Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Which is why I'm so curious. :sneaky:

There was a hint on another thread, I think. He mentioned something about needing a volunteer for a rep experiment, and elsewhere, that he suspects rep insider trading, but won't know until he looks at his data.

Unless, of course, those have nothing to do with it . . .

I feel much better now.

To go along with the distractions of losing Loki last week, I was beating my head against a wall because of a bug I couldn't find. Saturday I finally found it, and in the place I expected least: it's in the library function that indexes the damned table. Strip out the index, and it takes rather longer to run, but it can find every row in the table. Put the index back in, and it can't find anything past row 60,000 (of 60,327). Strip it back out, and you can again find it all.

That choke-on-row-60001 was a pernicious coincidence that had me knocking myself out looking for my own logic error; I've been drawing stuff out in blocks of 2500 rows, so it was croaking on the first row of the last block (and only partial block), which is almost always a signature of a stupid off-by-1 error in the block stride logic. So I spent the working portion of three days trying to run that down.

Turns out there's been a very recent bugfix update on this library, so maybe it's fixed (though the release notes don't mention this sort of thing directly). Time to update software and check.

Time Off

I urgently needed a few days off work, but I knew the Boss would not allow me to take a leave.

I thought that maybe if I acted "CRAZY" then he would tell me to take a few days off. So I hung upside down on the ceiling and made funny noises. My co-worker (who's blonde) asked me what I was doing?

I told her that I was pretending to be a light bulb so that the Boss would think I was "CRAZY" and give me a few days off. A few minutes later the Boss came into the office and asked, "What are you doing?" I told him I was a light bulb.

He said, "You are clearly stressed out. Go home and recuperate for a couple of days". I jumped down and walked out of the office.

When my co-worker (the blonde) followed me, the Boss asked her "...And where do you think you're going?"

She said, "I'm going home too, I can't work in the dark!"

Time Off

I urgently needed a few days off work, but I knew the Boss would not allow me to take a leave.

I thought that maybe if I acted "CRAZY" then he would tell me to take a few days off. So I hung upside down on the ceiling and made funny noises. My co-worker (who's blonde) asked me what I was doing?

I told her that I was pretending to be a light bulb so that the Boss would think I was "CRAZY" and give me a few days off. A few minutes later the Boss came into the office and asked, "What are you doing?" I told him I was a light bulb.

He said, "You are clearly stressed out. Go home and recuperate for a couple of days". I jumped down and walked out of the office.

When my co-worker (the blonde) followed me, the Boss asked her "...And where do you think you're going?"

She said, "I'm going home too, I can't work in the dark!"

:lol:

I've got a few ideas for new avatars; as I get them built, I'll test them out and see how they look.

First up, I thought that something more in keeping with the "patron of the pantheon" and "the first ascended" might be nice, so I combined a green "Hero hex" with a golden ankh and animated it.

Opinions? Thoughts? Catcalls?

I've got a few ideas for new avatars; as I get them built, I'll test them out and see how they look.

First up, I thought that something more in keeping with the "patron of the pantheon" and "the first ascended" might be nice, so I combined a green "Hero hex" with a golden ankh and animated it.

It's cool, but I think it is revolving too quickly. Can you slow it down some?

It's cool' date=' but I think it is revolving too quickly. Can you slow it down some?[/quote']

I can, but if I slow it down much it starts to "stutter" -- you can see the transitions between frames. (That's because it's a tradeoff between being a large number of frames -- good for smooth motion -- and having to squeeze it into 19.6k of file space.)

I'll try it slightly slower and post it for opinions.

It's cool' date=' but I think it is revolving too quickly. Can you slow it down some?[/quote']

Okay; the first pic is the same as the one I have posted for my avatar right now -- with a 3/100ths of a second delay between frames. The 2nd one has 4/100ths delay, and the 3rd one has 5/100ths delay. Even a difference of 1/100th of a second (going from 3/100ths to 4/100ths) means some jerkiness and "stuttering" is visible:

heroankh03a03.gif ---- heroankh03a04.gif ---- heroankh03a05.gif

I feel much better now.

Redux:

After bulletproofing the block-reading logic, I cut 3 frickin' hours off the test case runtime, from 3h 37m 41s to 0h 37m 48s. Probably more than that, because the latter run had the profiler going, and the former did not.

Now to comment out all the debugging output junk I put in.

Even before I read your message, I was thinking, "wow, great avatar, very cool, I'll have to mention it." So I'd say, it's great!

Even before I read your message' date=' I was thinking, "wow, great avatar, very cool, I'll have to mention it." So I'd say, it's great![/quote']

Thanks! :D Like I said, I've got a couple of ideas buzzing around, and they're getting "built" in the order it strikes me. This took a couple of hours -- probably longer than it should have -- but between the experimenting to get the effect I wanted, a lot of time making tiny 'tweaks' to the 'finished product' trying to get it to fit under 19.6k and not lose definition...plus the fact that I was doing it while dog-tired because I couldn't sleep and needed to do something, which led to slow progress 'cause I kept zoning out, and then kept having to go back and fix errors I'd inadvertently introduced...

But it's done! :celebrate

In a day or so I'll work on my next idea and get people's opinions of it. ;)