Final Fantasy HERO

Lisa Nadazdy

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Final Fantasy HERO

As you've doubtless noticed, the HTML code on the discussion boards having been turned off has rendered several of the fine writeups posted to this thread illegible. However, I've been able to reconstruct them more or less as originally presented, and have attached them as RTF Document files in the order in which they were first posted. If any of the creators of these writeups is unhappy with this, please PM me and I'll remove the pertinent documents.

Im interested in final fntasy hero game? Is it based on the animated series Final Fantasy? Tell more about it..? thanks

It would be based on the video game series of the same name.

There have been 3 Animated features that have been given the Final Fantasy name as well:

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy Unlimited

Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children.

The first Final Fantasy anime wasn't very good, and wasn't very well recieved, which is why Squaresoft did not pursue any more animated versions until Final Fantasy Unlimited (no counting The Spirits Within, but thats another story)

Final Fantasy Unlimited is a unique anime not set in any of the worlds represented by the videogame versions. It is, however, very Final Fantasy in its presentation.

FF7: Advent Children is their latest attempt and considered their greatest triumph, as it took characters and situations from what many consider to be the best of all the Final Fantasy games: FF7, and brought them to life with high quality CGI animation. In fact check out this trailer from here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1669

Gorgeous, no?

Anyway, all the Final Fantasy videogames, even though each one is a seperate game world (with 1 exception so far) they all play by pretty much the same rules.

Magic works a specific way and characters have special attacks called "Limit Breaks" or "Over Drives" or some such. Magic oftentimes revolves around crystals of some sort and Summon creatures play a central role in the game.

There have been 12 games in the series so far (the 11th game being Final Fantasy X part 2, and the 12th game being Final Fantasy 11, the online version) with Final Fantasy 12 (the 13th official game in the series) schedualed to come out sometime in mid-2006.

If you have access to a PS1 or PS2, do yourself a favor and check them out. I recommend starting with Final Fantasy 7, but the graphics are very dated. Final Fantasy X is also a good game (don't start with FFX part 2 as it is very different from a "typical" Final Fantasy game. Its very cool, just also very different) and is so far the prettiest in the series.

• 2 weeks later...

The FF game series couldn't be combined into a single campaign setting - each version is a different planet, setting and characters. The only similarities are that each game involves magic and technology, characters that are superhuman, and usually an end of the world scenario, or some other major crisis.

The FF game series couldn't be combined into a single campaign setting - each version is a different planet' date=' setting and characters. The only similarities are that each game involves magic and technology, characters that are superhuman, and usually an end of the world scenario, or some other major crisis.[/quote']

Actually, my roomate has combined the worlds of FF7, FFX and FFVI together into one combined campaign setting.

Each of the seperate game "worlds" he turned into continents on an extremely large artificial world (created by "The Ancients") and several of the game elements from various games have made an appearance.

Chocobos are the primary mode of transport for the masses

Airships are omnipresent

Magitech Armor from FF-6 has made an appearance called "Armored Frames"

Magic is generally done via Materia from FF7

Limit Breaks/Overdrives exist (my character uses them)

Summons take a cue from FFX/FFXI (where the summon hangs around and fights with the party, not simply one big SFX as in previous incarnations)

Races from Final Fantasy XI (online) exist, as do classic fantasy races like Dwarves, Elves, Gnomes etc. (FFXI, the online version has classic fantasy races named Elvaan, Galka [beastmen], Tarutaru [Hobbits] Mithra [Catgirls]. The Ronso from FFX may also make an appearance)

He has also added quite a bit of his own stuff to the campaign to make it distinct from the videogames themselves. It feels like we're playing Final Fantasy, but it doesn't feel too much like FF7, even though there's materia in the game...

Sounds cool! I have made a "Summoner" Class for my Edean campaign world. (thought I can't remember if I posted it or not...)

