Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

All but three people (of 42) have picked up their exams. Those three incluse the two bottom scores' date=' and one of those tied for 5th-worst. This pattern if fairly common.[/quote']

Well, it would be hard to do that bad and not know it. And I can see not being overly enthused about picking up a test you know you did badly on...

The impression it conveys is that you don't care. Which is probably accurate, but if/when they do figure out they're on their way to failing the course, it doesn't instill a lot of sympathy in the instructor.

The impression it conveys is that you don't care. Which is probably accurate' date=' but if/when they do figure out they're on their way to failing the course, it doesn't instill a lot of sympathy in the instructor.[/quote']

True. If given the benefit of the doubt with regard to passing them; in these instances, you'd probably fail them.

About right?

The impression it conveys is that you don't care. Which is probably accurate' date=' but if/when they do figure out they're on their way to failing the course, it doesn't instill a lot of sympathy in the instructor.[/quote']

Oh I didn't mean to imply I thought it was a SMART thing to do. Just not a surprising one...

:)

I've linked this before' date=' but here's Advice for Undergraduates. Yes, I am among the "many cynical friends" mentioned in the post as contributors.

Heh. I've read papers in class before. But only in 300+ person lecture halls, and only in the back. Even so, I did get called out for a public humiliation once doing it, in Organic Chemistry. The professor asked me a question that I didn't hear. When she got my attention, she asked for the answer again. I asked her to repeat the question. She asked me if I was paying attention the first time. I said no. She repeated the question. I answered it, correctly.

Usually I paid more attention during lectures, even in the large halls. But she a) was a really boring speaker, and B) lectured directly out of the text. Which I'd already read. I only went to the lecture in case she made an announcement or on the off chance she covered something that wasn't in the book. She did the former occasionally, she never did the later. The TA for My lab section on the other hand was great. I learned a lot more from her than from the professor.

I'm at a smaller institution, so my classes are never larger than 60 and usually no bigger than 45. That's "in your face" enough I never have problems where with paper-readers. At the Enormous State Universities I've been at before, always lots of newspapers being read. It got so that it didn't bug me at all, as long as they were quiet. The guy whose blog that link is has never got used to it (he's at a large private university) so he tees off on it.

I go nonlinear about cheating. The item there about burning at the stake? That one's all mine.

I'm at a smaller institution' date=' so my classes are never larger than 60 and usually no bigger than 45. That's "in your face" enough I never have problems where with paper-readers. At the Enormous State Universities I've been at before, always lots of newspapers being read. It got so that it didn't bug me at all, as long as they were quiet. The guy whose blog that link is has never got used to it (he's at a large private university) so he tees off on it.[/quote']

Yeah, in classes that small I certainly wouldn't do it. Heck, I doubt I'd want to. But there isn't really any interaction in a 300 person lecture hall. Particularly not with a boring lecturer talking directly out of a text you have already read.

I go nonlinear about cheating. The item there about burning at the stake? That one's all mine.

I though I remembered that. And I couldn't agree more. My favorite example of stupid cheating was in my Physics class. The lecturer gave 10 question multiple choice tests. Everyone got the same questions, they were just in a different order depending on which form you got. And he color coded the tests to make it easier to tell which was which. Not surprisingly there were a few people that felt the need to cheat, and the color coding made it easy. So on one test he printed them all on the same color paper, though he still had different forms. There were several people who had dismal scores when graded with the proper key, but perfect scores when graded with the wrong key.

They weren't burned at the stake, but they were expelled...

I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually take notes on a computer (or PDA, etc) during a lecture. There's a lot of Freecell being played, lots of YouTube with the sound muted, etc. But nothing having to do with class.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually take notes on a computer (or PDA' date=' etc) during a lecture. There's a lot of Freecell being played, lots of YouTube with the sound muted, etc. But nothing having to do with class.[/quote']

I've done it in the past. But then again they were programming classes...

Yeah, programming classes could be different. So could things on using certain software, like CAD and so on. But regular classes, as I said, I don't think I ever seen it.

Hmm. Maybe we can talk L. Marcus to taking his laptop to his physiology class and making disparaging remarks on these boards during lecture.

Yeah, programming classes could be different. So could things on using certain software, like CAD and so on. But regular classes, as I said, I don't think I ever seen it.

Hmm. Maybe we can talk L. Marcus to taking his laptop to his physiology class and making disparaging remarks on these boards during lecture.

That would be awesome! :)

Heh. I've read papers in class before. But only in 300+ person lecture halls, and only in the back. Even so, I did get called out for a public humiliation once doing it, in Organic Chemistry. The professor asked me a question that I didn't hear. When she got my attention, she asked for the answer again. I asked her to repeat the question. She asked me if I was paying attention the first time. I said no. She repeated the question. I answered it, correctly.

Usually I paid more attention during lectures, even in the large halls. But she a) was a really boring speaker, and B) lectured directly out of the text. Which I'd already read. I only went to the lecture in case she made an announcement or on the off chance she covered something that wasn't in the book. She did the former occasionally, she never did the later. The TA for My lab section on the other hand was great. I learned a lot more from her than from the professor.

I'm at a smaller institution, so my classes are never larger than 60 and usually no bigger than 45. That's "in your face" enough I never have problems where with paper-readers. At the Enormous State Universities I've been at before, always lots of newspapers being read. It got so that it didn't bug me at all, as long as they were quiet. The guy whose blog that link is has never got used to it (he's at a large private university) so he tees off on it.

I had a lecturer and tutor (two different people) who I could understand so during the tutorials I sat at the back of the class and read something that interested me -- the courses offered at Oxford University. :D Participation of the tutorials was 10% of the final grade, and I'm sure I only got 40% for the overall subject but ended up passing it.

That would be awesome! :)
My lectures have finished for this semester with just the final exam to go, other I would be up for it. Maybe next year, I have one class to go then I graduate again!

Nonlinear as in geometric progression? ;)