Doom Patrol Champions

Metaphysician

Re: Doom Patrol Champions

Which version? The only one I'm familiar with is Grant Morrison's high weirdness run which had some amazing moments (Flex Mentallo, "You forgot the power to create escape-proof spirit jars") but missed more often than it hit I felt. I've heard the original run was better.

Oddly, the one I always think of is the one with Caulder, Robotman, Negative Man and Elastigirl, even though that's not the one I'm most familiar with. I had at one point the first appearance of Animal-Vegetable-Mineral Man and it left its mark.

DC is reviving the title with Caulder' date=' Robotman, Negative Man and Elastigirl, plus a girl with mind-control powers, a four armed ape, a shadowy, masked character and Grace form the JLA.[/quote']

Not to be too nit-picky, but isn't it Faith from the JLA? I think Grace is the female brick in the Outsiders.

Not to be too nit-picky' date=' but isn't it Faith from the JLA? I think Grace is the female brick in the Outsiders.[/quote']

Yes, I think that's it - Faith. Does she have powers that would enable her to help train the mind-control girl?

Yes' date=' I think that's it - Faith. Does she have powers that would enable her to help train the mind-control girl?[/quote']

I believe she is supposed to be one of the top mentalist in the DCU(after MM of course). In the Tenth Circle story-line she was targetted by Crucifier so she couldn't do her mind thing to a hypnotized Superman. At the end they said she was one of the few people strong enough to stop him (after MM of course).

Which version? The only one I'm familiar with is Grant Morrison's high weirdness run which had some amazing moments (Flex Mentallo' date=' "You forgot the power to create escape-proof spirit jars") but missed more often than it hit I felt. I've heard the original run was better.[/quote']

I've thought of running a weird Champions game like that (my players might feel I already am...) but it'd be really tough to pull off well, particularly the surreal stuff.

Ugh. Nothing like retconning four entire runs of a comic series just because you feel like it. . .

Yet no-one seems to have a problem with it being done to Superman, Catwoman, Flash, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers or anyone else.

Yet no-one seems to have a problem with it being done to Superman' date=' Catwoman, Flash, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers or anyone else.[/quote']

Hey, one of the reasons I stopped collecting was because of that... People just have varying levels of tolerance about this sort of stuff. I can deal with the movies doing the story different, but when they retcon my 30 boxes of comics, I get annoyed.

I've thought of running a weird Champions game like that (my players might feel I already am...) but it'd be really tough to pull off well' date=' particularly the surreal stuff.[/quote']

Occasionly we seem to tread that route, but we all need to be there at once I think. I know I can do it, but I have to prep the brain properly.

Occasionly we seem to tread that route' date=' but we all need to be there at once I think. I know I can do it, but I have to prep the brain properly.[/quote']

Me, too, and the thing is that the weirder Doom Patrols are just hard to model in a game IMHO. Not impossible, but hard.

I'm trying to go with the Weird Champions feel on my current game' date=' the Misfits, as I'm a big fan of the Doom Patrol (but sadly misplaced a ton of my Doom Patrol comics from the Grant Morrison run).[/quote']

They're not that hard to find, believe it or not. At least I seem to see them a good bit in the non-current comic bins.

You could definately do a DP style game. I've considered running a universe with them as the main heroes several times, just never put much thought into it.

There's a whole group of DC titles from the Silver age (correct me on that if I'm wrong, but I'm thinking these are all Silver age) that would work great together in a more low to average powered setting :

Doom Patrol- the not weird and pot smoking version where they fought guys like General Immortus and Animal/Vegetable/Mineral Man

The Metal Men- another great title that fits in nicely in this type of universe. Sentient robots/androids who have shapeshifting powers based on the type of metal they're made of basicly.

The Challengers of the Unknown- Just a bunch of guys (and a gal) who are hard to kill and love a good adventure!

The Sea Devils- The underwater version of the Challs'

I'd set it in the US during the mid 1950's.

That's about as far as I ever got with the idea though.

I didn't know it was John Byrne at the helm?

yeah, byrnerobitics.com has some sneak shots for the series. Looks like it'll be intreasting. Wonderful or not is debateable until the issues come out.

That's about as far as I ever got with the idea though.
I think that's a great idea. It would have a very distinct period flavour. I hadn't heard of the Sea Devils but I looked them up and discovered they were very much in the FF mould (though actually preceded the Marvel team and almost certainly served as inspiration for them).

Challengers of the Unknown - '57

Sea Devils - '61

Fantastic Four - '61

Metal Men - '62

Doom Patrol - '63

You might want to also look to the Fantastic Four for inspiration. The somewhat darker qualities of Marvel probably inspired the Doom Patrol. Being explorers, like the Challengers and Sea Devils, the FF are sort of a halfway house between them and the Doom Patrol.

It seems to me that explorers were very much in peoples' minds in the late 50s and early 60s presumably due to the start of the space program.

Sputnik - '57

NASA established - '58

First manned space flight - '61

BTW I love the Metal Men. The oldest comic I own is Metal Men #20 - 'Birthday Cake for a Cannibal Robot'. For my own historical superhero universe I was pondering a Silver Age explorer team composed of robots. Robot explorers make a lot of sense being expendable.

Part of me thinks that DC should have taken some efforts to put more of these groups into their timeline between the disbanding of the JSA and the public debut of Superman.

IOW, keep the Doom Patrol as originating in the 60s, for example, with the later incarnations spread over time some.

I think that's a great idea. It would have a very distinct period flavour. I hadn't heard of the Sea Devils but I looked them up and discovered they were very much in the FF mould (though actually preceded the Marvel team and almost certainly served as inspiration for them).

Challengers of the Unknown - '57

Sea Devils - '61

Fantastic Four - '61

Metal Men - '62

Doom Patrol - '63

You might want to also look to the Fantastic Four for inspiration. The somewhat darker qualities of Marvel probably inspired the Doom Patrol. Being explorers, like the Challengers and Sea Devils, the FF are sort of a halfway house between them and the Doom Patrol.

Interesting timeline, I'd never seen that before. I remember reading a Kirby interview where he said that the FF were a kind of next step for the Challengers. Who created the Doom Patrol? They weren't Kirby, were they? They certainly seem to fit into this structure.

Doom Patrol seem to me to also be an answer to the X-Men and Spider-Man... their powers are limited and fairly focused compared to the JLA and most other previous DC heroes, although they are definitely "super", unlike the Challengers or Sea Devils. They are all considered freaks to some extent, like mutants are at Marvel and unlike the JLA were (even though Aquaman probably should have been a Doom Patrol character and not a JLAer, which was a plot element in the JLA Year One mini by Mark Waid a few years ago).

Doom Patrol, as we're talking about it here, seems to mirror Marvel's early Silver Age very well. In fact, I imagine them spouting dialogue that could just as easily have come from the FF and relying on teamwork (rather than individual strength) just like the original X-Men.

The Metal Men, on the other hand, are an interesting case: This group couldn't have been from Marvel's Silver Age; their power levels are too high and the differentiation between them so small (except perhaps for Mercury) that they would have been more apt to serve the Mad Thinker than be a good guy group. I don't think that any of the early Marvel heroes could have matched them in power level, aside from Thor and the Hulk; and the relative power level difference between Marvel and DC at that time (and nowadays to some extent) puts them firmly in the DCU to my mind.

Actually, I believe the Doom Patrol was first. Let me look it up...

First appearance of Doom Patrol: My Greatest Adventure #80, June, 1963.

X-Men #1 (1st Series): September, 1963.

Not as old as the FF or Spider-man, but older than the X-Men.