in Warhammer 40k I first plaid Squats, but eventually switched to a Space Marine force after the Squats became nigh undeafeatable. In the last edition of 40k, little control was placed over what types of troops could be taken, so I put together a force consisting of only models with Jump Packs equipped for assault, and Land Speeders. They were of course called the Killer Shrikes, and I went with a red and black color schematic and avian imagery.

One potentially extremely abusive way of modeling a fire and forget Force Wall is through Summon. You simply summon a slavishly loyal construct who basically is the Force Wall. You can build a positively obscene Force Wall for 150-200 pts if that's the only thing the critter can do. :eek:

I had a character once who's entire concept was like that. He was a sculptor who could make his creations come to life. He had lots of D&D type "spells" such as Bigby's Hands, Walls of Force, Death Fogs, Evard's Black Tentacles, Mordenkainan's Swords, etc. It required very careful cooperation with the GM to make him work, but he was a lot of fun to play. ;)

And here all this time I just figured you were a big fan of this guy...

Heh. Actually I had never heard of the guy until years later I ran across him in (I think) the Marvel Superhero references.

Couldnt figure this guy out -- his Power Set and schtick has nothing to do with Shrikes whatsoever.

Heh. Actually I had never heard of the guy until years later I ran across him in (I think) the Marvel Superhero references.

Couldnt figure this guy out -- his Power Set and schtick has nothing to do with Shrikes whatsoever.

Welcome to Marvel and comic book heroes in general. Sense is not a prerequisite. Just a cool name, cool powers, and a writer willing to use them.

Hawksmoor

-I like your Killer Shrike Better!!!!! :thumbup: