Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I've had a dog that would let us vacuum it, but never a cat. They prefer not to be in the same building as a running vacuum cleaner. This probably is yet another indicator that we're too damn lax about cleaning the house. :(

By the way' date=' Alice..."vaccuming the cat"? :nonp:[/quote']

I was waiting for someone else to notice that . . .

It's a Making Light-ism, shorthand for finding things to do, anything, other than work on writing. So after they've cleaned the house top to bottom, washed the windows, polished the sink fixtures, caught up on laundry and washed all the towels, curtains and potholders in the house, swept the front steps, bleached the cat box (etc, etc), then all that's left to do is vacuuming the cat.

The apartment has never been cleaner. :D

Idle question: how often are recoveries called for from the backups? How responsive and selectable are your backup facilities?

The few times I've seen calls for data retrieval from the back-ups, it seemed the retrieval part of the back-up systems were at best cumbersome, and there was one case where recovery turned out to be impossible. The vendor got grilled both ways after that.

I do a nightly backup of all of our data, and once a week it is sent offsite, and returned the following week. I recover data from the tapes only about once a month, and it has always gone smoothly.

However, we have a method that has proven faster and more reliable for those instances when the users delete their data which is Undelete. We install it on all our data servers, and it makes life so much easier. The only time that fails is when it fills up and starts emptying itself, and someone discovers something missing from a month ago, but that is rare.

You are correct, those types of problems are handled with the tape recoveries. Never had any grief from those with the exception of the amount of time it takes. The nice thing is that they are pretty much automatic once they are started. In my experiences anyway.

For the really bad problems, we have just rebuilt the server that was having the problems. Which happened to us back in July when we got hit with a rather malicious malware/virus. It was faster for us to just rebuild servers than trying to troubleshoot and 'fix' the problems. That was a fun week let me tell you. :rolleyes:

Idle question: how often are recoveries called for from the backups? How responsive and selectable are your backup facilities?

The few times I've seen calls for data retrieval from the back-ups, it seemed the retrieval part of the back-up systems were at best cumbersome, and there was one case where recovery turned out to be impossible. The vendor got grilled both ways after that.

That's why a lot of our customers are trying to roll their own backup solutions, usually using paired NetApps with remote replication. That's actually the current standard, since disk backups don't have the bandwidth and window issues that tape does; then, since you still need tape, you can use the snapshot capability to back up to tape at leisure.

The big problem is cost. Lots of orgs are hot to implement some kind of disaster recovery system for their IT after Katrina, Asian tsunami, and WTC--but compared to tape disk is pretty expensive and so they always get sticker shock.

Strange question: how big can Flash storage get, and is it long-term stable? Sorta goofy to think of plugging a terabyte flash unit into a document-image server, dumping the snapshot to it, and then sending the flash unit to a salt mine, but there's some allure to the concept.