A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

shadowcat1313

Re: A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

I love the Bean Bandit, but I was avoiding animated characters. Otherwise... Johny Quest and Haji.

Has anybody forgotten anime/manga characters from the modern era? Ryouko (Tenchi Muyo!)' date=' Subaru Sumeragi (Tokyo Babylon/X), Ryo Saeba (City Hunter), Minny May and Rally Vincent (Gunsmith Cats), and Bean Bandit (Riding Bean) would all be appopriate, and with some pretty nifty tricks up their sleeves.[/quote']

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCloud for 70s too. Problem is' date=' we need some "arcane knowledge" and I am not sure who to put. Otherwise we have a bunch of gunslinging detectives.[/quote']Hey, it was the 70s. Everyone was a detective. Just like everyone had a special vehicle in the 80s.

when it comes to a modern arcane character, things get a little odd, do you use somebody like Anton Lavey or Isaac Bonnewits? I'm not sure how well Lavey would get along with anybody

not a big buffy fan, I would toss in Anita Blake instead

for that matter this bunch begins to sound more like a Bureau 13 team

to borrow from one of my favorite sets of RPG based novels

Guest Major Tom

when it comes to a modern arcane character, things get a little odd, do you use somebody like Anton Lavey or Isaac Bonnewits? I'm not sure how well Lavey would get along with anybody

I don't know what the rest of you folks think about this, but I suspect that a

modern LXG, no matter what its basic membership is, would draw the line at

including a known Satanist (LaVey) in its lineup.

That's just my opinion, though.

Major Tom :cool:

Guest Major Tom

For the Modern Literary Version,

Mack Bolan

KA.

Now, are you talking about the character as he was during his "John Phoenix"

period at Stony Man Farm, or as he was during his vendetta war against the

KGB in general (and Greb Strakhov in particular)?

For that matter, how about any of the other characters in the Mack Bolan

universe? I'd think that any of the guys from Able Team, Phoenix Force and

G-Force would more than qualify for LXG membership.

Major Tom :thumbup:

I would tend to agree with you there... then again Nina Harker and Dorian Grey werent exactly saints either

there arent that many modern mystical characters that come to mind, you could borrow from Harry Potter or the Anita Blake books, or one of the characters from the Burning Chrome series by Mercedes Lackey

then for a base of operations and a patron... Callahans Crosstime Saloon comes to mind... or operate out of Lady Sallys house of good repute.

being a big fan of Spider Robinson myself.

Rasputin would have made an interesting addition to the original league

but hes another grey area.

heres another idea for a 50's/60's League

for the Scientist, what about Richard Fenyman?

I read "Surely your joking Mister Fenyman" really fun book

and he was a rather interesting scientist.

I have enjoyed them. I am waiting for the one about the werewolf/vampire.

One of the really nice bits of personality that came out of the comic (not so much in the movie) was that you had one person of strong moral strength (Mina) who managed to forge a team out of some really morally disreputable people.

As such, I'd like to see some of that sort reflected in the modern arrangement. Maybe have Ernst Stavro Blofeld or Dr. Hanibal Lector on the team... kept in line by some stronger personality (which would be rather entertaining with having a battle of wills with Dr. Lector).

The question would then be who would be a strong enough person to forge the team...

Novel?

Had no idea. :embarrassed: (since for some reason Ben got rid of that emoticon)

Novel was written by David Morrell. I probably wouldn't have realized it either except that my parent's liked Morrell's books so I had a large selection to choose from. The movie was more candy-coated. In the book Rambo wasn't as nice.

For using a charcter for the Harry Potter books, I would agree with Hermione, or even Neville Longbottom. One of the characters who isn't quite main character material but will shine in a group. (and in the fifth book Neville is becoming more sure of himself).

"mad" Davey Sullivan from The "Windmaster's Bane" series would be pretty good, or his friend Calvin Fargo.

The main character from his other series would be good. Where did I leave those books?

I would tend to agree with you there... then again Nina Harker and Dorian Grey werent exactly saints either

there arent that many modern mystical characters that come to mind, you could borrow from Harry Potter or the Anita Blake books, or one of the characters from the Burning Chrome series by Mercedes Lackey

then for a base of operations and a patron... Callahans Crosstime Saloon comes to mind... or operate out of Lady Sallys house of good repute.

being a big fan of Spider Robinson myself.

Rasputin would have made an interesting addition to the original league

but hes another grey area.

heres another idea for a 50's/60's League

for the Scientist, what about Richard Fenyman?

I read "Surely your joking Mister Fenyman" really fun book

and he was a rather interesting scientist.

Guest Major Tom

With all the different versions of this thread that have appeared on the dis-

cussion board, I can't help but ask:

Has Simon Templar ever been nominated for LXG membership in any of the

LXG threads (including this one)?

If the answer is no, then consider him nominated.

Major Tom :angel:

Simon Templar is a very good choice, if you ask me.

As for Harry Potter characters I think an LXG sort of deal would be right up the alley of Fred and George Weasly.

Other choices I can think of right off the top of my head would be: Remington Steele, MacGuyver, Jarod [from the Pretender], Edward Scissorhands or perhaps somebody from CSI. If you wanted to be weird, you could add members of the Addams Family. :eg::bmk:

Guest WhammeWhamme

Simon Templar is a very good choice, if you ask me.

