Longest Running Thread EVER

More

The first post to this whole HG boards was by...

At long last, here they are! WOOHOO!

Throughout the first part of this week, you guys will probably notice some inconsistencies in the stability of the site. This is to reflect the stability of my mind. As the week goes on, the site, and my sanity, will become much more stable. Currently, the board, Digital Hero and the online store are being run off of the new server and over the next couple days the rest of the stie will be transfered and our DNS entry finally updated to reflect the change.

Thanks for your patience duringthis entire process.

Ben

The rest of the thread is here: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6 Yes folks the thread # is 6. So where are the first 5 threads go? :confused:

Re: Another topic to discuss: The First NGD thread

Yay, I found the first thread on this NGD, I was was considering bumping it but decided against it. If anyone was to search for it again and I bumped it it would make it quite difficult to find it again. At least we know that it is near the beginning of the NGD and that it, where I believe it should stay -- guarded by the depths of time and threads past. And thus the name of the thread reamins a mystery.

But what can I tell you about this thread that launched this forum -- The Non-Gaming Discussion forum/board? The first post by JmOz was:

And the people who posted to that thread are: Monolith, Hermit, misterdeath, Starlord, Super Squirrel, cubist, Ben Seeman, JmOz, Supreme, Shadowpup, Edsel, Mike Basinger, RDU Neil, Fazhoul, Agent X, aylwin13, Chaosliege, Alibear, Thirdbase, Evil Steve.

Strange fact but true: The NGD was not created when the other forums were -- it was created on request. Something to remember? ;)

Although I knew this, I never knew the "prepetrators". Thanks, Bazza! And thanks very very much JmOz!

All right this seems as good a thread as any for this post, and it supports Super Squirrel's intent...so...

I just saw that apparently the Joey character from Friends will get a spin-off show. I think he's a fine enough actor. I admit, I don't think Friends is that great. But a spin-off show of this character? Come on...not a character to base a show on. Unless they really rework it, such as the "Lou Grant" show.

Whattya think?

I just saw that apparently the Joey character from Friends will get a spin-off show. I think he's a fine enough actor. I admit, I don't think Friends is that great. But a spin-off show of this character? Come on...not a character to base a show on. Unless they really rework it, such as the "Lou Grant" show.

Whattya think?

I'm not a big fan of spin-offs. Off hand, I can only think of one that worked (Frasier), and that was completely different from the original series. There may be another, but I can't think of it.

Specific to Joey, though, I think this is a bad idea. A large part of his appeal is the relationship and banter with the other characters, especially Chandler. I wouldn't mind if they proved me wrong, though. If they concentrate on his acting career, I might actually be interested. His funniest bit ever was in one of his terrible productions. "...That's why I'm getting on this spaceship." Ahh, bad theatre. Thank god I've never been in a bad play... :whistle:

I'm not a big fan of spin-offs. Off hand' date=' I can only think of one that worked (Frasier), and that was completely different from the original series. There may be another, but I can't think of it.[/quote']

Well, The Bionic Woman was actually more popular and earned more money for the network than The Six Million Dollar Man. :)

I'm not a big fan of spin-offs. Off hand, I can only think of one that worked (Frasier), and that was completely different from the original series. There may be another, but I can't think of it.

Specific to Joey, though, I think this is a bad idea. A large part of his appeal is the relationship and banter with the other characters, especially Chandler. I wouldn't mind if they proved me wrong, though. If they concentrate on his acting career, I might actually be interested. His funniest bit ever was in one of his terrible productions. "...That's why I'm getting on this spaceship." Ahh, bad theatre. Thank god I've never been in a bad play... :whistle:

Several that lasted more than one season:

"The Jeffersons" and "Maude" both spun off from "All in the Family". "Good Times" spun off of "Maude".

As Dr. Anomaly mentioned, "The Bionic Woman" spun off of "Six Million Dollar Man" and of course did well. The premise was aimed at young men, primarily, and who would young men rather look at, Lee Majors or Lindsay Wagner? :)

"Lou Grant" spun off from "Mary Tyler Moore". This, too, was mentioned.

"Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres" basically spun off from "The Beverly Hillbillies".

"Mayberry RFD" spun off from "The Andy Griffith Show".

And let's not forget the Law and Order and CSI spin offs. :)

I know there's more, but I can't think of them at the moment.

"The Jeffersons" and "Maude" both spun off from "All in the Family". "Good Times" spun off of "Maude".

