GMs: PC Scrutiny & Acceptance

Magmarock

Guest Worldmaker

Re: GMs: PC Scrutiny & Acceptance

Worldmaker' date=' isnt' that what assigning Negative Rep is all about?[/quote']

Doug, how about we go back to the original topic rather than you trying to provoke me into an argument? I'm not going to let you; unlike some people, I don't do that anymore. You're going to have to go somewhere else to exercise your "smug condescension" muscles.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting discussion.

I've played in Magmarok's (briefly) and in Zornwil's (quite a while) games, and the games do indeed reflect the philosophies portrayed by these folks.

Oh! Do tell? Which PC did you run? You got me curious now...

I should mention, for everyone's benefit that, although our game runs with the same underlying principles, we trade off on GMs on a regular basis. While I've stated my views in the first person, it is my entire group that upholds these ideals, not just me. Nothing changes radically just by switching off..

Back on topic:

Regarding DNPCs:

How much GM input is done on DNPCs in your games?

Does the Player only supply the concept and, perhaps, the name?

With the GM filling in all the blanks?

Or do you, as GM, required the DNPCs to be fleshed out to a certain extent by the Player?

Has anyone ever seen a revolving group of DNPCs, designated "Girlfriends"? If so, did you consider that a legitimate Disad?

Please offer up examples of what you think makes a good DNPC, and a bad DNPC and why...

Mags

Guest Worldmaker

Regarding DNPCs:

How much GM input is done on DNPCs in your games?

Does the Player only supply the concept and, perhaps, the name?

With the GM filling in all the blanks?

Or do you, as GM, required the DNPCs to be fleshed out to a certain extent by the Player?

Has anyone ever seen a revolving group of DNPCs, designated "Girlfriends"? If so, did you consider that a legitimate Disad?

Please offer up examples of what you think makes a good DNPC, and a bad DNPC and why...

The player has 100% authority when it comes to the creation of DNPCs, and in fact if he or she puts a DNPC on the character sheet is expected to supply a full writeup (background and character sheet) for the DNPC.

The revolving DNPC idea is a long-established convention in the GGU.

Good DNPCs have to more than just comic relief sidekicks and sick aunts. I mean, story after story of Foggy Nelson the Jolly Fat Bumbler get boring after awhile. Sooner or later you have to include his abortive run for the Senate, his brush with loan sharks, and so on.

Doug' date=' how about we go back to the original topic rather than you trying to provoke me into an argument? I'm not going to let you; unlike some people, I don't do that anymore. You're going to have to go somewhere else to exercise your "smug condescension" muscles.[/quote']Provoking you?

You are arguing with me. Hello, "smug condescension"!

You didn't like me taking up your time with Magamarok and so I explained my motives. You engaged in ad hominem attacks. I responded by explaining that I understand why you feel the need to do so. You assigned me negative rep :winkgrin: (and I do condescend to people who do so) and I made fun of it. If you noticed, I do think that your intended use of the thread is quite productive. I also think it's productive to respond to silly dismissals of people's opinions you do not share, thus the whole issue that I and a few others have with Magmarok's ability to be insulting and then blame others for noticing.

DNPCs require that they interest the player and the GM. That's the trick sometimes. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule for who does the most fleshing out. I support the idea of a submission from either side and then a consideration if both like the DNPC to build the DNPC in an integrated fashion to meet the objectives of the player and the GM.

Oh! Do tell? Which PC did you run? You got me curious now...

Byrd Jackson - "The Bird"

"The Bird" was based on a follower from Zornwil's game (Bob Rogers), who I thought would be fun to flesh out - a disabled African American businessman with very strong contacts and social skills, and with a very positive outlook on what can be achieved by anyone with the guts to try their very hardest. He was very conservative politically (and a prominent player in state politics), but (or perhaps "and" depending on how you feel about politics) his faith in the human spirit was boundless. I thought it would be interesting to put him in a set of powered armor, and see how things turned out.

