Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

The brown tabby is ill. He seems to have trouble passing poo. Unclear what that means or what is causing it. The other three are coming around. They're pretty social for what I expect for ferals (which is what we were told they were) ... I went into the bathroom at 6AM, turned on the light, and they woke up, came out of their sleeping box one by one, purring. My wife has been working on cleaning them, and that's helped a lot, too.

Yeah, if I'd hit the age of 20 now instead of the mid-1970's, I'd probably have gone into something biochemical instead of astronomy. The kinds of "big issue" questions that they're addressing now are quite interesting.

The brown tabby is ill. He seems to have trouble passing poo. Unclear what that means or what is causing it. The other three are coming around. They're pretty social for what I expect for ferals (which is what we were told they were) ... I went into the bathroom at 6AM' date=' turned on the light, and they woke up, came out of their sleeping box one by one, purring. My wife has been working on cleaning them, and that's helped a lot, too.[/quote']

How old are they? Younger kittens have an easier time socializing to humans than older ones.

On socializing, at least with ones from feral moms, you want to get them at one month. Earlier, you have food issues, later socializing issues.

I just got back from an adoption event in Phoenix. Kind of slow, but four kittens went home, another one is pending. I had more people that I had to turn down than usual. Five people. Three declaw, one indoor/outdoor access, and one woman was drunk though I wasn't sure until she breathed on me...

Today on my way back, along with the cats from the adoption, I transported one FeLV cat to a new home here and some animals going to our Lifetime Care program. Three cats, two parakeets, and a flat tailed gecko.

I then stopped off at the Navaho dump's tire pile and looked for some kittens that were spotted a few days ago. No luck though.

We were told the kittens were about 4 weeks, but we know nothing about their history before they got to the shelter.

The brown tabby (whom my wife has dubbed "Ducky", at least for now) is better. Still not out of the woods yet, though. When she had them looked at yesterday, my wife was told that he (Ducky's male) and one of the others was dehydrated, so she's been giving them fluids (formula, canned food diluted with water). With luck they'll all be gaining weight in a day or two (two actually lost between Saturday and yesterday morning).

Also, the momcat from last spring's litter (the kittens were adopted in mid-June) was finally adopted herself yesterday.

Long story, but true, just about 20 minutes ago. Terrible joke at the end.

The espresso stand down in the atrium of one building I work in is named "An Ounce of Prevention". (This is in a cancer research center.) The name is in segments of letters (trios, I think) above the stand. Well, this morning, the last set ("ion") had fallen off and was sitting on the shade below its former place.

"Yes," the barrista told me, "We are now 'An Ounce of Prevent'."

"You really need to get that fixed," I replied. "Those free ions will kill you."

He hadn't had that one sprung on him yet.

Took kitten pics yesterday, but none were particularly good. Flash photography has real limits in this situation. I'll try to get something worth posting Saturday, when I'll be home with daylight coming in through the skywall.