How Many Points?

Hawksmoor

Hello HEROdom Assembled!

I am planning a nice little Suicide Squad game and I have a question. I have a Prison/Base of Operations for the team. Now the trick is that like 90% of the time that the base is even in the game as a setting at all, the PCs are goind to be in the cells or cafeteria.

Now the base has all sorts of nifty gadgets, like Gel Cannons (AE1HEX entangles), Sonic Sirens (Flash:hearing AECONE), and Variguns (8d6 EB fully varible SFX), Radio communications, and a massive Forcewall (actually DEF costs END, VISIBLE)

Now the question is that the Players are not going to be the ones that control the toys, heck they don't even get free range inside the base. Given that how much of the 530pt BASE should they pay for?

Hawksmoor

Re: How Many Points?

None.

A base that costs points is sort of like a Focus: it means that it is totally under the character(s)' control - at least most of the time. Paying points for a GM-created plot device (which this sounds like) doesn't make much sense to me.

Assuming the "base" is the prison that they're normally held in until mission time, I wouldn't make 'em pay for it. Without knowing exactly what the scoop is, I'm guessing they're confined to the base when not going on missions. That means the "nifty gadgets" can be used against 'em if they try and get out of line. It'd be just plain mean to make 'em pay even a few points for a base that can be used against 'em like that.

I'll go with 'none' on this one, too.

So far this is what I thought as I was actually "building" the base. As I bought the Enhanced x2 hardened (37 DEF) cells I was thinking that wow this is a nice place to hide from Dr. Destroyer, until the 45 INT DR. D decides to just leave you to rot inside.

But Imagine if something follows the team back from a mission and the Squad uses the weapons against it. Or the Smart members of the squad are given Custodian access to the labs? Sure the power dampers are on and a trio of variblaster armed guards are watching you, but you still get the complementary skill roll of the lab. Is that not worth at least a few points?

Hawksmoor

What are the cells made of adamantium , 37 double hardened , this is effectively indestructible even for JLA types. Are the defences so high cos of the Good Dr's RKA which i believe is the highest rated standard power of any character.

if you want them pay for the base just give them other campaign disads over the normal limit, say In prison, subject to orders, prison cant be escaped from, Hunted Dr D.

What are the cells made of adamantium , 37 double hardened , this is effectively indestructible even for JLA types. Are the defences so high cos of the Good Dr's RKA which i believe is the highest rated standard power of any character.

if you want them pay for the base just give them other campaign disads over the normal limit, say In prison, subject to orders, prison cant be escaped from, Hunted Dr D.

Well I did not buy Lack of Weakness for the base or Power Defense. You could Transform the walls or keep focusing on them until they pop. But the Cells are MEANT to keep almost anyone this side of STRENGTH (Tarot) inside.

As to the Material: I think Osmium alloy with Force Feild Structural support is enough don't you?

As to the other suggested limitations I have them.

Supervillain : Reputation

Supervillain: Social Limitation

Watched: Damocles Directive

I was balancing the Base and Vehicles with 30 Physical Limitation equivalent to a cortex bomb.

Hawksmoor

Okay, so the Base isn't actually the character's?

That's a Membership and/or Security Clearance Perk. Depending upon how little influence/access to the facility's functions they have, this could be really cheep.

If all they can do is visit the prisons and eat at the cafeteria, but otherwise don't have clearance for anything else, it's probably worth no more than a Security Clearance 1-3. If they receive other benifits (such a free food or a place to hang out) they might have Membership 1-3 too.

I would definitely have them pay for that portion applicable to cases/battles outside the base. Beyond that, as they have no control over it, about the only thing I'd probably make them pay for might be stuff they want to have influence over (and even then it's a lim if it's only "influence" and not control) or stuff that you are going to control but really will be so useful to them that you think they'd WANT to pay for it. In that latter category I think if there's stuff that's going to greatly enhance your scientist or stuff that's going to be used all the time. Let's say, for example, you are running a street-level game and you really wnat people to heal normally UNLESS they are in the base AND you intend to see them take a good bit of damge; then it's worth splitting the cost with them on the "Super Hospital" within the base that will basically be necessary to them.

PS/EDIT - in other words, that which you will be using for plot control and moving the game along and your own fun as GM, I say don't make them pay for. The rest that really benefits them but isn't going to be toyed with potentially by you makes more sense for them to pay for - but if they can't control even that, factor that in.

Hello HEROdom Assembled!

I am planning a nice little Suicide Squad game and I have a question. I have a Prison/Base of Operations for the team. Now the trick is that like 90% of the time that the base is even in the game as a setting at all, the PCs are goind to be in the cells or cafeteria.

Now the base has all sorts of nifty gadgets, like Gel Cannons (AE1HEX entangles), Sonic Sirens (Flash:hearing AECONE), and Variguns (8d6 EB fully varible SFX), Radio communications, and a massive Forcewall (actually DEF costs END, VISIBLE)

Now the question is that the Players are not going to be the ones that control the toys, heck they don't even get free range inside the base. Given that how much of the 530pt BASE should they pay for?

Hawksmoor

I'd have to echo dust Raven on this one, this is more of a membership/security clearance thing. Even if they could use some of the toys if someone followed them home, or even attacked the prison to get at them. One thing to remember, for a Suicide game the PC's aren't even going to want to stay, their doing this as part of lessening their sentences and like.

So, ultimately the only way I'd make the characters pay for it as a base is if they start the game by taking the prison over. And that's a whole different can of worms :D