I absolutely hate it when a PC has Secret ID and a Family member for a DNPC. For example, Aunt May would NOT fly for me with Spiderman. She is able to take care of herself and does not need PP's support. And no one knows that Spiderman = Peter Parker so can't truly target her.

Revolving DNPCs have always been fine with me, revolving Hunted as well. If anything a revolving DNPC is easier to work into certain adventurers.

As for Aunt May, I'm not sure I understand your objection to her. She is a NPC that PP feels compelled to protect. She is somewhat dependant on him, being an elderly widow with a heart condition. She actually has been targetted by those that bust his secret ID, sometimes her actions have placed her in danger that Spiderman had to get her out of. DNPCs don't, IMO, hve to helpless or totally dependant on the PC in all ways just be someone that is endangered that you will protect.

Not trying to be argumentative with the next question. What d you feel would be a more appropriate way to represent there relationship? A psychological limitation, perhaps? And what do you feel would be a suitable DNPC for a character with Spiderman (or anyone with a secret ID)?

The player has 100% authority when it comes to the creation of DNPCs, and in fact if he or she puts a DNPC on the character sheet is expected to supply a full writeup (background and character sheet) for the DNPC.

The revolving DNPC idea is a long-established convention in the GGU.

Good DNPCs have to more than just comic relief sidekicks and sick aunts. I mean, story after story of Foggy Nelson the Jolly Fat Bumbler get boring after awhile. Sooner or later you have to include his abortive run for the Senate, his brush with loan sharks, and so on.

Jack, posted below are the four DNPCs for my character Zl'f. I'm curious as to whether these NPCs would be acceptable in the GGU? I tried to make believable character who would provide some plot hooks for my GMs. Too much detail? Not enough?

Dr. Hrolf Gräfeldr, PhD Professor of Medieval History, University of Oslo

SKILLS:

3 LINGUIST:

0 Norwegian (Native)

1 Old Norse (Fully Fluent)

2 Medieval Latin (Fully Fluent)

2 English (Fully Fluent)

1 Danish (Idiomatic)

0 Swedish (Fluent)

1 Icelandic (Fully Fluent)

2 German (Fully Fluent)

3 SCHOLAR:

6 KS: Vikings 15-

4 : Norse History 14-

4 : Norse Prehistory 14-

2 : Norse Sagas 13-

2 : Nordic Runes 13-

2 : Medieval European History 13-

2 : Archaeology 13-

1 Familiarity: Rifles

4 +2 Rifles

1 TF: Cross-Country Skiing

3 PS: Archaeologist 14-

1 Reputation: World-Famous Archaeologist

Born in 1950, Dr. Hrolf Gräfeldr is 6'4" tall, weighs 220 lbs., has graying reddish-blonde hair and beard, gray eyes, and wears round wire rimmed glasses. He generally wears casual wool sweaters and alpine boots, and is still considered quite handsome. A Professor of Medieval History at the University of Oslo, Professor Gräfeldr holds several doctorates and is one of the world's leading authorities on the Norsemen. Passionate about his work, like many academics he assumes everyone finds his specialty as fascinating as he does. Although Hrolf has appeared on many television programs about the Vikings and is the author of several well respected books and numerous treatises on the Norsemen he is by no means an "ivory tower" intellectual, and spends time almost every summer at archaeological digs throughout northern Europe and Britain. Unlike many scholars, Dr. Gräfeldr quite enjoys getting his hands dirty rediscovering Norse history.

