Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

The A&W in my city was a combo franchise with Long John Silver's, and never re-opened after closing to repair damage from a kitchen fire years ago. Now the nearest one is 80 miles away in a BAD part of Memphis, so there's a limit to the effort I'll go to to enjoy a frosty mug of root beer.

Sadly the best Mom&Pop local burger joint here, Milky Way's, closed years ago and is now a cancer stick superstore. Their phone number was one off from my parents', so we used to take down phone orders and call them in to the burger stand rather than go through the trouble of explaining to people and then have them call us back about half the time.

book plug

For LM though others might find it cool

[Jan 17th] I signed contracts for Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops Swedish translation rights!

‘Konstiga Saker Kunder Säger I Bokhandeln’ will be published by Bokförlaget Lind & Co. They are commissioning new illustrations for the book by a Swedish cartoonist, and the book will be published this autumn. Spännande!

http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2012/01/konstiga-saker-kunder-sager-i.html

For an idea of what Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops is about read this page, and lol and despair for humanity.

Customer: Do you have 'Windows 7 for Dummies'?

Me: Sorry, we're an antiquarian bookshop; nearly everything in here pre-dates computers.

Customer: Oh. Do you have user guide for antiquarian computers? You know from, like, the olden days, when they had swords and stuff?

Me: ...?

from & more at : http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2011/12/weird-things-customers-say-in-bookshops.html

on the phone

Me: Hello Ripping Yarns.

Customer: Do you have any mohair wool?

Me: Sorry, we're not a yarns shop, we're a bookshop.

Customer: You're called Ripping Yarns.

Me: Yes, that's 'yarns' as in stories.

Customer: Well it's a stupid name.

Me: It's a Monty Python reference.

Customer: So you don't sell wool?

Me: No.

Customer: Hmf. Ridiculous.

Me: ...but we do sell dead parrots.

Customer: What?

Me: Parrots. Dead. Extinct. Expired. Would you like one?

Customer: Erm, no.

Me: Ok, well if you change your mind, do call back.

from & more at : http://jen-campbell.blogspot.com/2011/05/weird-things-customers-say-in-bookshops.html

edit: some more: http://www.buzzfeed.com/fjelstud/weird-things-customers-say-in-bookshops (Jen took some of them down due to the book being published. this page still has most of them). And But the book. :D

Got new glasses over the weekend. I see better. We'll see how they hold up. My last pair lasted almost ten years.

I hope my new ones hold up well. I went to the Optometrist for an exam (and glasses) for the first time in almost 30 years. I hated my first pair for numerous reasons. But after spending a good amount of time trying on the new frames, and being assured that the weight of the actual glasses will be only minimally heavier, I think I will take to wearing them this time.

I hope my new ones hold up well. I went to the Optometrist for an exam (and glasses) for the first time in almost 30 years. I hated my first pair for numerous reasons. But after spending a good amount of time trying on the new frames' date=' and being assured that the weight of the actual glasses will be only minimally heavier, I think I will take to wearing them this time.[/quote']

I loved my old glasses ... they had hingeless springy titanium earpieces and were incredibly light. That is crucial to me because I have almost no nose bone (when I lie on my side, my nose sags perceptibly, which my wife finds amusing). They were the only glasses I've had that didn't slip down my face as I wore them. Unfortunately, the some sort of frames cost about $260 more than the frames I did get, and I'll try the lightest possible hinge types at least for a while.

And when you're 55 and admit to being a college instructor, you can wave off the person trying to push up-priced frames for style reasons and say you go for extra stodge.

This is one area where you definitely want to not use "discount services." I was extremely lucky in that my work covered almost the entire cost of the surgery. I only had to pay $500 to get the computer controlled Lasik, which scans and maps your eyes and then fixes them based on the scan. If not for my right eye being really, really bad, I would have perfect 20/20 vision. My left eye is 20/20, and my right eye is 20/25.

This is one area where you definitely want to not use "discount services." I was extremely lucky in that my work covered almost the entire cost of the surgery. I only had to pay $500 to get the computer controlled Lasik' date=' which scans and maps your eyes and then fixes them based on the scan. If not for my right eye being really, really bad, I would have perfect 20/20 vision. My left eye is 20/20, and my right eye is 20/25.[/quote']

That's what I had back in 2004 (or was it 2003). I did go into the eye doctor two years ago because I wasn't seeing as clear as I used to. Turns out, I now have 20/20...

Had Lasik 8 years ago. Best choice I ever made.

I am a bit farsighted, with a (semi) compensating astigmatism (which is why I thought I was nearsighted all this time), and the doctor thought that any improvement done by laser surgery would come at the expense of some other part of my vision. So I chose glasses for now.