The summons work "both ways" the initiate summons the being for a single purpose (Attack, Defense, Healing, Status Change, etc) but as they get more powerful (and develop a greater rapport with the being summoned) they can eventually summon an "Avatar" of that celestial or infernal being and have it stick around for a while. These avatars can even become the equivalent of familars for the summoner.

And that campaign sound kick ***. Very well thought out.

• 1 year later...

The FF game series couldn't be combined into a single campaign setting - each version is a different planet' date=' setting and characters. The only similarities are that each game involves magic and technology, characters that are superhuman, and usually an end of the world scenario, or some other major crisis.[/quote']

FF Tactics and FF 12 take place on the same continent on the same world. FF Tactics Advance takes place on the same world but a different continent.

FF Tactics and FF 12 take place on the same continent on the same world. FF Tactics Advance takes place on the same world but a different continent.

Actually... Merging all Final Fantasy games on Ivalice would be a fun project now that I think about it. I know the races, I know the classes and powers, and the maps would be easy to reproduce.

This was my plan prior to sitting down to doing a conversion myself - instead of worrying about 'which' FF to translate, I was simply going to translate the jobs and items wholesale and call it good, as well as the racial packages (including which job packages and skill trees could be learned). Although being HERO, there are always considerations of who can learn what, and whether you want to 'simulate' the genre or simply 'recreate' the entire setting.

Seems, though, that for the most part people are either looking to recreate the materia system from VII, or the job/item/spells from FFT. My money is on FFT/FFTA.

Yup. Steal the classes from FF3, 5, Tactics, and Tactics:Advance. Augment with Dress Spheres (for job abilities; drop costume change) from FFX2. Shake and bake with the various races from the whole series. And work up some of the iconic arms and armor, and spells and monsters.

I don't think you'll find many looking to keep the Draw system, the sphere system, the 'gain skills via equipment' system, or the new licencing system from XII.

And as this is Hero, the classes will likely be better to simply present options. Many (take Red XIII or Vincent for example) will opt to go it alone.

• 3 years later...

An idea I had a while back involved the different forms Materia took throughout the games.I don't remember all of it off-hand, although I do have the conversation documented (I'd post it in here but there's a good bit of sifting out of other ideas required).

Anywho, the main point is that in the campaign world (this not having to be some incarnation of Gaea, Terra, Spira or Ivalice mind you), there is the Lifestream. As the name implies it is the stream of energy that cycles through the planet and animates any life that should happen to evolve from it (I'll leave it there to stay out of the philosophical discussion that would bring up). As was discussed in Final Fantasy 7, Materia is in essence bits of the Lifestream that have crystallized, be they beings that were circulating therein or just bits of lore and wisdom that were floating around from some being that collected it.

What I was thinking is this, the Life Stream and Materia have existed in All the Final Fantasy games. They were just known as different things, or in the case of the Life stream possibly not at all or as only a legend. In any of the final fantasy games that involving the 4(8 in FF4) crystals, these would basically be Huge Materia. In Final Fantasy 6, the Materia would come from Espers (who were creatures of magic who would have likely been born Of the Life Stream), and when the Espers died, they left behind a magicite shard which would bestow that creatures lore on whoever would have drawn from it.

An interesting little connection can be made with Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy X-2. In FF5 you encounter the 4 crystals and they shatter, it's the various pieces of the crystals that allow you to learn the various Job Classes, anyone that's played X-2 will remember the Dress Sphere's and what they enabled you to do. Makes for an interesting connection.

Another interesting bit from the games is the Draw System from FF8 (which I hated btw, but I still put it in for completeness sake and because my friend I had this conversation with was a fan), that could be thought of as a character directly tapping into the Lifestream. A similar case could be made for a Blue Mage (or an Enemy Skills materia) tapping into the Lore that the creature contains when it uses the ability that can be learned.

OK, the big point is to stir up some thought about this for any enterprising GM that would like to take this on. If I see that there is any interest in this I'll try to post some more ideas or answer any questions that arise.

Well, lets see where this takes us then.