Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

I managed to get them all graded and returned (well, to those students who came to class yesterday, anyway). And I didn't need a drink while I was doing it. Then again, I'd steeled myself more than usual for the task.

Simply amazing how few people know how rockets work. >90% of them think it's the exhaust plume pushing against the ground.

Sounds familiar...

That Professor Goddard, with his 'chair' in Clark College and the countenancing of the Smithsonian Institution, does not know the relation of action to reaction, and of the need to have something better than a vacuum against which to react - to say that would be absurd. Of course he only seems to lack the knowledge ladled out daily in high schools.

:whistle:

Auguste Comte, the guy who set out Positivism. He made a list of things "Forever unknowable to the mind of Man" (because we'd never be able to get real data on them). Among them was the composition of the stars.

... Which is my research specialty. :D

Auguste Comte, the guy who set out Positivism. He made a list of things "Forever unknowable to the mind of Man" (because we'd never be able to get real data on them). Among them was the composition of the stars.

... Which is my research specialty. :D

"Forever unknowable to the mind of Man" I wonder if consciousness is on that list. :) ditto with God. :P

I managed to get them all graded and returned (well, to those students who came to class yesterday, anyway). And I didn't need a drink while I was doing it. Then again, I'd steeled myself more than usual for the task.

Simply amazing how few people know how rockets work. >90% of them think it's the exhaust plume pushing against the ground.

Well, no wonder so many people thought that an airplane on a treadmill couldn't take off!

[ATTACH]32834[/ATTACH]

I just had another thought about this. These "people" should pause to consider the question: "If so, then how does the shuttle get back down once it is up in orbit?"