His hobbies include hiking and cross-country skiing, both of which he enjoys along with his wife. A formidable athlete in his youth, Hrolf is still a fit and powerful man. As a college student he competed in biathlons, and still enjoys occasionally shooting his old 6.5mm Swedish caliber competition-style rifle. He is very devoted to his wife and children. He has a bluff but kindly personality with a dry sense of humor, and is popular with his graduate students (He seldom teaches undergraduates.) and most of his colleagues. Dr. Gräfeldr knows nothing of Elena's true identity; he knows her only as Pavla Sergetov and treats her as if she were his own flesh and blood daughter. As part of Elena's carefully constructed alternate identity, the supposedly 20-year-old Russian émigré Pavla Sergetov was at one time under the foster care of the Gräfeldrs, although she is now legally an adult and thus no longer in foster care.

Disadvantages:

10 Age 40+

10 Absentminded

15 Often gets enthralled with what he is doing

Gyda Gräfeldr, Business Manager, Europa 2000 Foundation World Headquarters

SKILLS:

0 Norwegian (Native)

4 German (Idiomatic)

3 English (Fully Fluent)

7 Bureaucratics 13-

5 P : Administration 13-

1 TF: Cross-Country Skiing

5 KS: Gourmet Cooking 13-

3 : European Birds 11-

Born in 1960, Gyda is 5'8" tall and weighs 130 lbs., has long blonde hair (Usually kept braided) and blue eyes. Gyda lived in Germany for several years as a child (Her father was a senior metallurgist for Krupp Stahlwerke in Rheinhausen), and thus speaks German idiomatically. A former Miss Norway (1979), Gyda is still strikingly attractive and retains her trim figure. Gyda is quite intelligent and has a Master's Degree in Business Administration. Her hobbies include gourmet cooking, bird watching, cross-country skiing, and hiking. (She met her husband-to-be in a student hiking club in 1980, they married in 1982). Gyda is much more practical than her husband and generally handles the family finances as well as the (seldom required) disciplining of their children. She is active in a number of local charities, including the local Humane Society. While Gyda is normally a warm and friendly woman, she can turn into an ice queen in an instant if angered. Gyda has largely adopted Elena and treats her as a second daughter. Like her husband, Gyda has no idea of Pavla's true identity, although she has come to suspect that there is probably more to Pavla's living in Norway than she has been told.

Disadvantages:

10 Tries to "mother" everyone

Inge Gräfeldr, Graduate Student/Member Norwegian Olympic Ski Team

SKILLS:

0 Norwegian (Native)

3 English (Fully Fluent)

3 Russian (Fully Fluent)

13 Downhill Skiing 17-

1 TF: Cross Country Skiing

1 : Horseback Riding

Born in September 1983, Inge is 5'10" tall, weighs 125 lbs., and has shoulder-length blonde hair and gray eyes. Tall and svelte, Inge has inherited her mother's beauty along with her father's love of athletics. A leading member of the Norwegian Olympic women's ski team, Inge won a Silver Medal in the 2004 Winter Olympics and has great hopes for the 2008 games. Although she is a superb all-around skier, Inge loves hot-dogging best and will only cross-country ski if held at gunpoint, a fact that drives her parents crazy. A graduate student at the University of Oslo, Inge is currently working on her Master’s Degree in Medieval History and she plans to follow in her father's footsteps and become an archaeologist. (She has already accompanied her father on several summer excavations.)

Inge shares her bedroom with Elena; the two girls have become best friends and are nearly inseparable whenever both are in Oslo. On weekends the girls often take the hovercraft ferry across the Skägerrak to go shopping in Copenhagen, or drive out to the Thorssen mansion to go horseback riding or swimming. (The much shorter Elena is often mistaken for Inge's younger sister, a fact the mischievous girls are quick to capitalize upon.) Elena has been teaching Inge Russian and she has learned to speak it quite well. Inge has a friendly and exuberant personality and never seems to stop moving, character traits she shares with Elena. Inge knows Elena's true identity, that she possesses paranormal powers, and that she is a superheroine called Zl'f; a fact that would greatly irritate the Director and absolutely horrify the Chief of Security.