As for Harry Potter characters I think an LXG sort of deal would be right up the alley of Fred and George Weasly.

Other choices I can think of right off the top of my head would be: Remington Steele, MacGuyver, Jarod [from the Pretender], Edward Scissorhands or perhaps somebody from CSI. If you wanted to be weird, you could add members of the Addams Family. :eg::bmk:

OMG... so perfect. :hail:

Too bad there's no way I'll ever be in a game run by you. :cry:

Guest Major Tom

Just thought of someone that might fit in fairly well in a modern LXG: V.H. Adderly.

A former field agent for an intelligence organization relegated to a desk job as a

result of injuries recieved during a torture session (his left hand no longer works),

Adderly nevertheless manages to come across some international crisis or anoth-

er that he invariably winds up having to deal with. While some might consider

Adderly's disability to be an impediment to doing the kind of work that he once

did when he had full possession of his physical faculties, he always manages to

get the job done in spite of it.

Major Tom :cool:

Guest Champsguy

Geez, guys. I'm literally ashamed of you. And you call yourselves fanboys. Hang your heads in shame. You're looking for someone with a strong personality, knowledge of the mystical world, and you don't even mention *him*?

How could you forget *him*???

Fine. I guess I'll have to do it.

Hail to the King, baby.

'Nuff said.

Some other names for consideration:

Michael Dudikoff, the American Ninja

Emmitt "Doc" Brown

Jack Burton

Bill and Ted

Jay and Silent Bob

Billy, from "Gremlins"

Peter Venkman

and, of course, the Boz

Harry Potter, or some of the other characters, are Ok, but for Magic I'd have to go with Tim Hunter (DC's Vertigoline, Books of Magic). I mean when your mother is Queen of the Fey, your father was a shape-shifter, and your teachers include the likes of John Constantine & Phantom Stranger, how can you go wrong ? :winkgrin:

not a big buffy fan' date=' I would toss in Anita Blake instead [/quote']

Not a big Buffy fan either, but Anita Blake ?!? I don't know about anyone else, but considering that most of her troubles are self-inflicted based on the company she keeps, I just can't work up much sympathy for the character.

Now if you want that same feel, I'd have to say Harry Dresden (aka Harry Copperfield Blackstone Dresden) from the Dresden Files books (author is Jim Butcher). If you haven't read those, go find them. WAY better then the A. Blake books, in my opinion at least.

Harry Potter' date=' or some of the other characters, are Ok, but for Magic I'd have to go with Tim Hunter (DC's Vertigoline, Books of Magic). I mean when your mother is Queen of the Fey, your father was a shape-shifter, and your teachers include the likes of John Constantine & Phantom Stranger, how can you go wrong ? :winkgrin:[/quote']

I thought they were the same character. ;)

But sseriously, TH is a better choice, if nothing else because HP would cost you an arm annd a leg licencing wise.

Is this being based more on the flavor of the comics (graphic novels), or that crappy movie that they spawned ? Since you're mentioning Dorian Grey, I'd have to suspect the latter. Nina Murray, she'd divorced and gone back to her maiden name in the comics, but I guess they figured that trying to figure out who this was would have been a stretch for most of their target audience, wasn't NEARLY the same if you compare the two. In the comics, her only real "power" was a bit of "persuasion", not the flying she-vamp of the film. And while none of them were saints, other then Hyde, they weren't monsters either.

Guest Major Tom

Geez, guys. I'm literally ashamed of you. And you call yourselves fanboys. Hang your heads in shame. You're looking for someone with a strong personality, knowledge of the mystical world, and you don't even mention *him*?

How could you forget *him*???

Fine. I guess I'll have to do it.

Hail to the King, baby.

'Nuff said.

Some other names for consideration:

Michael Dudikoff, the American Ninja

Emmitt "Doc" Brown

Jack Burton

Bill and Ted

Jay and Silent Bob

Billy, from "Gremlins"

Peter Venkman

and, of course, the Boz

At the risk of being pelted with numerous stale fried-banana-and-peanut-butter

sandwiches, I have to ask:

Are you by any chance referring to Elvis?

Major Tom :fear:

• 2 months later...

I didn't find this thread 'til today, but I did run LXG 2004 at Gen Con this year. The cast I chose to use was:

Michael Emerson (older brother, temp vampire from The Lost Boys)

Seth Gekko (From Dusk til Dawn)

Charlene McGee (Firestarter)

Edward Scissorhands

Dr. Peyton Westlake (Darkman)

Elijah Price (Mr. Glass from Unbreakable)

Willard Stiles (Willard)

Serefine Pigot (American Werewolf in Paris)

My brother and I actually planned this out - including most of the cast - on our way back from Gen Con 2003. The villains of the piece were Steve Austin and Skynet / Terminators. When choosing cast we tried to stick with some of the concepts that Mr. Moore advocated -- relatively obscure, often with a shady past. As pointed out in this tread, we avoided comic book characters as too easy. And, yes, it was run in Hero system.

I hope that all of you that said you'd play in this type of a game had a chance to play. I intend to run again next year, so would appreciate any feedback from anyone that played.

And keep up the thread -- a lot of great ideas are out there that I hadn't thought of. Nothing says the cast will stay static from year to year.

--Rich Bowers