Now that I've seen Reality Storm

Michael Hopcroft

Re: Now that I've seen Reality Storm

Alice is not bad; super-mercs are easy to integrate. However' date=' the rest are rather blah, or have serious issues. Certainly, I'd rather use Teleios than Matthews any day.[/quote']Ah, well...tastes differ:/ I feel the opposite way: Teleios is kinda boring to me (in the way that 'perfect' people often are to those less blessed;) )..MM didn't do much for me either, until Matthews GenTech came out, revealing facets of his character (depraved ones, mostly) I had not realized existed.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but the setting is in desperate need of some higher point heroes to account for why all those 1000+ villains haven't conquered the world yet.

( 1000+ = Dr Destroyer, Takofanes, Gravitar, Warlord, Mechanon, Menton, Supreme Serpent, Viperia. Istvatha and Teleios are in the same effective power range or higher, despite their lower point total. Probably about another half dozen in the same range yet to be statted, like Dr Yin Wu )

Indeed..and to say nothing of the various evil organizations which are generally the equivalent of a very high powered super, each.

Except that Batman makes up for his lack of offensive power through a massive and versatile skill set. Caliburn' date=' as written, isn't all that good a street level fighter, doesn't have that great a skill or equipment set, and is in general way too weak.[/quote']And yet..he manages to get by, often fighting against opponents who appear to be more of a match for RP or Sentinel.. He probably uses mirrors:)

Again, his stats don't reflect that.

Re: Mechanon vs Champions- Okay, let me specify that in a *fair* fight, I can't see them winning. Mechanon is just too fast, has too much firepower, and most importantly, has enough OCV that the only time he *won't* hit far more often than he misses is if somebody dodges, expending an action.

Emphasis on "fair" fight; I *can* see one using situation to gain an advantage. If nothing else, gaining surprise could allow a teamwork attack for Stun, with appropriate followup.

As for the case examples given by others, I can't assess them, given I don't have the characters. I can ask one thing, though: how many 150 point drone robot minions did he have at the time, and if he had few or none, why??

Again, his stats don't reflect that.

Re: Mechanon vs Champions- Okay, let me specify that in a *fair* fight, I can't see them winning. Mechanon is just too fast, has too much firepower, and most importantly, has enough OCV that the only time he *won't* hit far more often than he misses is if somebody dodges, expending an action.

Emphasis on "fair" fight; I *can* see one using situation to gain an advantage. If nothing else, gaining surprise could allow a teamwork attack for Stun, with appropriate followup.

As for the case examples given by others, I can't assess them, given I don't have the characters. I can ask one thing, though: how many 150 point drone robot minions did he have at the time, and if he had few or none, why??

They were attacking the city at the time.

Okay, read it through, here's my view :)

(I posted this on the showdown site as well despite the fact i don't think anyone goes there anymore, but you never know)

I plan to flip through it a few more times, but I must say after the first initial look over, I'm very pleased. Given the limited space (it has both the story AND conversion rules) they had to work with, the adventure seems sound, and while I don't know the Tri Stat rules well enough to say how the Champions translated, the Guard write ups look good to me.

It's not perfect mind you. Red Phoenix is shown as a blonde in the artwork, yet mentioned as a redhead in one of her disadvantages. However, that nitpickery is really the only thing that jumped out at me on first reading.

The script for the villains are well done, taking their personality quirks into account well I thought. Cosmic beings and realms are touched upon, and it really does manage to capture the feel of some of those cross over events you see in comics. The plot tree does not try to force a specific ending even in victory, leaving lots of options that respect the fact it's the individual GM's worlds now to play with as they wish.

The art, while grayscale within, is very well done and continues to evoke the homage to comic crossovers (In fact, 'comic cover' style artwork is laced through out).

I need to look over the conversion rules more carefully, but I think it's safe to say Tri Stat products are now going to be seen as potential buys for my champion campaigns. I think the reverse will be true for SAS players.

I give it a hearty thumbs up.

I bought it and I am a little surprised about the powers of some of the people when converted.

But I can now convert others thanks to the conversion table.

I love the comic book covers that are shown.

The latest Roll Call is called Country Matters and features women that the evil Janus has discarded. there are some nice ideas here.

This thread on RPGnet would probably benefit from input by people who have read Reality Storm.

It might, but given the small but vocal crowd of rabid posters at RPG net who attack anything with the word HERO on it, I am reluctant to do so. :( Unless that situation has improved, in which case I apologize.

Yeah, SAS stats don't necessarily reflect character concept in the same way that Hero's characteristics do. Slipstream's dexterity (ie, his SAS dexterity, as represented by his Body Stat) is high, but within normal human range. Unlike Hero speedsters, who use high DEX to offset the cost of Speed, as well as guarantee a high initiative, SAS runners buy those qualities apart from their stats.

Yeah' date=' SAS stats don't necessarily reflect character concept in the same way that Hero's characteristics do. Slipstream's dexterity (ie, his SAS dexterity, as represented by his Body Stat) is high, but within normal human range. Unlike Hero speedsters, who use high DEX to offset the cost of Speed, as well as guarantee a high initiative, SAS runners buy those qualities apart from their stats.[/quote']

Slipstream does have lightning reflexes so he is not quite so slow. With those Kinetik is only 2 points of dexterity quicker.

Conversions can do wacky things.

:)

I still fondly remember the DC Heroes to Hero and V&V to Hero Conversions I found.

I still have the vast majority of the DC Heroes 2nd & 3rd Edition Characters converted to hero, and A good chunk of the V&V universe as well, but it was on MetaCreator and I forgot to Convert them to HD I simply erased the VIllains...:(

Just got the book. I have not yet delved into the conversion system but I have read the stats and scanned the adventure. It looks like an excellent book to me and I am proud to FINALLY be able to add it to my collection :)

Now we need to start lobbying for Reality Storm 2: Crisis in Freedom City .

Allen

Just got the book. I have not yet delved into the conversion system but I have read the stats and scanned the adventure. It looks like an excellent book to me and I am proud to FINALLY be able to add it to my collection :)

Now we need to start lobbying for Reality Storm 2: Crisis in Freedom City .

Allen

With Hero managing the project, please. I've come to like on-time shipping...

I must say, the relatively low defenses of Caliburn, Mother Raven, and Slipstream surprised me. I realize the Guard has more combat levels than the Champions on average to balance it out, but yikes!

Now, on the flip side, Red Phoenix and Sentinel have no such problem.

( speaking about the SAS side )

Mother Raven has her intangibility in SAS as her defense. Thing is, IIRC, SAS allows usage of non-physical powers while intangible without extra cost.

OTOH, there might be low defences because SAS uses a quasi-abstract health component, that incorporates stuff like willpower and intelligent evasion. It'd be best to give both Caliburn and Slipstream combat luck.

( actually, it'd be best to not even bother trying to keep Caliburn within his official SAS writeup limits, and build him to be as powerful as he *ought* to be, plotwise. . . )

With Hero managing the project' date=' please. I've come to like on-time shipping...[/quote']

Well, Green Ronin is somewhat better about that than GoO appears to be. although that hasn't held true for the M&M Annual #1, but there may have been other issues with that. Still, I agree that Hero would be the best choice to head up such a project.

Allen

( actually' date=' it'd be best to not even bother trying to keep Caliburn within his official SAS writeup limits, and build him to be as powerful as he *ought* to be, plotwise. . . )[/quote']

Caliburn is built as a low-powered hero in SAS. When you consider his character point totals I was shocked that he came out as powerful as he did in the hero conversion. Caliburn is a 125 point SAS character. He is not supposed to be Batman-like in power.