Disadvantages:

10 Rivalry: Skiers (Must prove she is the best)

10 Watched: Norwegian Olympic Team

Eirik Gräfeldr, High School Student

SKILLS:

0 Norwegian (Native)

2 English (Fluent)

3 KS: American Sports Cars 13-

5 Computer Programming 13-

2 KS: MidGuard 11-

1 TF: Cross-Country Skis

Eirik is 5'11", weighs 145 lbs., with reddish-blonde hair, gray eyes and round wire-rimmed glasses. Born five years later (October 1988) than his sister, Eirik is a fairly typical teenager: Good looking but shy around girls, physically uncoordinated and with an unnecessarily poor self image. Unlike his father and sister, Eirik has no talent for athletics but is fairly skillful with computers. Eirik is something of a loner, and enjoys long solo hikes or cross country skiing in the hills near their home. His true passion is American sports cars, about which he can spout reams of data. Eirik has developed a serious crush on Elena, and spies on her constantly. He also has a peephole into the girls' bedroom, and it was through this that he first learned about Elena's superhuman powers as he watched her change into her superheroine costume and leap out the second story window late one evening in 2001. After that he kept his eyes and ears open and eventually learned quite a bit more about her powers and adventures. He keeps careful track of any appearance by Zl'f or MidGuard, and has accumulated a surprisingly complete scrapbook about the team and it's activities. Eirik is fascinated both with Elena’s beauty and her exciting lifestyle as a prominent superheroine. He is fairly bright, and just exactly what he will eventually surmise about MidGuard and its relationship with the Europa 2000 Foundation can only be conjectured. Elena is very fond of Eirik; she recognizes his crush for what it is and is (nearly) always pleasant towards him (He can be quite a pest at times!). She regards him as a younger brother. Despite his eccentricities, Eirik is basically a good kid. He adores Elena and would never do anything to cause her harm; he hopes to someday impress Elena with how long he has kept her secret.

Disadvantages:

10 Teenager

15 Has a Crush on Elena

Not trying to be argumentative with the next question. What d you feel would be a more appropriate way to represent there relationship? A psychological limitation' date=' perhaps? And what do you feel would be a suitable DNPC for a character with Spiderman (or anyone with a secret ID)?[/quote']

I don't find you argumentative at all. I'll explain a little bit more.

1. Enemies do now know who Peter Park is so realistically can't target Aunt May.

2. Aunt May is capable of taking care of herself. Peter Parker doesn't pay her bills or anything like that. She can survive basic living on her own.

3. Peter Parker is a family man and tries to be there for Aunt May. This is a Psychological Limitation, not a DNPC. Aunt May could call a taxi if she needed to get to an appointment. It is Peter that tries to be there for her, not Aunt May needing Peter to be there.

4. DNPC's are 8-, 11- or 14 and should come up accordingly. Aunt May does not go out of her way to get into situations that could require rescue. Which means that either the GM has to make up something constantly, or it has to be written off another way. (e.g. Spiderman, you cannot help in this scene right now because you are in Peter Parker mode taking Aunt May for a check up)

5. Compare this to Lois Lane. Everyone knows that there is a connection some how between Lois Lane and Superman. She also goes out of her way to do Investigive reporting which means it much more plausable to fit in a "Lois Lane is a Hostage" bit. Plus you can have people target Lois to get to Superman where with Aunt May, you can't.

The only thing Aunt May really does is bind Peter Parker to the city, which is MORE of a psychological limitation than a DNPC issue.

1. Enemies do now know who Peter Park is so realistically can't target Aunt May.

2. Aunt May is capable of taking care of herself. Peter Parker doesn't pay her bills or anything like that. She can survive basic living on her own.

3. Peter Parker is a family man and tries to be there for Aunt May. This is a Psychological Limitation, not a DNPC. Aunt May could call a taxi if she needed to get to an appointment. It is Peter that tries to be there for her, not Aunt May needing Peter to be there.

