The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Son of a &*$%^!!!! I got woken up by my property manager who had the onerous task of informing me that a window on my car had gotten busted out. $242 down the frelling drain! The bright spot is that the glass company will come to me & replace it today, within the next 3.5 hours.

Probably more like slim and none. And slim just left town. I've heard that heat can cause a window to spontaneously shatter, but don't know how much stake to put in that claim. The lawn service was out earlier today on their riding mowers and with weed-whackers. If one of their tools threw a rock I didn't see it inside the car. All the doors were locked and nothing appears to have been disturbed, so it wasn't theft. It still might have been vandalism. I just don't know, and have no way of telling with anything even halfway certain.

I got dumped today by my friend who was important to me. I am very hurt. Thank God I have OddHat to hold me. This is the second friend who has dumped me in the past 12 months. I feel very unlikable. I feel I just don't know how to relate to others beyond superficially. Thank God for OddHat. He knows me best and loves me anyway.

I got dumped today by my friend who was important to me. I am very hurt. Thank God I have OddHat to hold me. This is the second friend who has dumped me in the past 12 months. I feel very unlikable. I feel I just don't know how to relate to others beyond superficially. Thank God for OddHat. He knows me best and loves me anyway.

True love is a gang of two who fight the world together.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

The Division Manager welcomed me to his group this Tuesday and asked me how I liked my new store. I told him that it was a good store, but I missed the one I used to work at, the one that was 3 minutes walk from my place, as opposed to an hour's commute.

He said, "But you're getting 40 hours a week here. There are tradeoffs."

Well, I guess the tradeoff would have been when I was in danger of getting reduced to part time at my old store, dude. Look, I know that business is business, and that the old store is weathering a tough competitive environment. And union seniority rules are rules. But don't act like I don't have a complaint!

Tell me about it. An extra two hours of unpaid "work" each day for commuting, plus the added expense of all that gas you weren't burning before. I sure hope those extra hours are actually netting you more take-home-pay to make that hassle worth it.

I've heard that heat can cause a window to spontaneously shatter' date=' but don't know how much stake to put in that claim.[/quote']

It certainly can happen... if you have an oxy-acetylene torch handy. Otherwise, no.

It certainly can happen... if you have an oxy-acetylene torch handy. Otherwise' date=' no.[/quote']

Yeah, I found that claim highly dubious at best, but didn't verbally challenge the statement. Maybe also if the window has been heated up by the sun (plus the traped heat inside the car), then throwing some ice water on it...

Yeah' date=' I found that claim highly dubious at best, but didn't verbally challenge the statement. Maybe also if the window has been heated up by the sun (plus the traped heat inside the car), then throwing some ice water on it...[/quote']

Nope. The thermal shock has to be a good deal more extreme and uneven. If your landlord told you this, tell him I said to go back to 8th grade Physical Science and actually pay attention this time. Alternatively, ask him how well he thinks the auto glass business does in Arizona.

If I poured boiling water on my windshield in Alaska while it was -40F outside, I'd expect a broken window. Normal atmospheric temperature changes cannot cause the necessary stress.

I've lived in both places.

Nope. The thermal shock has to be a good deal more extreme and uneven. If your landlord told you this, tell him I said to go back to 8th grade Physical Science and actually pay attention this time. Alternatively, ask him how well he thinks the auto glass business does in Arizona.

If I poured boiling water on my windshield in Alaska while it was -40F outside, I'd expect a broken window. Normal atmospheric temperature changes cannot cause the necessary stress.

It wasn't the landlord, but one of the "maintenance staff" that was with her that offered that explanation.

Presumably you pour that water on all the windows and not just the windshield?

I was telling others about this incident, I would include what he said, but I would add that *my* personal theory is that a mower threw something at a shallow angle to the window, it ricocheted and didn't go inside the car but did break the window. I have no real experience with automotive glass, so I am not certain that a projectile that hits with enough force to break a side window can in fact not wind up inside the car. But it seemed more plausible to me than the "Durn Sun's too hot!" hypothesis. If not, then that would seem to leave vandalism as the leading probable cause.

It wasn't the landlord, but one of the "maintenance staff" that was with her that offered that explanation.

Presumably you pour that water on all the windows and not just the windshield?

I was telling others about this incident, I would include what he said, but I would add that *my* personal theory is that a mower threw something at a shallow angle to the window, it ricocheted and didn't go inside the car but did break the window. I have no real experience with automotive glass, so I am not certain that a projectile that hits with enough force to break a side window can in fact not wind up inside the car. But it seemed more plausible to me than the "Durn Sun's too hot!" hypothesis. If not, then that would seem to leave vandalism as the leading probable cause.

Ah, maintenance. There's the nitrod level of ignoramusness we were looking for.

But yeah, you can bounce something off of tempered glass and still break it. I'd tend to agree with either of your two likely suspects.

I have no reason to suspect random vandalism of just one window, when keying my car would have (imo) likely drawn less attention to the act. The landscaping service with their riding mowers had been out around my apartment (and car) just a copule hours before it was discovered.

On a different subject, this just for some reason doesn't sit well with me:

http://now.msn.com/now/0506-attorney-requests-appropriate-courtroom-attire.aspx

Longer (i.e., more than one paragraph) article here:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/06/attorney-in-hijab-defends-call-for-other-women-at-11-hearing-to-wear/#ixzz1u7mL84uj

On a different subject, this just for some reason doesn't sit well with me:

http://now.msn.com/now/0506-attorney-requests-appropriate-courtroom-attire.aspx

Longer (i.e., more than one paragraph) article here:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/06/attorney-in-hijab-defends-call-for-other-women-at-11-hearing-to-wear/#ixzz1u7mL84uj

The MSN story got right to the point:

The presence of so much female skin in court was apparently overly distracting to the defendants, who were forced to avert their gaze "for fear of committing a sin under their faith." The question of where mass murder fell on the Big List of Sins was not broached.

WARNING. Potential TMI ahead.

While I am generally pleased with the home dialysis system, the functioning of my catheter creates a distinct 'tugging' sensation in my body towards the end of a drain cycle. This tugging is in the lower abdomen ... the VERY lower abdomen. I have taken to referring to the drain cycle as 'performing the forty-meter groin pull'. It's harmless, and not unusual, but holy CRAP does it hurt.

Huh. You've verified it's not the catheter moving around? I take it you've done a CT to see where it ended up?

Not yet, but the PD nurse says that this isn't an unusual happening. It's shifting around some now, I think; the pain moves around and changes intensities somewhat depending on the time of day.