Now that I've seen Reality Storm

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Now that I've seen Reality Storm

So I'm looking at Red Phoenix's Champions write-up, and I suddenly think "That can't be right."

So I look at her SAS write-up, and I have to ask...

...exactly what good is a personal force field with Affects Desolid.

Oooh, a Desolid character can't go through you, they actually have to take the time to go around you instead.

The only thing I can think of is a defense against some sort of spectral attack that's NND or AVLD against defenses that Affect Desolid.

Heh, well I don't suppose it is something that would prove useful all that often in the ECU. Probably is meant for attacks such as Vision's "Disruption Touch", or to keep nasty ghostses and demons from possessing you, etc.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One feature of the SAS bricks that's unusual for Champions writeups is their martial training/Martial Arts Skills. Iron Duke and Sentinel already have awesome raw STR, but their Martial Maneuvers allow them to dish out devastating damage, as well as add HTH versatility.

That, and the number and variety of his Skill Levels, are among the things I really like about Sentinel. He's not just raw power like so many high-point characters, and I think this reflects someone who really has been at this superhero business for decades. It's as if Superman had been active continuously, in continuity, ever since his Golden Age debut. :)

For Sentinel, it is a nice homage to his years of experience; but for both him and ID the MA Packages look a little out of place. IMO, Sentinel would look better with a more basic set of maneuvers, perhaps making up for the loss of flexibility by adding another CSL. Duke, I think, probably should not have any MA at all (though the Brawling set is not a big stretch for him). I think maybe a level or two of HA, plus a couple of Accuracy CSLs, might be a better model for him.

So I'm looking at Red Phoenix's Champions write-up, and I suddenly think "That can't be right."

So I look at her SAS write-up, and I have to ask...

...exactly what good is a personal force field with Affects Desolid.

Oooh, a Desolid character can't go through you, they actually have to take the time to go around you instead.

The only thing I can think of is a defense against some sort of spectral attack that's NND or AVLD against defenses that Affect Desolid.

In SAS, force fields can be completely bypassed by phasors. Probably an artifact. Now if it were written as a personal force *wall*. . .

I agree that differences between the systems will produce incongruities in straight conversions' date=' but I for one appreciate that "speed advantage." Looking at the SAS characters in HERO in [b']Reality Storm[/b], I get a very good idea of the type and magnitude of their abilities, and can easily tweak their writeups to suit my preferences. I usually do that with published characters anyway. ;)

No question that a conversion system can at least help get the character in the ballpark fairly quickly. And I rarely use a published character as written either, so I end also up making changes (minor tweak to full rewrite) in any case.

In SAS' date=' force fields can be completely bypassed by phasors. Probably an artifact. Now if it were written as a personal force *wall*. . .[/quote']

That was my first thought, since the SAS write-up lists her force field as Area 2. But then I rechecked the rules and that's 1m, the minimum the power needs to completely enclose the person generating it.

It's as if Superman had been active continuously' date=' in continuity, ever since his Golden Age debut. :)[/quote']If he earned 2 XP a week that'd give him 3432 XP. Plus 250 starting CP makes him a 3682 point character. Seems about right, maybe a bit too much when you take his limitations into account.