4. DNPC's are 8-, 11- or 14 and should come up accordingly. Aunt May does not go out of her way to get into situations that could require rescue. Which means that either the GM has to make up something constantly, or it has to be written off another way. (e.g. Spiderman, you cannot help in this scene right now because you are in Peter Parker mode taking Aunt May for a check up)

5. Compare this to Lois Lane. Everyone knows that there is a connection some how between Lois Lane and Superman. She also goes out of her way to do Investigive reporting which means it much more plausable to fit in a "Lois Lane is a Hostage" bit. Plus you can have people target Lois to get to Superman where with Aunt May, you can't.

The only thing Aunt May really does is bind Peter Parker to the city, which is MORE of a psychological limitation than a DNPC issue.

That is an interesting line of thought. I'll have to roll that around for a bit, but we might have another "Is Thor's Hammer -really- a focus?" thing here. My group debated for 3 hours about that.

Guest Worldmaker

I absolutely hate it when a PC has Secret ID and a Family member for a DNPC. For example' date=' Aunt May would NOT fly for me with Spiderman. She is able to take care of herself and does not need PP's support. And no one knows that Spiderman = Peter Parker so can't truly target her.[/quote']

Who says they have to target her for Aunt May to be an effective DNPC?

Aunt May has heart problems... Spiderman's life is complicated. Aunt May starts dating one of Spiderman's enemies... Spiderman's life is complicated. One of Aunt May's boarders has a gambling problem and mafia types are beginning to poke around her house... Spiderman's life is complicated. And the list goes on.

Guest Worldmaker

Jack' date=' posted below are the four DNPCs for my character Zl'f. I'm curious as to whether these NPCs would be acceptable in the GGU? I tried to make believable character who would provide some plot hooks for my GMs. Too much detail? Not enough?[/quote']

As written they'd be considered incomplete. We basically ask the same amount of detail as we do for every other NPC... which is basically the same amount of detail that we ask of PCs.

Who says they have to target her for Aunt May to be an effective DNPC?

Aunt May has heart problems... Spiderman's life is complicated. Aunt May starts dating one of Spiderman's enemies... Spiderman's life is complicated. One of Aunt May's boarders has a gambling problem and mafia types are beginning to poke around her house... Spiderman's life is complicated. And the list goes on.

Yep.

As written they'd be considered incomplete. We basically ask the same amount of detail as we do for every other NPC... which is basically the same amount of detail that we ask of PCs.
I have Characteristics for all of them but didn't post those. I was more interested in seeing the level of detail the GGU needed. I wanted NPCs that could provide some plot hooks without doing the Aunt May or Lois Lane bit.

I have unfortunately seen over the years many PCs with far less detail than these NPCs. Most of our players have submitted short stories as well so we get some idea of how they see their character. A mere list of Powers, Disadvantages and Skills does not make a character in my book. Of course my character writeup for Zl'f is 3 full pages single spaced with narrow margins; it's almost 40K in length. Plus of course my short story and the new one I've been working on for 19 months.

Who says I'm excessive-compulsive? :winkgrin:

Of course you should do as you need for your games, but I don't have an issue with the Aunt May as DNPC if the player wishes/expects/realizes that she will of course come into play. Villains will tend to find out he's Spiderman and exploit her, that sort of thing. Or she will be the NPC who just happens to be the hostage at the bank when he normally would have let another super deal with it as he's got some other issue.

I do like your psych disad version, though.

I absolutely hate it when a PC has Secret ID and a Family member for a DNPC. For example' date=' Aunt May would NOT fly for me with Spiderman. She is able to take care of herself and does not need PP's support. And no one knows that Spiderman = Peter Parker so can't truly target her.[/quote']

But, Peter feels responsible for Aunt May. It might not be that The Lizard is chasing her every week, but she has bills, limited income, a heart condition, etc. Sure, she might be more of a DNPC to Peter Parker than to Spiderman, but I fail to see how Secret ID and Family do not mix.

After all, she almost became Mrs. Otto Octavius once. He sure as heck had to save her from that.