As Dr. Anomaly mentioned, "The Bionic Woman" spun off of "Six Million Dollar Man" and of course did well. The premise was aimed at young men, primarily, and who would young men rather look at, Lee Majors or Lindsay Wagner? :)

"Petticoat Junction" and "Green Acres" basically spun off from "The Beverly Hillbillies".

Its random I know, but my mom went to highschool with the Bionic Woman.

That's where I'm with you, even though I'm not a Friends fan I do like Joey's parts very often and I think he's a good actor. If anyone's wondering why I'm talking so much about a show I don't care for, my wife watches it, including the daily reruns if I'm home early enough, so I'm pretty familiar with it, at least the older shows. Not really up on the last couple seasons and don't care.

Well' date=' [i']The Bionic Woman[/i] was actually more popular and earned more money for the network than The Six Million Dollar Man. :)

Really???? Huh, I never would have guessed, not enough suspected. Thanks.

All right this seems as good a thread as any for this post, and it supports Super Squirrel's intent...so...

Whattya think?

Well my favourite character on the show is Chandilier...Bing! (get it?) because of his banter and attempted humour. Joey was invited to Australia's tv awards one year and didn't give off a favourable impression. People started nicknaming him "Matt le Blank" in imatation of of clueless Joey.

As Madstone suggested for the spinoff to work they need to change track from 20/30-something's hanging out. His suggestion of focusing on his acting career is a good one. Rumour has it that Elle "The Body" McPherson will make another appearance.

Don't forget about "Rhoda" and "Phyllis." Can't vouch for their quality, but they lasted several years each.

-AA

I knew I was forgetting some. :) I know about most of these after the fact. I was pretty young when most of them came out.

Thanks.

I knew I was forgetting some. :) I know about most of these after the fact. I was pretty young when most of them came out.

I remember watching them. I was probably around ten years old at the time. So while I remember them being good, I also remember Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl being good at that age. :)

-AA

I'm watching the Sealab 2021 episode where the power is out and they're all talking, the whole time all we see is a wide shot of the Sealab complex as they talk. Not the first show to do this sort of thing, but they do it great. This series is freaking brilliant!

By the way, you know part of what makes this show brilliant? They write to 15 minutes (actually like 12 with the commercials on either side). We need more shows that concentrate on quality, not quantity.

I was a little old for those two, iirc. I was getting bored by a lot of them. Isis was kind of fun, but I wasn't old enough to REALLY appreciate it.

I remember watching them. I was probably around ten years old at the time. So while I remember them being good, I also remember Electra-Woman and Dyna-Girl being good at that age. :)

-AA

"Frasier"? C'mon, guys....

JG

I think the Lou Grant show was one of the few to rival, at least in its heyday, the quality of the show that begat it.

Unless we're counting the latter day distortions on Sealab and Space Ghost and the like, but I wouldn't count those as spin-offs.

Here is a question: which TV show was the first spin-off? First sucessful spin-off?

As I think about it, was Jackie Gleason's "The Honeymooners" spun from a skit from his variety show?

Hmm, can't think of stuff before the 70s but I know there were spin-offs earlier. Of course it's a bit convoluted as well with the movement from radio to television - what about radio=>TV spin-offs??

As I think about it, was Jackie Gleason's "The Honeymooners" spun from a skit from his variety show?

Hmm, can't think of stuff before the 70s but I know there were spin-offs earlier. Of course it's a bit convoluted as well with the movement from radio to television - what about radio=>TV spin-offs??

Let me rephrase, which TV show was first spun off from another TV show? And which was the first sucessful one? (also knowing that there are many criterea for "successful", hense discussionable. :) )

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

My favorite TV Spin off show would most likely be Deep Space Nine. But understand that when I say this, I do not consider Star Trek: TNG a spin off of the original Star Trek. One of the requirements in my mind for a Spin Off is one of the characters has to initially move to the new show. In this case, DSN had Miles O'Brien and later Worf.

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

There's "Buffy TVS" and "Angel". Both pretty darn successful.

"Babylon 5" and the short-lived "Crusade".

Wasn't there a "Baywatch" spinoff? "Baywatch Hawaii" or something...

"21 Jump Street" spawned "Booker". (egads, I watched 'em both)

"Benson" came from the show "Soap".

"Simpsons" came from "The Tracey Ullman Show".

And who can forget "Happy Days" and the ever-lovable "Joanie Loves Chachi"?

"Highlander" had a spinoff I never watched...

"Cosby" had a spinoff for Lisa Bonet, but she left and that other chick took over, and I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

"Spenser for Hire" actually had a very short lived spinoff called "Man Called Hawk".

Believe it or not, that's all I can remember off the top of my head.