A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

shadowcat1313

looking at some other threads, the idea of creating a league from people who actually existed at the time the league is set in

and the following ideas came up

Aleister Crowley

Teddy Roosevelt

Nicholai Tesla..

Samuel Clemmens

either Winston Churchill or Rudyard Kipling

TH Lawrence

if a modern league were put together... who would you put in it?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: A Modern League of Extroardinary Gentlemen

Elvis martial skills

Gary Gygax tactics

Alan Moore the occultist

Hugh Heffner seduction and team finacier

Steve Urwin cannon fodder

Sounds more like Steve Irwin, only useful member of this team. If you ask me.

What about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle? He led quite a life, and he was a smart cookie himself. Then there's also the "real life" Sherlock Holmes he based his stories on but I can't recall who that is (or even if that's just more of an allegorical thing).

looking at some other threads, the idea of creating a league from people who actually existed at the time the league is set in

and the following ideas came up

Aleister Crowley

Teddy Roosevelt

Nicholai Tesla..

Samuel Clemmens

either Winston Churchill or Rudyard Kipling

TH Lawrence

if a modern league were put together... who would you put in it?

Hmmm. Part of the fun of the league was that the people in it were actually extraordinary.

I suppose you would have to give the above actual powers - Crowley would be able to use magic - Tesla would control electricity - possibly to the extent of electric touch though in a lower key game simply influencing its flow through circuits. I think Roosevelt/Clemens/Kipling/Lawrence kind of duplicate each other - boys own heroes perhaps but nothing that you could really tag on as extraordinary. I think one of them would be necessary but all four would be overblown.

So. Who else?? I think, in the vein of the originals you have to look at modern literature for your extraordinary characters. You could replace the Roosevelt etc with James Bond - an obvious modern literary character to do that. You would add Steve Austin (or if you want to be derivative Jake 2.0) and possibly Knight Rider or Airwolf though I think I'd prefer Macguyver in that role. I'm struggling to think of a few more without straying into sci-fi stuff...

Doc

So. Who else?? I think' date=' in the vein of the originals you have to look at modern literature for your extraordinary characters. You could replace the Roosevelt etc with James Bond - an obvious modern literary character to do that. You would add Steve Austin (or if you want to be derivative Jake 2.0) and possibly Knight Rider or Airwolf though I think I'd prefer Macguyver in that role.[/quote']

That was exactly what I was thinking. It seems the first few posts were discussing a real LXG, not a modern one. A modern one would be characters from the eighties and nineties who were fictional. And for fairness' sake, like the Doc said, we eliminate scifi (and fantasy, as such), or we'll have teams made up of the Sandman and Q. Also, I say we ban comic books, because we can all imagine our ideal superhero team.

So, for me,

James Bond (badassness)

Macguyver (flexibiliyy)

Tom Swift (money and gadgets)

Indiana Jones (research/badassness combo)

The Bride (stealth and martial arts)

Open to debate, of course. I might change my mind later.

And I'd add Buffy the Vampire Slayer to my group. Martial arts' date=' super strength, and mystical/occult knowledge (with Giles as an amicable Contact), she's an all around powerhouse.[/quote']

Oh yes - Buffy is definitely a modern phenomenon - and perhaps The Crow - never hurts to have someone who's already dead! :)

Then there's also the "real life" Sherlock Holmes he based his stories on but I can't recall who that is.

Dr. Bell. A lecturer at the University of Edinburgh medical school when Doylewas an undergrad.

It seems the first few posts were discussing a real LXG' date=' not a [i']modern[/i] one. A modern one would be characters from the eighties and nineties who were fictional.
No. They were discussing a modern real LXG, based upon a Victorian/Edwardian real LXG. Admittedly it wasn't very interesting so we've had to hijack that thread.

I wouldn't allow traditional superheroes in a modern LXG cause they're not modern. Almost all of em date from the late 30s/40s or the 60s. The last decent superhero of note was Wolverine. Tom Swift would be right out for that same reason. He was created in 1910 or something, wasn't he?

For me the modern LXG would include:

Buffy - A No. 1

Harry Potter (don't care for the character but ya just can't ignore him)

Neo from the Matrix - except he's a bit problematic, requiring our world to be a VR simulation

A spy - Alias or 24

Someone genetically modified like Dark Angel or the movie Spider-man (now I'm breaking my own no superheroes rule)

If not Neo then some other kung fu dude - maybe Beatrix Kiddo AKA The Bride AKA Black Mamba

Harry Potter (don't care for the character but ya just can't ignore him)

Good call! I'd ignored our optically challenged magic user....

...but no Steve Austin? :(

EDIT: You gotta have a techno somewhere - even if it is macguyver!!

Dr. Bell. A lecturer at the University of Edinburgh medical school when Doylewas an undergrad.

Thanks, yes, the name rings the bell, too (not that I would doubt whatever you said, just that when I saw that name I said "yes!").

By the way, I just really noticed your avatar, very cool! :thumbup:

As an obscure addition to a modern-day LXG: Jim Qwilleran.

By himself, he's just a newspaper columnist and former crime reporter (not to mention the richest man in the North Central United States). However, his cat, Kao K'o Kung (Koko for short), is believed to have ESP -- certainly he can tell when a murder takes place that Qwilleran is going to have a part in solving, and drops clues about the killer's identity.

See Lilian Jackson Braun's The Cat Who... series for more. :)

All Hasselhoff, all the time :)

Actually, Since most of the LXG were fictional characters, I think I'd go with...

John McClain (Die Hard)

Johnny Smith (The Dead Zone)

Karl Kolchak (The Nightstalker)

Willow Rosenburg (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)

MacGuyver

Here's the controversial choice...

Hannibal Lechter (The Silence of the Lambs)

You've got your investigator, your ubermensch, a witch, a gadgeteer, a psychic, and a brilliant "gentleman"

I'll think of something better later. But for now, that's my list.

(If you wanted a modern Jeckly & Hyde, you could go with Tyler Durden/The Narrator from Fight Club)

Guest Blizzard

All Hasselhoff, all the time :)

Actually, Since most of the LXG were fictional characters, I think I'd go with...

Here's the controversial choice...

Hannibal Lechter (The Silence of the Lambs)

I think that we are missing one thing of the original LXG. Most of the characters where Villians in thier original stories. So Lechter isn't far from the mark. You just need to have the leader of the group rien him in, save for people that most deserving of being dinner for him.

Another idea person for the group would be Jaws from the Bond films

We need a reformable villian with supertech to match Nemo.

For a monster we could have ether Flukeman or another interesting character from the X-files.

People to ride heard over this bunch maybe Bond, Alias, or my fav, Mulder and Scully. Imagin the line that could be in the offing between Scully and Lechter.

We need a reformable villian with supertech to match Nemo.

Who needs fantastic gadgets when you can foil a neutron bomb with a piece of chewing gum and elastic from a pair of underwear. MacGuyer's yer man! Villains...bah!