Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I hope the drummer's got endurance -- the announcement is another week away.

But thanks.

And no -- there was no upchucking. :)

I figured it would take at least that long. :) I certainly won't be waiting with bated breath. Luck to you!

And good on the no upchucking thing. That tends to be offputting.

Oh, and the Weather Underground, as well as archives of raw weather data and satellite images, are wonderful resources. :thumbup:

Mind you, it's not always needed ... two people drew the crescent moon with the crescent opening the wrong way. :doi:

Oh, and the Weather Underground, as well as archives of raw weather data and satellite images, are wonderful resources. :thumbup:

Mind you, it's not always needed ... two people drew the crescent moon with the crescent opening the wrong way. :doi:

My dad was at the Indianapolis Masonic temple where they had a mural of the night sky. He noticed The artist had inverted the Big dipper.

Oh' date=' and the Weather Underground, as well as archives of raw weather data and satellite images, are wonderful resources. :thumbup: [/quote'] this domestic terrorist group was into satellite images? :fear:

:D

Mind you' date=' it's not always needed ... two people drew the crescent moon with the crescent opening the wrong way. :doi:[/quote']

In my understanding*, you have a crescent moon 2 times in the (full-new-full) cycle. They are whenever it's near-new, but can be either as it's waxing or when it's waining. But in both cases, the crescent always opens in the same direction as the ecliptic; Either facing in progression of the moon for the Waning crescent, or facing the trailing of the moon for Waxing.

So I am left to think they drew the cresent opening in some other direction, like north or south...

*Forgive me, Cancer, if I mangled some of the terms -- I haven't taken any astronomy classes. By "facing the progression" I mean it opens in the direction the moon is travelling across the sky, and by the other I mean the opposite. :)

In my understanding*, you have a crescent moon 2 times in the (full-new-full) cycle. They are whenever it's near-new, but can be either as it's waxing or when it's waining. But in both cases, the crescent always opens in the same direction as the ecliptic; Either facing in progression of the moon for the Waning crescent, or facing the trailing of the moon for Waxing.

So I am left to think they drew the cresent opening in some other direction, like north or south...

*Forgive me, Cancer, if I mangled some of the terms -- I haven't taken any astronomy classes. By "facing the progression" I mean it opens in the direction the moon is travelling across the sky, and by the other I mean the opposite. :)

Yes, you have it right, the "horns" of the crescent moon are always on the side furthest from the Sun, as seen in the sky. So a crescent moon between New and 1st Q (waxing), seen in the evening, has the "horns" opening toward the east, while a crescent between 3rd Q and New (waning), seen in the morning, has them opening toward the west.

These guys got the "horns" opening toward the sun in their drawing at the time of the claimed observation. The nature of the assignment, whether they realize it or not, forces them to label their drawing with east-west directions. So, to get the opening side of the "horns" wrong means they could not possibly have been looking at the moon when they made the drawing, which means they must be faking the data and being utterly and comically clueless about it.

Got my course grades in with 90 minutes to spare. The registrar's auto-nag spammed me at 2 hours left, but they're all in.

Probably not as many unhappy students as I think deserve it, but oh well.

These guys got the "horns" opening toward the sun in their drawing at the time of the claimed observation.

Maybe they were using a viewing device that inverted the image? :rolleyes:;)

But this speaks of a serious lack of basic understanding of even light and shadows.