Annnd looking on I see much of this has already been covered. Oh well, pad the post count I will.

That was not a good Superman movie.

Couldn't agree more! :)

... I just said I liked the part where he's smashing up the bar, the "Dark Superman" thing... I was directly referring to how a dramatic change in a character can be a good thing, but in a game the player has to be willing to go along, or it doesn't work...

DNPC Family Member is fine but the problem is when you pair it with Secret ID. It greatly limits what you can do. This is the fifth time she has coincidently been in a crowd of innocent bystandards during an enemy attack this week!

Joe Lightning has a DNPC Relative and a Secret ID. His bad guy is looking for weaknesses and notices that five times now Joe Lightning has had a group of individuals and stepped in to rescue them and saved the same person first each time. He does a background check on this person and finds that coincidently, this person has a son who is the exact same height as Joe Lightning. Now this bad guy needs to test one or two more theories on this and he may have cracked this mystery.

Versus Lois Lane who is just looking to get into trouble. Heck, being a reporter, you can put her in every single game and not worry about ruining a Secret ID at all.

I'm not saying it isn't valid. I'm just saying I don't like it.

DNPC Family Member is fine but the problem is when you pair it with Secret ID. It greatly limits what you can do. This is the fifth time she has coincidently been in a crowd of innocent bystandards during an enemy attack this week!

Joe Lightning has a DNPC Relative and a Secret ID. His bad guy is looking for weaknesses and notices that five times now Joe Lightning has had a group of individuals and stepped in to rescue them and saved the same person first each time. He does a background check on this person and finds that coincidently, this person has a son who is the exact same height as Joe Lightning. Now this bad guy needs to test one or two more theories on this and he may have cracked this mystery.

Versus Lois Lane who is just looking to get into trouble. Heck, being a reporter, you can put her in every single game and not worry about ruining a Secret ID at all.

I'm not saying it isn't valid. I'm just saying I don't like it.

Your point is a very good one, SS, and well made...but on the other hand we're talking about a genre where a pair of glasses is considered a disguise...

:)

Your point is a very good one' date=' SS, and well made...but on the other hand we're talking about a genre where a pair of glasses is considered a [i']disguise[/i]...

:)

Exactly, which is not to say that SS and I don't each have our (distinctive) proclivities despite our more general genre admiration.

I think the main difference here is the way a DNPC is viewed. I tend to see it as an NPC that makes the PCs like more complicated. He or she doesn't nessacarily have to be involved directly in the adventure at hand to do so. A wife can het concerned about all her spouses late nights and "long hours" and investigate, a child can get into trouble at school or mixed up with drugs or other trouble, an elderly relative might get ill or need assistance. Something happens that the Hero has to deal with as an added wrinkle to the session or story.

Super Squirrel, is all you use DNPCs as a Disadvantage for is as a hostage/victim of the week? I would think that would get stale even if your character doesn’t have Secret ID. I know that a lot of the character’s in comics that could qualify as DNPCs bore me for exactly that reason. I mean if Lois is so inclined to get herself into situations that she needs to be rescued by Superman, how did she survive before she ever met Superman? Granted, Supes probably does interfere a lot of times that he doesn’t need, but still not all the time.

SS, I’m not saying that is what you do, I’m just curious if the perception that I’m getting from your posts is accurate.

My character Ranger once had a DNPC named Dr. Irwin Ledbetter, the Department Head at the UC Berkeley Physics Department. Dr. Ledbetter was Ranger's boss in his secret ID, and was always nosing about trying to find out what my character was up to. Ranger had to rescue Dr. Ledbetter from death at least twice, despite the fact that Ledbetter was a little weasel who was always trying to take credit for his subordinates' research. Ranger absolutely despised Dr. Ledbetter, but that didn't make Ledbetter any less interesting as a DNPC.

DNPC doesn't have to mean Dull Non Player Character. :)