Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

. . . You guys are like nomads! Nomads' date=' I tell you![/quote']

Which? Archermoo, or me and Josh?

I feel out of touch. I never noticed that you were moving in the first place. Best of luck with it! Sounds like the weather is at least not being actively hostile. :)

We haven't talked about it a lot. It's mostly been evident in our irritability of late. We both tend to bite off people's heads if they look at us sideways once our books are packed. (The books are the first thing we pack, because they're the easiest.)

Indeed. Best of luck' date=' even though I think "nice" and "move" (the latter in the sense of changing lodgings) tend to be non-overlapping sets.[/quote']

Heh. No, no they don't. But it'll be nice when it's over. I'm looking forward to being moved.

Which? Archermoo, or me and Josh?

. . . All of yez!

Well, I don't know that nomad really describes it.

1998: Moved into a house that my brother and a friend owned

2003: Bought a house with my brother

2005: Brother gets wild hair up butt and decides to move to CA. We sell house and I move with him.

2006: Move into house in Concord with Keri

2007: Keri and I move to new house in Walnut Creek (that isn't owned by a total !@#$!@%*!@#$)

2008: Keri and I buy new house in Pittsburg

So not really nomadic overall, though that isn't a bad description for the last couple of years. Unless something drastic happens, we've settled down for the long haul this time. :D

We haven't talked about it a lot. It's mostly been evident in our irritability of late. We both tend to bite off people's heads if they look at us sideways once our books are packed. (The books are the first thing we pack, because they're the easiest.)

Ah, I feel better that I didn't notice then. :)

And see, books are the last thing I generally pack, also because they are the easiest. ;)

Total new topic: My life is in the process of a sudden change with great ramifications.

My daughter saw Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time last weekend at a sleepover with some friends. Life will never be the same. :)

I saw the bridge scene, and that was tasteless. Don't want to see anymore of that "flim".

. . . All of yez!

This will be my fifteenth move, so yeah. I'd be quite content to not have to move again until I can afford people to take care of all the middling details for me.

And see' date=' books are the last thing I generally pack, also because they are the easiest. ;)[/quote']

They're also the thing we can live without the longest. We keep the ones we're reading out, and pack those into the "overnight" bag. The others can just stay in the boxes until the bookshelves are in place. As they're also the thing that's currently taking up 31 boxes, I feel quite justified in packing them first.

This will be my fifteenth move, so yeah. I'd be quite content to not have to move again until I can afford people to take care of all the middling details for me.

I stopped counting moves many years ago. Hopefully we're done with them for at least a decade. With any luck, for the rest of our lives. :)

I stopped counting moves many years ago. Hopefully we're done with them for at least a decade. With any luck' date=' for the rest of our lives. :)[/quote']

This is NOT our last move, but hopefully we won't have to do this again for a while. And, with any luck, I'll have gotten Josh to DO something about all the clutter we've built up (after all, I just threw out all my dratted magazines), instead of just SAYING he'll do something about it. :mad:

This is NOT our last move' date=' but hopefully we won't have to do this again for a while. And, with any luck, I'll have gotten Josh to DO something about all the clutter we've built up (after all, I just threw out all my dratted magazines), instead of just SAYING he'll do something about it. :mad:[/quote']

But clutter is good. :)

Our promise to each other with moving into our own home was that everything gets unpacked. Some stuff might then be reboxed for storage, but everything gets taken out of boxes.

I've found lots of really old gaming stuff. My original AD&D books for one. My brother is the one that owned both the OD&D books and the Basic set we used, so I don't still have those. Also a board game called "King of the Mountain". :) And my original OGRE and GEV games...

Much less clutter?

No, it's the non-specificity.

You lose stuff when moving, both to deciding you don't want it enough to move it, as well as to breakage and pilferage.

However, when moving, if there is something you absolutely, positively want to be sure you keep, you can almost without fail succeed in keeping that something. Maybe two or three different somethings.

That's not true with a fire. There'll be stuff that you keep despite the fire (if only because you'd lost it under the car seat when the fire struck), but you have no control over what that stuff will be. And it very probably won't be the stuff you'd picked, either.

As someone who's done both' date=' let me advise you that three moves is NOT the same as a fire.[/quote']

Agreed. I'll always think of the fire when I look at the singed wedding photos they managed to sift out of the wreckage. :(

But clutter is good. :)

It is most distinctly NOT. Not when you have to box it up, carry and pack it into a truck, carry it back out and unpack it an average of once every nine months. (That's how often I've moved as an adult.) And the fact that we have more every time we move mystifies me. Where does it all come from?

We wound up renting the 24' truck this time around. Last time, we went with the recommended size, and wound up having to take a second trip. This time, we can't risk that. The trip is a bit long to have to do it twice. (It's 850 miles.)

It is most distinctly NOT. Not when you have to box it up, carry and pack it into a truck, carry it back out and unpack it an average of once every nine months. (That's how often I've moved as an adult.) And the fact that we have more every time we move mystifies me. Where does it all come from?

It's magic. Dwellings have magic on them that expand your stuff to fill up the available space. :)

We wound up renting the 24' truck this time around. Last time' date=' we went with the recommended size, and wound up having to take a second trip. This time, we can't risk that. The trip is a bit long to have to do it twice. (It's 850 miles.)[/quote']

Our move last month the movers filled most of a semi trailer. :eek: But then again it was a local move so it was only going to have our stuff in it. Which means they didn't need to be particularly efficient in filling it. :) Our move previous to that we did ourselves and had a 26' truck. We got all of the stuff that HAD to go on the truck in one trip. And then got everything else in multiple trips in multiple cars.

It's magic. Dwellings have magic on them that expand your stuff to fill up the available space. :)

Clearly. Josh kept trying to tell me that we'd be a lot less cluttered when we had room for everything. Then we got a decently big apartment, got rid of the dining room table, and set up one bedroom as an office/craft room/exercise room. It got so cluttered, we couldn't get to the exercise bike anymore.

I didn't have to say it, though. I just gave him a sidelong look as he picked his way around the piles, and he said, "I know, I know . . ." with a tired sigh.