Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I don't think you'd actually need sine or cosine to find it. I think Pythagoras would be sufficient.

Consider: The diameter of the pipe is 10 feet. Half its diameter (the radius) is 5 feet.

Half the circumference of the pipe (the bottom, where the chain is) is 5*pi. The length of the chain not touching the pipe is 40-5pi. This is the total length of chain from the hook to where it touches one side of the pipe and from the other side of the pipe back up to the hook (assuming the chain is tangent to the side of the pipe at its widest point). The distance from the hook to either side of the pipe is therefore half of 40-5pi, or 20-2.5pi.

This gives you the hypotenuse (20-2.5pi) and one side (5) of a right triangle. The distance from the center of the pipe to the hook is the other side, which you can find using Pythagoras. Subtract the radius of the pipe (5) from this result, and you have the distance from the hook to the top of the pipe.

Right?

Wrong (IMHO). The question is unsolvable, because you have the diameter of the pipe, which is irrelevant. What you need is the length. Here's an image of a pipe held by a chain sling to demonstrate the problem:

Pipe%20Chain%20Sling%20with%20npi.jpg

Although, there are other ways to sling a pipe, so perhaps it is solvable, except you don't know which method is used:

14026_20_1.jpg

My answer would have been "Insufficient information provided."

I didn't post the figure that came with the question since I don't have a scanner at hand, but I'll describe it.

Look at the pipe end-on, so you're looking at a circle. The chain is a single loop, running under the pipe, starting and ending at a hook above the pipe. So draw symmetric tangents to the circle which cross somewhere above the pipe, and that's where the hook is. Pipe outer diameter is specified as 10 feet. Total length of chain is specified as 40 feet.

Start by drawing a circle with center O. Draw a vertical diameter to that circle, which passes through the bottom (point B) and top (point T) of the circle, and extends upward to point H (the hook). Draw a tangent to the circle that passes through point H. Label the tangent point X. The radius of the circle = side OX = r.

The length of the arc from B to X, plus the length HX, sum to half the length of the chain, 20 feet. Let us call b (in radians) the angle BOX. The length of arc BX is simply r * b.

Draw right triangle HOX. Angle H is equal to (b - pi/2). The ratio HX/OX is equal to tan(H) = tan(b - pi/2), so HX = OX * tan(b - pi/2), and OX = r, so HX = r tan(b - pi/2).

From what we said above, r tan(b - pi/2) + r * b = 20 feet, and r = 5 feet, so we arrive at the transcendental equation

tan(b - pi/2) + b = 4.

Solve for angle b.

Finally, the quantity that was asked for is HT = HO - r. HO = HX / cos(b - pi/2).

As it was posted on the board upstairs' date=' "A decimal approximation will be sufficient, but explain all reasoning." Given that you have to solve a transcendental equation, I'd guess so.[/quote']

I haven't had the time to devote myself to cracking this just yet, but I want to post a musing about it.

Draw a radius where the outermost point is also the point where the suspending chain separates from the pipe, and measure the angle from that to the vertical. I call this the "Angle of Contact".

The Angle of Contact can vary between zero degrees (when the chain is the same length as the pipe's circumference, and 90 degrees (an infinitely long chain). Thus, IMO it seems that the distance from the top of the pipe to the hook relative to the *extra* length of chain (i.e., the part greater than the pipe's circumference) is a tangent-like function.

But I could be way, way off.

Once, I derived a formula for a problem with a very similar looking diagram. Imagine an astronaut approaching an unexplored planet. He can measure the angular size of the planet, and his radar tells him how far he is from the ground directly in line with his ship. He needs to calculate the planet's diameter from these two pieces of information.

EDIT: I haven't peeked under Cancer's spoiler tag yet. :)