Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

Though Perl works pretty well off a USB drive.

I'm sure it does. But I should have said "Install or Run", so that would also be a no-no for my work. Not to mention I'd have to leave the USB drive here on my days off to keep the script working all the time...

Mordac' date=' the Preventer of Information Services, has a nearly universal presence.[/quote']

I just got my work laptop back after turning it in last month to get reimaged. I've been using my personal laptop running Linux since then. I think the work one may be used for emergency only.

who?

Mordac is a recurrent character in Dilbert, who issues diktats that make it almost impossible to get anything done with computers at work. Approximately all his inevitably asinine policies are real-world cases.

Mordac is a recurrent character in Dilbert' date=' who issues diktats that make it almost impossible to get anything done with computers at work. Approximately all his inevitably asinine policies are real-world cases.[/quote']

ah, gotcha.

Well' date=' not all IT departments are like that (says someone who has worked in IT for quite a while). Though it is unfortunately common.[/quote']

Let me tell you it was a shock when I had to rely on an IT department that acted badly.

Now:

I like how one person has admin privileges on her machine because the IT guy likes her and just gave them to her. She doesn't know what to do with them. Me, I had to send a tech support request so that my power settings don't shut off my laptop in five minutes. (when connected to power even)

If I had to rely on that laptop for work, I would broken thru security on it, but I have my own laptop to work on. (Which for some reason, is perfectly OK to hook up to the corporate net...)

Let me tell you it was a shock when I had to rely on an IT department that acted badly.

Now:

I like how one person has admin privileges on her machine because the IT guy likes her and just gave them to her. She doesn't know what to do with them. Me, I had to send a tech support request so that my power settings don't shut off my laptop in five minutes. (when connected to power even)

If I had to rely on that laptop for work, I would broken thru security on it, but I have my own laptop to work on. (Which for some reason, is perfectly OK to hook up to the corporate net...)

Mordac just hasn't caught you using your own laptop yet.

9827.strip.gif

Back in the late 1800s and early 1900s, when retiring British admirals, colonels, and brigadiers who had the means to go anywhere in the Empire to live out the rest of their days, a remarkable number chose Vancouver and environs. It shows. Victoria BC even more so. They know their tea.

I prefer tea leaves' date=' soaked with a sieve ball.[/quote']

I generally prefer loose tea as well. Assuming I'm not the only one drinking it I'll just make a pot with the leaves loose in it and strain it as it comes out of the spout. But if I'm making just a cup tea bags are nice and convenient.