Longest Running Thread EVER

Re: Longest Running Thread EVER

"There ought to be an 'impatiently drumming fingers' smiley' date='" Cancer said, waiting for his teakettle to come to a boil.[/quote']

"I can agree with that", opined archermoo who is forced to admit that he already had his hot caffeinated beverage for the morning.

How can something be a challenge if there isn't any way to fail at it?

Something can be a challenge, and everything pursuing that goal -- even if you do not achieve what you set out to, can still be viewed as successful.

Eg: I would like to read some of the works of Joseph Campbell: The Hero with a Thousand Faces, and his The Masks of God series (Primitive Mythology, Oriental Mythology, Occidental Mythology, and Creative Mythology). Due to the nature of material I would find it challenging, and finish reading all the way through these 5 books would be classed as "success", not finishing it a "fail".

However, whatever I do learn by reading it will be enlightening. And considering that before I started I had nothing, anything gained is a successful acquisition. Yes it may be incomplete, but that doesn't mean it is any less successful. Like any journey, it is the road travelled that makes it worthwhile, not the finish line. And yes, this does require a certain mindset that redefines "success" and "failure" to emphasis the positive and discard the negative.

:)

Most times you can't climb Everest on the first attempt; does this make this attempt any less successful?

Most times you can't climb Everest on the first attempt; does this make this attempt any less successful?

Yes, in fact it does.

If you do not succeed in doing what you set out to do, then you were not successful at it. This doesn't mean that you are a bad person. It just means that you didn't succeed. Often we learn more from our failures than we do from our successes. But that doesn't mean that they weren't failures.

The two Mars rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, have been going for more than 2000 days. Opportunity's "odometer reading" is about 18,300 meters. Spirit's is about 7700 meters.

Both have designed lifetimes of 90 days.

After taking him into the shelter on Saturday, my wife brought Bugs back home. He wasn't doing well there, and he is a special medical needs case. He is completely tailless, and that condition is often accompanied by physiological problems with his hind end because the nerves and spinal column end up being incomplete. These are problems he has: he, ah, doesn't defecate quite right, and you end up having to clean his bottom every so often, and apply ointment (Vaseline will do).

He's a handsome lynx point (I'll load a picture onto my thumb drive and post it in a day or two), and a very personable little cat, but probably he'll never get adopted, and it takes daily attention or he'll get into horrible shape very quickly.

I've caught myself geeking out over houses -- I'm gonna build one when I get my license. I'm kinda drawn to the kinda rustic' date=' down-to-earth look, like this. Red-and white house -- that's tantamount to a white picket fence over here. :)

it is red :straight: